Ignorant newbie looking to learn the whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
samp

Ignorant newbie looking to learn the whistle

Post by samp »

Hello,

I am from and living in the UK and have always loved irish folk music, I was listening to some the other day and just felt inspired to learn the whistle.

I have read that the most common whistles are in a D, or C. And that cheap whistles are often very good. As I said before I am from the UK, and I wondered if anyone can give me some advice on purchasing my first whistle, and if you know any good suppliers.

Thanks for any help,
Sam
kennychaffin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kennychaffin »

Hey Sam, I'm pretty new myself, but yes the key of D is pretty much the standard Irish whistle. There are a lot of them about Generation is very popular of the low-priced whistles but the quality is sometimes hit and miss so if that's the way you want to go, it would be good to try several at a shop and make sure you get a good one (that doesn't squeak or sound too breathy). Next step up which is what I'd recommend is a Dixon Traditional which is very fine beginners whistle.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
charlie_butterworth

Post by charlie_butterworth »

Sam,

I would "second" what Kenny recommended. You could go real cheap and maybe get a great whistle, or go a little more expensive (around 12 UK pounds) and get a Dixon Trad. I just got one (in nickel). It feels light and the fipple appears "cheap" but it plays easily and sounds good.

The difficulty with whistles (for me, and likely many others) is the obsessive desire to obtain more whistles! Afterall, even the most expensive are within most folks' financial grasp. BUT, many famed whistlers play the "cheap" whistles and play them very well.

Regards,
Charlie
Fun Time Dub

Post by Fun Time Dub »

I'm pretty new myself but I bought a Dixon SV to practice with. It sounds pretty good but the best bit is that it is extremely quiet so you won't annoy your housemates or neighbours when you practice.
syphonic

Post by syphonic »

I'd suggest start off with a clarke and tweak it a little and you can have a good, playable, pretty in tune whistle.
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

Hi and welcome the weird and wonderful world of the whistle.

I would always recommend a Clarke Original. I do this for teh following reasons:

a/ Cheap
b/ very forgiving especially for a beginner.
c/ quiet and mellow - handy when you practice at home, doesn't have such a catastrophic effect on the dog!
d/ has quite a high breath requirement. I think this is useful as a beginner as it helps with breathing techniques.
e/ It looks a bit more professional than the brass Feadog, Walton and Generation with those nasty plasticky bits. (OK, OK! it's only my opinion, don't lets start another thread! :D )

You don't know what you have let yourself into!
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

True about the Clarke. I love my Clarke originals - takes more air than Generation or Dixon Trad though. I love the tone. The Dixon Trad just barely edges it out on my personal preference scale though. :)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
samp

Post by samp »

Thanks for all your replies. Do you know of any good online retailer I could purchase a Clarke Original from (UK)?
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi Sam, and welcome.
What part of Britain are you in?
Wherever you are, there is a very good chance your local music shop(s) will stock at least Generation and/or Clarkes original/Sweetone. Any difficulties, get 'em online from The Music Room or Hobgoblin, but then you can't try 'em out, of course. For starters you want a D which is the "standard" instrument. As suggested above, insist on trying out a few in the music shop as some may be duds, and if there is a choice of makes you may prefer one over another (Personally I detest Clarkes, both types, but that is personal). The Dixon or a Susato or a Guido Gonzato (see recent threads reviewing and sampling his whistles) is the next step up, but I'd say go for Gen to start with.

Good luck!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
samp

Post by samp »

Thanks so much for all your help.

To learn to play the instrument do you have any advice, in terms of resources like books or websites which you have found particularly helpful yourself?

Would be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

You've found the best resource - this forum. Spend some time exploring it - try the YouTube sticky thread for clips of good playing, browse the main pages of the website for info about the instruments......... There are plenty of other online resources too, many of which will be linked from somewhere on this site. I wouldn't recommend any particular book, though Steaffan Hannigan's Low Whistle Book is quite good - and everything in it is applicable to high (normal) whistle too really, at least so far as playing technique goes. Getting out to some sessions if you can/have any locally and maybe trying for a few lessons if you have a Comhaltas branch near you, or a proficient whistler who will give lessons.
Do tell us what part of Britain you're in and maybe we can be more specific......... Saying something about your own musical background could also guide our advice - have you ever played any other instrument, and if so to what standard and in what genre? Have you listened to much traditional music, Irish or otherwise, or is it all pretty new to you??
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

There are a lot of helpful YouTube videos, especially a bunch from Tradlessons.com -- by Michael Eskin, who I think is on this board from time to time. Those are videos that have a tune played at full speed, and also played slowly to help with learning. Very helpful, not just for learning tunes, but also learning the ornamentation.

Some others here have done the same thing, like jemtheflute, if memory serves.

For books, I have one of Grey Larsen's books. I forget the title, but it's the smaller of his books, and it's still substantial. I find it very helpful.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I'd also recommend Ryan Duns' videos on Youtube.

If you're looking for more reading rather than watching videos, Brother Steve's is a good site:

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/

If you want an actual book, the book put out by Clarke (by Bill Ochs) is a very good one, clearly and simply written.

If you want a tome that gives every little detail and nuance, check out Grey Larsen's Irish Flute and Whistle book. It's a great book, but too much detail for some. He has an abbreviated version for whistle only, but I'd bet it's just as detailed.

Jason
charlie_butterworth

Post by charlie_butterworth »

Sammy,

For me the book, which was the most useful was Grey Larsen's Tinwhistle Toolbox. I really liked how he presented information and examples for the basic ornamentations. It doesn't have a lot of full tunes in it, but you can get many of those on the internet.

Not having had formal lessons, I am guessing here, but I expect that lessons with a skilled whistle player would beat anything that you could learn from a book. I am a relative beginner myself and am looking forward to taking lessons later this year.

Charlie
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

Another very useful shop is Big Whistle: www. bigwhistle.co.uk - they are very helpful, with quick delivery.
Welcome to the forum!
Lesley