Dixon Low D conical 3-piece whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Latticino
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Dixon Low D conical 3-piece whistle

Post by Latticino »

Hi all,

I've done the search, and while there is a lot of info out about the cylindrical Dixon whistle (or whistle flute combo). There don't appear to be any independant reviews of their newer high end, corked tenon, 3 piece, conical polymer whistle. This is the one that appears to use the same lower section as their better 3 section flute, just with a whistle.head. Looking at photos it appears that this low D whistle has a more small hole R&R type layout which would hopefully make it easier to play using fingertips rather than piper's grip. I'd love to know if any experienced whistlers have played the DX030 recently. The only review I've been able to find says it has a nice mellow tone, but not enough volume for anything but the smallest sessions, and minimal backpressure. At about 1/2 the price of my alternate, Burke Viper, do you think it worth a try?

Thanks
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Dixon Low D conical 3-piece whistle

Post by DrPhill »

Latticino wrote:I'd love to know if any experienced whistlers have played the DX030 recently.
I have one - but I am not an experienced whistler. I did a sort-of review and posted a clip on 'clips and snips' sometime back. You will have to listen past my poor playing, though.
Latticino wrote:it appears that this low D whistle has a more small hole R&R type layout
What is R&R? Rock and Roll? Rest and Recuperation? :D
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

DrPhill wrote:What is R&R? Rock and Roll? Rest and Recuperation? :D
Rudall & Rose. Used to make flutes.
Lots of irish flutes made today are
based on old R&R designs.

http://www.irishflutes.net/mef/RandR.html
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

fearfaoin wrote:
DrPhill wrote:What is R&R? Rock and Roll? Rest and Recuperation? :D
Rudall & Rose. Used to make flutes.
Lots of irish flutes made today are
based on old R&R designs.

http://www.irishflutes.net/mef/RandR.html
Thanks fearfaoin, another useful fact stashed away.
Phill

Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Latticino »

Thanks for the prompt response. What do you think of the whistle? Can you compare it to other low D's you've played? Did you need to use piper's grip, and if so how large are your hands (not to be impertinent)? What about the backpressure issue? Do you find yourself running out of air on long phrases?

Thanks again
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I'll add my two cents here. I think Tony Dixon's instruments provide decent value. Now, I do not own the Dixon three piece low D. I have been curious about the new whistle head but not curious enough to buy one (yet). I do own a couple of the Dixon three piece flutes. I also have a couple of the older Dixon two piece low D's. So take these observations as you see fit.

There is nothing "Rudall and Rose" about the Dixon three piece flute in my experience. Different class of animal. The new whistle is based on the three piece flute. The flute is a nice starter flute with quite small holes and a smallish embouchure. If your concern is hole size and finger spread then this model could be for you. I have smallish hands for a man and can cover the holes of the three piece flute with my finger tips. (I still play it with a piper's grip though.)

Small holes come with a couple of drawbacks you should consider. You will not be able to half-hole some notes and get a good strong note. Eb is out of the question on the Dixon 3 piece flute. That would be the same for the whistle. You won't be playing "Crested Hen" or other tunes that need the Eb note. The volume of some notes may not be as strong and defined as others. Response may be a bit slower too (you may not notice). Small holes tend to result in quieter output. You won't be able to use as many "cheater" or "lazy" fingerings. They result in flat or sharp tones because the small holes don't vent adequately. But as I said. The Dixon three piece flute is still a nice starter flute.

You mention the Burke low D. I also have three Burke low D's. That's what I usually play. They are good whistles. One is an EZ model which helps with the finger spread issue and the hole size of the bottom-most hole. All Burkes have rotatable sections which help facilitate easy reach too.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Feadoggie wrote:I'll add my two cents here.
Small holes come with a couple of drawbacks you should consider. You will not be able to half-hole some notes and get a good strong note. Eb is out of the question on the Dixon 3 piece flute. That would be the same for the whistle. You won't be playing "Crested Hen" or other tunes that need the Eb note. The volume of some notes may not be as strong and defined as others. Response may be a bit slower too (you may not notice). Small holes tend to result in quieter output. You won't be able to use as many "cheater" or "lazy" fingerings. They result in flat or sharp tones because the small holes don't vent adequately. But as I said. The Dixon three piece flute is still a nice starter flute.

