O'Riordan (price?)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MJ1619

O'Riordan (price?)

Post by MJ1619 »

Hey everybody,

I have a question and I hope that someone may be able to answer it. There is a 2007 O'Riordan Concert D in Kingwood up for sale. The price is listed as $799. Having little experience either with O'Riordans (though loving their sound) or previously-owned whistles in general, I want to ask if this price is typical/reasonable.

Thank you,

Michael

P.S. If I have committed an egregious error in asking this question, I offer my apologies. I am just looking for information.

Thanks again.
narrowdog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

Hi
If its the one I think you mean then it'll be a fair price (sadly thats what the're going for now).
Doc's a great guy, having done business with him a couple of times I've got nothing but good things to say about him and I think I can speak for all here :)

Cheers
Happiness is taking things as they are.
crickett

Post by crickett »

I agree w/Narrowdog that unfortunately those beautiful whistles are going for an arm and a leg, and that Doc is a great guy to work with. If you are interested in the whistle and you have something(s) to trade in, don't hesitate to talk to him.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

There have been many threads about this topic (i.e., are O'Riordans generally worth the going market rate, not this specific whistle), usually winding up somewhere around, "If it's worth it to you, then it's worth it."

Consider:

- Pat O'Riordan does not charge that much and has never varied from that stance no matter the secondary market
- For all intents and purposes, his whistles are just not available new from him anymore, unless you're already on a waiting list
- Yes, Doc seems an honorable, fair easy to deal with guy, who is probably charging what these would bring on ebay anyway (and likely donating a portion)
- I have never played a wooden O'Riordan, but have a set of anodized aluminum Travelers (D/C, A/Bflat, G, low D 3-piece). I love them. The C/D set is terrific, the low D is very good, but the class of the line IMO are the mid range whistles - Bflat (best there is), A, and G (best there is). I got the D/C set on ebay for $701 dollars several years ago; I talked myself into it because I was getting 2 whistles, not one and because part of it I believe went to an army base charity. I'm glad I bought the set. The G and low D were sold to me by a Chiffer at about cost (Pat's) years ago; I got the Bflat/A set direct from Pat at his usual going rate (much lower than the market).

I hope this is helpful; but it still comes back to the last sentence of paragraph one above.
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

Hey guys,

Thank you for your input. Yes narrowdog, it is the one at the Irish Flute store. I was really hesitant about asking this question, because I did not want to insult Doc. Doc, if you read this thread, no offense was intended. I know that you are an honest and honorable dealer. It is just that I have so little experience, as I said. I have heard (and held, but unfortunately not played) an O'Riordan set (D, C, and Eb I believe) in person. It was made in 1987, I think. It was gorgeous, both in terms of sound and finish, but that is the extent of my experience with them.

What amazes me is looking at their prices versus other makers. The closest I've seen are Chris Abells. New those are $400, currently, and I've seen several previously-owned instruments pushing the $500-mark. But then there seems to be an astronomical leap to the O'Riordans at near double the price. I guess the parsimonious side of me is asking whether such a price is justified.

Thanks again,

Michael
jpmcneely

Post by jpmcneely »

Hi, just my $0.02.

I have a C/D set in wood that I got at the Johnny Appleseed Festival from Pat in 1992. His price at that time was *amazingly* reasonable, and I understand that that situation has not changed. I'm not really in touch with a lot of other whistle players, so I really had no idea what I really bought at the time. I just knew that I had never played anything that had such wonderful tone (and never anything that played so easily). About 2 years ago I was offered a significant amount for them, and needed the money pretty badly at the time. I decided to keep them because I'm not likely to get lucky enough to find another set. I had met Pat again a few years after I got them, and it sounded like he was keeping pretty busy (waiting list, etc).

I wouldn't take any amount of money for mine. As I'm sure is true with all true craftsmen, his instruments are a work of art. If you have the means to get one, I don't think you'll regret it. Mine are going to whichever of my sons decides to keep playing Irish music when I'm gone - That's how much I value them.

As a side note, I've read many messages here regarding Pat O'Riorden the man, and I couldn't agree more. He is, without question, one of the nicest people it has ever been my pleasure to meet.

Sorry for the long post :)
Joe
MJ1619

Post by MJ1619 »

jpmcneely,

Please don't apologize for your post. I appreciate you taking the time to tell me your "$0.02" as you put it. It truly sounds as if you have two wonderful instruments. I only wish that Mr. O'Riordan was still accepting orders or that there was someway that I could contact him about his waiting list.

The best to you and may you enjoy your O'Riordan's for a long time.

Regards,

Michael
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

No offense taken. :)

I paid not much less than what I'm charging for that one.

It's just the mechanics of supply and demand in operation. Pat makes lovely whistles and is a truly lovely fellow. I've interacted with him on many occasions and have always been edified by the experience.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
rhulsey

Post by rhulsey »

Michael -

I sent you a PM.

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I am blessed with 6 O'Riordan whistles of his Traveller (he seems to use the 'double L' spelling) series. I purchased my D,C,Bb,A, and G from Pat himself, at his truly fair prices, which - as Philo relates - are far, far below market value. With intervening time, and other issues, it was only by Pat's kindness that I own these whistles. My high e was gifted to me by a board member. Quite a gift... The instrument had a few minor mechanical challenges. One of them was the lack of friction in the tuning slide. I played it for awhile, and during a phone conversation with Pat, I mentioned my high e. He asked me to return it to him. When it came back to me, it looked - and played - like new. He would take no payment.

As I have related before, both Pat - and Doc - are simply two of the most stand-up people I am honored to know, in the whistle-world.

Be well, all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

I have one of Pat's D/C sets that I got in 1993.

Has he changed mouth pieces?

any one have his contact information.

Thanks .... Ed
lathem

Post by lathem »

PhilO wrote:I got the D/C set on ebay for $701 dollars several years ago; I talked myself into it because I was getting 2 whistles, not one and because part of it I believe went to an army base charity. I'm glad I bought the set...
I'm glad you like them, Phil.

BTW, the charity in question was "Military Community Youth Ministries." They're an ecumenical organization that does great work with military kids around the world--my own kids went on a couple of service projects to eastern Europe with them. I'm not normally opposed to making a profit, but considering the kind of guy Pat O'Riordan is I thought the lion's share of the money should go somewhere other than my pocket.

I'm not saint, however, as I did keep some profit--I did wait three years for them, after all. :wink:

--
Mark
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

hey Mark - good to hear from you. Yes, I never regretted that transaction and was glad that in addition to great whistles some portion would go to a worthwhile cause. Totally happy with them. And Pat is a wonderfully talented unassuming guy in a world where either quality is hard to find. Hope all is well with you. Take care.

Phil
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.