any tricks to speed-up to "full speed"?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
okverka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by okverka »

Do you have any tricks to play at "full speed"? I have found that after knowing about 30 tunes by heart, I did a "big leap" regarding speed, but I it seems that I need another one or two tricks...
Otakar Kverka
Prague
Bohemia, Europe
Try my web with some photos from my Ireland bike holiday and links to Irish music and dance in Czech Republic
http://irsko.unas.cz
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

I tried everything and all I could do was play them constantly and in another YEAR
they all were twice as fast.
I hope you find a quicker solution.
Lolly
Michael Sullivan

Post by Michael Sullivan »

I suggest cybernetic finger implants. Mine work wonders for jigs but get a little sticky with hornpipes. I think it's because I went a little overboard with the deluxe options. But it is nice to be able to get emails on my fingernails now.
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

This is probably no surprise to you, but metronomes are wonderful for their capacity to raise speeds at small increments. Start where you're comfortable, go up setting by setting, and before you know it, you're playing a tune 30 - 50% faster. They're also invaluable for showing you places where you lose pulse; ie, you speed through a figure or add a beat. And they'll also improve your ability to listen critically to your playing.

I know some will say they turn players into unfeeling automatons, but you don't have to let that happen. I think it's an invaluable tool.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My own experience:

It comes in slow steady progress puncuated by the occasional epiphany where it "clicks" and you leap forward a bit.

It's something I'm still working on...as are we all, I suspect.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Thurlowe I'd like to get a good metronome as I know I have a tendency to speed up during a tune. Can you recommend one? I'd like to get an electronic one with an earplug output and a volume control...
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm with James on this one. It'll just come over time with practice. Once your fingers start flying though, don't forget to go back occasionally and play slowly as well. You'll find it somewhat more difficult than fast at that point and really important to do to maintain proper phrasing, rhythm, etc.

Take care,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

There's something you can download called Midi metronome. I find it better than my wife's old mechanical one. Costs nothing, so the price is right.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

But I would like to find something portable so I can practice outside.
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Sorry, there are no short cuts. You'll speed up when you are ready, and you will know when you are ready, because you'll speed up. Speed only happens with time, unless you are highly gifted, and then you would be telling us the answers to obtaining more speed.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I'm with Thurlowe: get a metronome. I don't particularly care for the software ones: that means you have to have the computer on, which means you gotta stop, put down the instrument, type at the keyboard, move the mouse, pcik up the instrument...

I bought a small Korg electronic metronome (includes a jack for an earpiece). It shows a visual (silent) beat, as well as an audible one. So I can set the tempo where I'm comfortable, and raise it incrementally until I'm at the speed I want.

Been using metronomes for years.
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Well, from my own experience, speed can be obtained somewhat very fast, but that's all you will have obtained: speed. You will get speed at the expense of rythm and phrasing. The worse mistake you could make is to try to play fast without having mastered what's really important first. Bottom line, someone who plays fast doesnt mean he plays well. What's really a challenge is to play well *and* fast.

To give you an idea, last summer I was playing with a concertina player in a pub in Miltown Malbay. Well, we were waiting for the "real" hardcore people to come, so I started a tune I knew pretty well, I think it was Banish Misfortune, but I played it [tried to] relatively slow and "with style", a little like Geraldine Cotter or the likes would play it. Well, believe it or not, a known box player, Joe Burke, came and congratulated us. I don't think it was really about the quality of the music, but more about the fact that we didnt emphasise on speed.

To finish, I think nothing's more fun than playing fast, but this isnt what's going to make you a great player.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I agree with Azalin.

I think the best way to
learn to play fast is
to spend a lot of time
playing slowly. Also,
when playing fast and
you have trouble with
a passage play it
slowly, many times
over. Get the fingerings
and transitions between
them just right, slowly.
Then go back to fast.

You know there's an
adage for directors of
plays: 'When a scene
is playing too slowly,
slow it down.'
totst

Post by totst »

On 2002-10-17 22:01, avanutria wrote:
Thurlowe I'd like to get a good metronome as I know I have a tendency to speed up during a tune. Can you recommend one? I'd like to get an electronic one with an earplug output and a volume control...
Hi. I just purchased one at Tom Lee HK and I'm very pleased. This one is real tiny and fits on your ear like an earring. Volume is adjustable by the distance to your ear cavity. It has selection for accents and pulses and speed. Made by Korg. If its available in Hongkong it must be available on the net too.

Tots

I just did a search and found the model number. Korg MM-1 metronome.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: totst on 2002-10-18 04:00 ]</font>
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Though I advocate use of a metronome to help gain speed in playing, I agree with the school of thought that speed is not really the objective. Expression, rhythm and phrasing are all-important. Remeber, these tunes arise from experience and evoke emotional responses. When the tune is played at speeds exceeding the ear's ability to distinguish the notes, the expressions of the tune gets lost. Then, why bother to play it?
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.