CP: New Bracker High Whistle Models (C, D, Eb etc)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

CP: New Bracker High Whistle Models (C, D, Eb etc)

Post by hans »

I am happy to tell you that I've developed a complete new range of high aluminium whistles, from B to high E, with new standard high C, D and Eb whistles, each made with optimised bore size. I revised the finger hole sizes, the general tuning, the windway and window geometry, and use thinner sleeving for the tuning slide, to give the whistles a slimmer look, and lighter weight. I use a thin strip of Tech-Cork on the tenon for the slide. Tech-Cork is much tougher than ordinary cork, it is a mix of cork and synthetic rubber.

Standard C, D and Eb whistle:

Here is a sound sample of the standard C whistle:
http://soundcloud.com/hans-bracker/polska-fran-sormland

And here is sound sample of the standard D whistle:
http://soundcloud.com/hans-bracker/hakkis-polka

I am using thin walled aluminium tubing in different bore sizes for optimal tone. Narrow and wide bore models are available for some keys like D and C, as well as combo whistle sets with one head and several bodies, in optimised ranges.

The whistles have good to loud volume, with a good dynamic range. The new hole pattern makes the high end much easier, and gives some good cross fingering for Cnat and Bb (in D whistle terminology). There are small tonal differences between a wide, a standard and a narrow bore D (and other keys); the narrow bore model has more harmonic overtones, the wide bore model less. The volume is nearly the same though, using the same sizes for windway and window.

Wide, standard and narrow bore D whistle:

See also http://bracker.co/music/Whistles/HighWhistles

The lessons I learned in the development of these high whistles will also be used for the lower whistles. I just made a G whistle using the new hole pattern, which turned out very well, easy to play, and with good volume and very good dynamic range:

I am happy to answer your questions, and to work with any special wishes regarding tone hole positions, tuning or breath requirements. I like exploring new possibilities, learn along the way, and make instruments which are special to me and hopefully to you!
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: CP: New Bracker High Whistle Models (C, D, Eb etc)

Post by riverman »

Nice sounding whistles!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

They look very nice indeed, Hans. Do you use any other materials than aluminium? Just curious ...
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

Thank you both!

Ben, the plugs are made of black Delrin. Is that what you meant?
Or if I make whistles in other materials than aluminium?
Not at present. I'd love to learn making wooden whistles one day, but I would need a bigger workshop and a much bigger lathe suitable for boring.
My workshop is tiny with only a few small machines.
But I just got delivery of my first metal lathe, to help machining some parts for the heads. It is a 12"x7" mini lathe and sits now beside my small wood turning lathe on the bench. I am totally excited about this tool, but it will take some learning!
Bench with small wood and metal lathes:
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

No. I kind of assumed - probably shouldn't have - that the plugs were delrin. It was the main body of the whistle I was interested in. I have a thing about aluminium. It's a personal prejudice - nothing more - so I was wondering if your current setup allowed you to construct whistles in brass, nickel, even stainless steel (though I gather from other makers that this is an absolute pig to work with, for some reason).

And of course, I wouldn't have bothered to ask at all if I didn't think your whistles look really nice. :thumbsup:
hans

Post by hans »

I made brass whistle bodies, but I would not like brass in my mouth, which leaves the option of making a Delrin head. I have not tried this. Aluminium is a lot kinder to work on. Brass is workable, but so much harder. The body also stains easier than aluminium under my fingers. So I guess I have a prejudice towards aluminium! For some whistles I made silver lip plates, which in combination with the Delrin plug reduces mouth contact to aluminium a lot. I'd love to make a few whistles in Sterling silver though! Probably about £300 for a high D or C whistle I reckon. Silver tubing is available, but I have not checked the price recently.
Last edited by hans on Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Let me know when you do!

:D

... and, in the meantime, best of luck with those lovely looking whistles of yours.
Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

Stainless Steel ... I gather from other makers that this is an absolute pig to work with, for some reason
I've not tried to make a whistle from it ... probably wouldn't want to ... but I have used it for other engineering projects. It's very hard, so less easy to drill/file/cut than more "traditional" metals, and if you do try to heat-treat it, to soften it, it's a pig to re-polish afterwards ... other than that, no problem :twisted:
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Lovely looking whistles Hans; I wish I had the budget to purchase. One day, one day..........
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

Hans--how about composite or polymer bodies?
hans

Post by hans »

Ben, I will! But I probably need sponsors or a prepaid order first, in order to buy the silver! I am not counting it out, seriously! There is something special working with silver.

Phill: thanks!

Randy, the idea of mixing large quantities of chemicals frightens me. Some ready made carbon tubing is available, but not necessarily in the right sizes. It is also expensive. I've now developed some good practise and skills working with aluminium tubing and happy to continue with the designs developed so far, at the same time being flexible to do customisations.