Good low whistle for small hands?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Soineanta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Soineanta »

I've been dying to purchase a low whistle, but from all I've read and seen it appears most of them are very hard to handle for small folks such as I. My hands are, seriously, probably the size of an eight-year-old's. Does anyone know of any low whistles with LESS than a gigantic hole-span? Thanks.
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
carrie

Post by carrie »

Burke makes an EZ model that has slightly smaller holes spaced slightly less far apart than on his other low whistles. My 9 yr old son can play it--he could even play it when he was 8! :smile: The piper's grip will also help you cover the holes effectively.

You might also, of course, consider a key higher than a low D. F or G might be much easier for you and still give you that low whistle sound and feel.

Carol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cskinner on 2002-09-29 20:20 ]</font>
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I've measured: The Dixon and Goldie Overton have significantly shorter reaches than the Burke EZ Reach and other Low D's.

Still, for someone who has really small hands I agree with Carol - maybe Low G or F would be best.

Loren
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I have small hands and the Overton Low D (Goldie) is playable with a piper's grip
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Caoimhin

Post by Caoimhin »

A few weeks ago I would have said go for a Dixon Low D - it's perfect for beginners.

But now, after going through certain experiences, as in the Dixon's lack of the tone I want (it's just me), from now on I would recommend for those who are able to , to go for ann Overton. Or something else just as easy.

But then again, the Dixon's soooo cheap. Easy access to one. Compared to an Overton.
Your choice. There's so many.

Just, DON'T touch a Copeland. Your wallet will cry.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Caoimhin on 2002-09-30 05:38 ]</font>
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

From my humble beginner's point of view, Alba's standard Low D would be nice: limited spacing, smaller-than-average holes. No real wonder knowing a lass designed it ? Also, its bottom end--c'mon I mean that of the whistle--is strong and clean. No wonder with an ear tuned to Lafranconis ? And it may be--yes--breathy, but without any buzz, kinda "breath + flute" sound, with the wind sound remaining contant, drone-like across both octaves. I like it.

Now, the best choice may be a Colin Goldie's Overton Low D. If you contact him directly, he'll take in account all your wishes and needs, for ease of use as well as tone. Do it fast for 2 reasons : 1) there's a waiting list ; 2) soon or late, the lovely chap will realize he's wasting his talent by selling custom-tailored instruments, at run-of-the-mill stamp-out prices !
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Er, what's Siesta Key ? Sorta modal salsa ?
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

I think a Howard low D might suite your small hands
Listen, play and have fun!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-09-30 18:32, sweetone wrote:
I think a Howard low D might suite your small hands
You have got to be kidding! The holes on a Howard are quite large..... Nice sounding whistle, but for someone with tiny hands? I don't think so.

Loren
sweetone

Post by sweetone »

that's right loren, the wholes are large, but not as wide as f.e. overton, which can't be played with small hands
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I haven't played one yet, but it sounds to me like the best choice for someone with a reach problem would be the new Reyburn whistle with the offset holes, making them easier to reach.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-10-01 06:38, sweetone wrote:
that's right loren, the wholes are large, but not as wide as f.e. overton, which can't be played with small hands
Sweetone,

If you're saying that the hole spacing is longer on the Overton, then you must have played/owned an Older Bernard Overton made whistle. I say this because having measured both the Howard and a Goldie Overton Low D, I can assure you that the holes on the Howard are NOT closer together than they are on the Overton.

In fact, my first 2 Low D whistles were the Howard and Overton. I have small hands and I had a VERY difficult time sealing the Howard's large holes and making the finger stretch, however as soon as I got the Overton a month or two later, I was immediately able to play it, no problem.

I believe Bernard now also makes Low D's with a finger spacing similar to what Colin has been using.

Still, I won't argue that the Howard is a good whistle for the money, and if one has thick/wide fingers, it's certainly a choice worth considering.

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-10-01 06:44, blackhawk wrote:
I haven't played one yet, but it sounds to me like the best choice for someone with a reach problem would be the new Reyburn whistle with the offset holes, making them easier to reach.
Blackhawk,

Unless Ronaldo has made a change to the hole size/spacing since I tried his Low D whistles, I would say they are one of the more difficult Low D's to play, reach wise. I tried both the inline and offset pattern D's and found the stretch to be uncomfortably long on both - a longer reach than "average" to be sure.

There are only a few Low D's I've really had to struggle with, in regards to making the reach and covering the holes, the Reyburn is one of them. Now, to be fair, some people don't mind using their Pinky instead of the ring finger(s) when playing, and for those people, the Reyburn should work out just fine. Personally, since I don't play flute, high whistles, or my other low whistles with my little fingers, I wouldn't change my habits just so I could play a Reyburn Low D, and without making that change, I found the Reyburn stretch, offset holes or no, to be a bear.

Loren
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

On 2002-09-30 04:05, Caoimhin wrote:
Just, DON'T touch a Copeland. Your wallet will cry.
*nods vigorously*

:lol:
skywatcher

Post by skywatcher »

I agree with Loren. I have very small hands and have tried several low Ds and have found that my recent Goldie Overton is the easiest of the few that I've tried. Even though it's the easiest reach, it still is quite a reach for me. I can just play it with piper fingering. It is probably the absloute lowest whistle that I could play. If needing to play in the key of D isn't an issue, get a low G or low F whistle, as someone else suggested. These still have that incredible sound, but are much easier to play. In fact, an Overton in one of these keys would be a great idea!
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"