High B in Burke D Pro Session whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
janmarie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

High B in Burke D Pro Session whistle

Post by janmarie »

The high B on my Burke high D screams. I've tried adjusting air pressure but I can't make in fit in with the other notes or be a little more understated. I love this whistle but I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this problem and had some suggestions. Thanks, janmarie
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: High B in Burke D Pro Session whistle

Post by MTGuru »

Hmm, odd. Burkes are usually well balanced, though any whistle will generally be louder at the the top of the 2nd register.

You can try the O-ring tweak. An O-ring below the window tends to calm and quiet those top notes a bit and reduce the breath pressure needed to make them speak. A #12 O-ring fits the Burke session bore head, and snugs up nicely on the ridge. Let us know if it works for you!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50113
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

Hmmm...I've never had that issue with Mike's session Ds. I have one of the new design DBSBTs and it's fine on the high end and high B. No screaming. Just nice pure, clean notes and well balanced. But it takes some experience and control.

It'd help to know your skill level so we can possibly better assist you. If you're in the beginning stages (as your user name suggests), maybe we can help with breathing technique, approach, etc. Is it the new design or one of the older session Ds? How long have you had it?
janmarie

Post by janmarie »

MT, I'll order the #12 O-ring this week. Thanks! Ballyshannon, I began weekly lessons in January. I defected to whistle from 15 years on the recorder and 5 years on flute. I bought this Burke last fall which may be the new design. I have an Burke Viper low D, Abell low G and a Sindt C and there is not a problem there. I would like to start playing in sessions without calling undue attention to myself. But I am new to all of this so suggestions in air control etc. techniques would be very appreciated. Any thoughts? Thanks. janmarie
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

You have the same whistle as mine, and mine is pretty easy to hit the high B, although takes a bit more push and control...and keep in mind on this whistle it'll be a bit louder than preceding notes. Just curious, have you asked your teacher to give it a go and see how he/she does on the high end? Personally I'm thinking it's just a matter of keeping at it and adjusting to the whistle.

In my experience, I don't recall any tunes that require holding the high B note. I'm sure there are a few but I haven't come across them. I've found the majority of the time a high B will be part of a run of notes and played very briefly as a 1/4, 1/8, etc. Once you get the hang of it, you'll learn how to transition the high B into the mix of surrounding notes without it screaming. Practice, practice, practice.

Suggestions:
(1) Since high D whistles in general require very little air, in anticipation of being "gentle" and not using too much air, many beginners tend to play from their throat instead of from their diaphragm. Be aware of where your "push" is coming from. Are you playing from your throat or developing a solid air flow from deeper down? You'll have much better control playing from the diaphragm.
(2) Maintain a consistent flow of air when transitioning into the second octave and high end.
(3) Mind over matter: Don't anticipate problems and create negativity! Not saying this is the case, but many beginners who know they're having an issue hitting the high end will soon begin anticipating what's about to happen as they're ascending the scale, develop a negative mindset and never conquer the challenge. I've found that much of the time, new players aren't even aware of this negative mindset. Stay positive with the attitude that you WILL accomplish your goal with practice.
(4) Patience is a virtue.

Good luck and let us know how you're progressing.
janmarie

Post by janmarie »

That was really great advice. Actually it is easy to play the high B on the whistle but it's how I make sound that was the problem. After I read your post I changed (or relaxed ) my breathing to just let it come out freely and consistently from my stomach. It was so much better ! It made that high G, A and B melt together more appropriately. I think I was so afraid of squawking on that note I just over attacked it. It will take a bit to incorporate. Yes, my teacher (who is awesome) played it and thought it was too loud also. I love this whistle but when I play at my first session I might buy a tweaked Freeman Mellow Dog that may not bring so much attention to my mess ups. I'm encouraged I can tame that bugger high B now. I'm still going to just check out the #12 O=ring trick. What will it do to lower notes? Is that something I can buy at a hardware store? Thank you so much.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

nuwhistler wrote:I'm still going to just check out the #12 O=ring trick. What will it do to lower notes? Is that something I can buy at a hardware store?
Yes, you sure can. Just look in the plumbing department for 5/8" inside diameter and 13/16" outside diameter. Home Depot sells them with the #12 designation in little packages of 10 for a couple of bucks.

