Rolls on A and B

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottadm

Rolls on A and B

Post by scottadm »

I have been working diligently on my rolls getting the rhythm even and up to speed but I have been stuck on the pesky A and B. My rolls on A are marginal and my rolls on B are downright atrocious. Does anyone have any tips on rolling these two nasty notes. I have been cutting one up and taping one down. Maybe this isn't the best way. Any help would be appreciated.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Those rolls are my bane. I try to do them slowly, over and over. I also try to do finger exercises without the whistle, by drumming my first three fingers in a differing rhythms and speeds, working toward smoothness and building up strength and consistency. I've seen a VEEERRY gradual improvement in my A and B rolls. Also, I find tunes that feature those rolls and play those sections over and over, very slowly. Sometimes, in session at speed, I'll hit one of those puppies perfecty and I'm thrilled.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

FJohnSharp wrote:Sometimes, in session at speed, I'll hit one of those puppies perfecty and I'm thrilled.
"trilled", shurley. The "h" is silent. :-)

stay hoopy,
Mike
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Rolls take a whole long time to get solid, in my experience. The only way to learn them, I think, is to slow them down and to perform them very deliberately with exaggerated finger movement. No matter how you'll want to play them in tunes up to tempo eventually (straight or delayed), I think they need to be practiced straight, with an even rhythm. Review Brother Steve's Dah-Blah-Blah method. You need to play them so slowly that you can count each eighth (using a metronome is a painful but very instructive exercise here). This goes for all rolls, including A & B rolls. A rolls are harder than B rolls (on the whistle) once you get the cut with L1 crisp and short. Both can be mastered by working on them every day and not speeding up too soon. And relax your top finger...
/Bloomfield
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Avoid finger tension and death grip. Focus on accurate placement of the tapping finger instead of getting a "tight" seal. Finger independence, and as others have said, rhythm also have a lot to do with getting the right sound.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Bloomfield wrote:Rolls take a whole long time to get solid, in my experience. The only way to learn them, I think, is to slow them down and to perform them very deliberately with exaggerated finger movement. No matter how you'll want to play them in tunes up to tempo eventually (straight or delayed), I think they need to be practiced straight, with an even rhythm. Review Brother Steve's Dah-Blah-Blah method. You need to play them so slowly that you can count each eighth (using a metronome is a painful but very instructive exercise here). This goes for all rolls, including A & B rolls. A rolls are harder than B rolls (on the whistle) once you get the cut with L1 crisp and short. Both can be mastered by working on them every day and not speeding up too soon. And relax your top finger...
Yes indeed, this was how I first started learning those long rolls. Brother Steve's method proved brilliant.

Try stretching your fingers out before practice, or get one of those hand squeezing tools, anything to losen up those fingers. Playing a low D then coming to the high D is one way to go. Makes it feel like a child's toy to the fingers.

Only thing I'd add is, make sure all your fingers are relaxed, death grip is a no-no!
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Whiddler
Tell us something.: I'm really a fiddler but in Jan. '24 I finally gave a proper effort to learning to play the Tipple flute I've had lying around since '08, and now I can't stop. It's all because I had an epiphany that the flute can be played without having to get out of bed.

Post by Whiddler »

Do you guys know why A and B rolls are any harder than E and F# ones? Physically, they're the same, but they use opposite hands. It is just that your left hands are less coordinated?
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Whiddler wrote:Do you guys know why A and B rolls are any harder than E and F# ones? Physically, they're the same, but they use opposite hands.
Not the way I play them -- on both E and F# rolls I cut with the third finger of my top hand. That splits the roll across both hands, which is easier, IMO.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
West

Post by West »

Whiddler wrote:Do you guys know why A and B rolls are any harder than E and F# ones? Physically, they're the same, but they use opposite hands. It is just that your left hands are less coordinated?
Are there any other guitar (or other stringed instrument) players here who also feel that the exact opposite is true for them? My left hand is much more agile and coordinated than my right. And I'm not a lefty, I might add.
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Not for me. I play guitar too, but when it comes to rolls with the left hand on the whistle, I'm slower than a wet week.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
john17

Post by john17 »

OK, let's really throw a curve ball into the equation...

I am left handed, play guitar, and find A rolls to be my most challenging roll....but the catch is I play whistle with my right hand on top! Don't know why, it was just the way my hands went when I picked a whistle up for the first time.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Practice them every day but don't practice too long. Especially when I first tried them, I found my fingers tensing up after a minute or so of steady practice. Take a break, stretch and relax then start again. If the fingers are still tight, practice something else and come back tomorrow. Enjoy the journey, Grasshopper.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

john17 wrote:I play whistle with my right hand on top! Don't know why, it was just the way my hands went when I picked a whistle up for the first time.
Well in technical terms, this is playing the whistle left-handed. Perhaps that is why you just started playing that way, but then again, I am right-handed in a lot of things, but I too play whistle left-handed (right hand on top) and I also picked up the whistle for the first time like this, and it stuck. Figure that one out.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

This probably isn't going to help much, sorry. I do appreciate that a good few folks have this issue, but I've never for the life of me quite understood why. Nor can I recall it having been much of a problem for anyone I have taught ITM articul/ornament-ation techniques to. I don't remember having a problem myself so far as I can remember my early stages with such things. (It was along time ago!).

Once you have mastered the basic relaxed, crisp tap and, separately, the cut, with every finger, a little practise should let you do a roll with any finger combination. Why the L/top hand A and B ones might be any harder than any others I don't understand - unless the person has not got a proper secure support system for their whistle or flute and is trying to use those particular fingers from a tense, gripping starting position. In which case, sort out your hold and learn to relax. Practise the taps - throwing a bouncy finger at the tube/tone-hole - and cuts - a relaxed hop/blip - separately, then gradually build them into a joined sequence and speed up, always making sure you relax between the very brief voluntarily controlled muscle tensions that drive the discreet motions - and that no other part of the hand is tense.

Getting the timing right in terms of the musical use of the technique, the correct placement of it within the note/note sequence to achieve the desired/relevant effect can't really be dealt with until you master the mechanics.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Whiddler
Tell us something.: I'm really a fiddler but in Jan. '24 I finally gave a proper effort to learning to play the Tipple flute I've had lying around since '08, and now I can't stop. It's all because I had an epiphany that the flute can be played without having to get out of bed.

Post by Whiddler »

Key_of_D wrote:I also picked up the whistle for the first time like this, and it stuck. Figure that one out.
It was the same with me for the first, I don't know, six months or so. I never had a teacher so nobody "corrected" me, but I decided to switch to the more common hold after that anyway, just for the sake of conformity. :D