Feadoggie
Two cents here also. Players that have learned with larger holes sometimes have an awkward time finding the smaller holes.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Latticino wrote:Thanks for the prompt response. What do you think of the whistle? Can you compare it to other low D's you've played? Did you need to use piper's grip, and if so how large are your hands (not to be impertinent)? What about the backpressure issue? Do you find yourself running out of air on long phrases?

Thanks again
Try this thread first: My Experience of the Dixon Three-Piece Low D

Then you can try to listen to my efforts here: Dixon 3-piece Low D recording

And some further thoughts here: Why does this tweak work?.

As a summary though - easy, quiet, sweet, a little delicate at the lowest point, easy at the top end, lots of air needed (less with the later version head). The bottom end can be strengthened with cheeks and a beard!

I have small to medium size hands, and could handle this whistle easily in the pipers grip. Mind you, I have not found a low D beyond my pipers grip..... though my experience is very limited.

Hope this helps.

[[Edited - I noticed you asked for experiened whistlers comments. Sorry, I am misrepresenting myself then :) ]]
Phill

greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

I did a quick search and couldn't find the DX030 for sale, or listing for it on Dixon's site. Edit OK, just found it-that's the model number for the flute. The 3 pc whistle is called the DX032. Dixon's list price for it is 140 GBP, or about $220 USD, so the price difference between the Dixon and for instance a Burke Viper (your second choice) is not all that much different, only $60 USD. At that small differnce in price, I'd definitely go for the Burke, which seems by many accounts a better all around instrument. Even if the whistle head has been redesigned by Dixon to have more back pressure, it probably still isn't comparable to the Burke.

The other thing I wondered about, is if the tuning on the 3 piece Dixon whistle would be as good as the flute by itself-since it seems whistle/flute combos have had tuning issues in the past to make the compromise. I believe the Sweet's withdrew their conical bore low D combo flute/whistle package from the market for that reason, as I understood it.

So, unless the whistle body is different than the flute body on the Dixon, and designed specifically for the whistle head, there might be some tuning issues. I have no first hand knowledge of if this is true or not, but you or someone who might be interested in a 3 piece whistle or duo might like to find out more before buying.

Barry
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

greenspiderweb wrote:So, unless the whistle body is different than the flute body on the Dixon, and designed specifically for the whistle head, there might be some tuning issues.
Well, going merely by Dixon's website, which says,
Tony Dixon Music wrote:DX030WHD - Solid Polymer Whistle Head for DX030 body
Solid Polymer Whistle Head for DX030 body

Keys: D

£40.00

Solid Polymer Whistle Head for DX030 body
That's a whistle head for the 3 pc flute body. Put them both together, they spell DX032. I'd still like to try one of these but at this point the price outweighs my expectations. I do enjoy the Dixon two piece low D.

Feadoggie
greenspiderweb

Post by greenspiderweb »

So, Feadoggie, are you saying then that there is no difference in the bodies, from what you see on Dixon's website? Not sure if that's the point you are making, in relation to you quoting my excerpt, or if it's just how they came up with the DX032 designation?
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Sorry, Barry, I wasn't trying to obfuscate the issue. I am saying there is no difference between the bodies of the flute and the whistle. If you start with a DX030 flute and then replace the flute head with the DX030WHD whistle head you will then have a DX032 low D whistle.

Feadoggie
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Latticino wrote: my alternate, Burke Viper
Thanks
Here is a pre owned Viper. http://praisewhistlers.org/forum/viewto ... f=5&t=5015
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Feadoggie wrote:Sorry, Barry, I wasn't trying to obfuscate the issue. I am saying there is no difference between the bodies of the flute and the whistle. If you start with a DX030 flute and then replace the flute head with the DX030WHD whistle head you will then have a DX032 low D whistle.

Feadoggie
I concur. I was given a set - whistle head, flute head, two body parts (?!), and a cordura case for the four pieces.
Phill

gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

I had one for a couple of weeks. Please be aware that I am not a very good player, however I have and have owned many low D whistles. The Dixon tapered low D looks great and has a nice tone, however in my humble opinion it has such little back pressure that it is a pain to play. I mean: it is SO easy to jump to the higher octave ! Tony Dixon is aware of that and wrote me months ago that he is planning to release an additional/alternative whistle head with more back pressure, addressed to more experienced players.
However, I believe that this project is still a wish, but has not been realized.