I "discovered" the O-ring tweak for Susatos, and I don't find I need it on my Burke. But I tried it, it fits, and it has the same effect of calming the upper notes slightly. It should have almost no effect on the bottom notes, which is a good thing. :-)

Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Glad to hear it's a bit easier now. I still think it'd be rare to have the need to hold out a high B so wouldn't be too concerned about it. The important thing is you're discovering how to incorporate that high B into a series of notes. As MT pointed out, it's common for the high register to be louder on most whistles and something you have to deal with. You'll get it.

Sessions can be great fun and a valuable learning experience on many fronts, so enjoy your first. Let us know how it goes. Is there a particular session in or around KC you'll be attending?
janmarie

Post by janmarie »

The O ring didn't do anything to my Burke if I was putting it in the right place. On the outside, just below the window right ? Think I'll play some more with it. Ballyshannon, my first playing session will be at The Gaf this afternoon. Thanks for all the help. janmarie
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

nuwhistler wrote:Ballyshannon, my first playing session will be at The Gaf this afternoon. Thanks for all the help. janmarie
Good on ya! Give us your impressions of the session atmosphere and let us know how it goes.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

nuwhistler wrote:The O ring didn't do anything to my Burke if I was putting it in the right place. On the outside, just below the window right ?
Yes, that's right. Well, as I said, I find I don't need it on Burkes, and the effect is subtle, affecting mostly the high A and B. So if your breath control is not yet where it should be, you might not notice the difference. The slight increase in backpressure allows you to back off your breath a bit, allowing those notes to speak more easily.

janmarie

Post by janmarie »

Breaking news update...my screaming D Burke high B is no longer screaming!!! I bought the O ring but didn't work. Worked on my breath control and found it worked occasionally but will take more practice. Then I took the pony tail tail elastic and wrapped it three times and it did it!!! Thank you MTguru (now I don't have to work on my breath control :wink: )
janmarie
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

MTGuru wrote:I "discovered" the O-ring tweak for Susatos...
I bet there's a tale to tell. Were you whistling when someone flicked an O-ring at you, or perhaps whistling when you should've been fixing some plumbing?

The Generation knicker elastic tweak is an even better story...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

nuwhistler wrote:Breaking news update...my screaming D Burke high B is no longer screaming!!!
Good news, janmarie. Sure, anything that creates a ridge below the window. You might find as you improve that you can switch to an O-ring. Oversized rings (larger than #12) can be used if you shim them. Just keep an ear on the overall whistle intonation, to make sure that the ring (or hair band) doesn't flatten things you don't want flattened. :-)

MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

hoopy mike wrote:
MTGuru wrote:I "discovered" the O-ring tweak for Susatos...
I bet there's a tale to tell. Were you whistling when someone flicked an O-ring at you, or perhaps whistling when you should've been fixing some plumbing?
One day I found myself trapped inside a speeding boxcar with no way to escape. Then I remembered an episode of MacGuyver where he escaped from a similar situation using a whistle, an O-ring, and a copy of Teach Yourself Esperanto. Of course, none of that did any bloody good at all, and I was eventually rescued by elves. Meanwhile, I accidentally stumbled upon the O-ring tweak. As for the Esperanto, nun mi parolas Esperanton tre bone. Ĝi estas la internacia lingvo!

Or maybe ...

One day I was contemplating the design of the Generation whistle head, with its prominent ridge and the "bump" on the blade. And thinking, I wonder if the ridge accounts for the smoother upper register compared to the scratchier Feadóg. So I began experimenting with lower air dams using putty, rubber bands, hair bands ... and O-rings, the neatest solution of all. The Susato was a prime candidate because of its notoriously wild upper range, and its perfect design for positioning an O-ring.

BTW, a small lump of blue tack putty positioned on the blade is another interesting experiment to try.