Sheet Music with Different Keyed Whistles....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lori Peters
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lori Peters »

Ok,
This is going to be a confusing question, at least for me! :smile:
When you are playing sheet music with a whistle other than a D, do you try to stay with the keyed structure of th piece (such as playing a D when it is called for), or do you just make like you're playing your good old D whistle but in the end are playing the song in the key of G (such as with a G whistle).

I'm finding it difficult to change my mentality per whistle...I got the D fingering pounded into my brain...so I'm pretending I'm still playing my D whistle when I'm not, even reading music. Example...playing a G instead of the D that the music calls for....

Anyone have any advice on how I can train my brain?? Thanks....I know this was clear as mud, but hopefully someone can interpret alien :wink:
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

On 2001-08-20 12:41, Lori Peters wrote:
...When you are playing sheet music with a whistle other than a D, do you try to stay with the keyed structure of the piece (such as playing a D when it is called for)...
that's going to be difficult the more different-keyed whistles you get! The D will be at a different place for each whistle.

THe above scenario is only applicable if you are playing with others and really have to follow the score because you can't wing the piece by ear, and can't, for some reason use your D whistle.

Try the C whistles: if you play keyboards you can relate the 6 holes to the white keys. Like all things, you need practice.

I'm not at all sure it's necessary to practice this with all other keys unless you do a lot of sightreading of scores.
or do you just make like you're playing your good old D whistle but in the end are playing the song in the key of G (such as with a G whistle).
if you're playing by yourself, why not?
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

Thank you!

I thought maybe I was breaking some unwritten rule...I don't usually play with others, and when I do, I play the D...but I'm liking my G whistle so much I might just have to superglue it to my mouth :wink:

Oh well, I guess I shouldn't worry...most of the time when I play with others they always ask me what key I'm in...make THEM do the hard work! LOL!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Traditional whistle players don't play from sheet music and why do you people keep calling tunes 'songs'??

anyway, assuming we are talking Irish music here tunes in D,G and related minor keys are played on a D whistle. There is little call for whistles in other keys unless you play those fiddle tunes in D/Gminor in which case a C whistle comes in handy (even though most can be tackled on a D whistle in the hands of a competent player).
Another occasion for using different keyed whistles is when playing with different keyed instruments : flat sets of pipes, lower tuned fiddles or concertinas in other than the usual keys.
In those cases the notes are still referred to as being pitched in D eg. when you would be playing with say a piper who plays a C set, a fiddle player would ask for an A to tune his/her fiddle to, the piper would finger the chanter like playing in D, but as he has a C chanter he gives the fiddle player effectively a G so that the fiddle is tuned a full tone down. which actually works great.
Confused?? on't worry try playing nice music without thinking about it too much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2001-08-20 13:58 ]</font>
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

On 2001-08-20 13:55, Lori Peters wrote:

I thought maybe I was breaking some unwritten rule...I don't usually play with others, and when I do, I play the D...but I'm liking my G whistle so much I might just have to superglue it to my mouth :wink:
As long as you enjoy it and the people around you aren't running away, then no rules are being broken. "Tradition" would say that tunes should be played on a D whistle; but traditions change. (My favorite tradition was broken with the invent of indoor plumbing :lol:)

If you like the G whistle, and will play it - all the more power to you. My personal favorite whistle Keys are A and Bb. I don't remember any reference, but is your fav a high G or a low G? If it's the High G, just remind me not to bring any dogs should I ever have the need to visit. :smile:

-Frank
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I always have fun trying to take songs written in nice keys like B flat and play them on my D whistle. My brain contorts. I can transpose on the fly if there are no accidentals.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

On 2001-08-20 13:56, Peter Laban wrote:
Traditional whistle players don't play from sheet music and why do you people keep calling tunes 'songs'??
Funny, but the neighbor dog LOVED the high g, and would bark when I'd STOP! LOL...

Ok, first, I'm not irish...second, I have never been and will never BE a "traditionalist", 3rd....a tune is a song to me. If it's got a melody, it's a song, the song has a tune, etc etc....I wasn't aware there was a correct terminology ....

I play by eye AND by ear, and will switch back and forth when I need (or want) to, depending on the situation. I learned to play music by ear, then went on to serious studies when I could read :smile: Which I will never regret, and I'll never feel bad for looking at notes on a page. Improvisation is not one of my good points...but I'm working on it.

There's my story...blunt as it may be! LOL...all the debates about eyes vs. ears are a futile point in my opinion, because there are those who CHOOSE or want to play the way they feel most comfortable....everyone has the right to their own way. If it sounds beautiful, it's music, bottom line.

So I guess this gives me an excuse to not worry about the key...I'll just pretend I don't know :wink:
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

For what it's worth, it's really simple -- a song is something you sing. It's got words. Those words are set to the melody -- the tune. And it's not a traditional-Irish thing; 'song' is something sung in jazz and in chamber music, for instance.
<ul>-Rich</ul>
cj

Post by cj »

Amen! I'm not a traditionalist either. In fact, I'm looking to incorporate my whistles into my rock/country/blues jam group. I too believe one can both play by ear AND read music and agree that the words "songs" and "tunes" can both be used here and not be sacrilege.

To answer your original question, if you play, say, a B-flat whistle and use the D fingerings, it will sound the same as if you'd played the tune in the key of B-flat. In other words, if you had accompaniment, that person would be playing in B-flat, assuming they were matching your whistle, of course! So the best thing to do is to have several whistles in different keys (if possible) and use the one you need to play with others. Get familiar with which keys each one can play well (say, a D whistle plays D & G well). As the others said, most whistle music is written in D or G, so you can probably play the D or G fingerings on other-keyed whistles, just make sure the other players are in the same key. Someone else mentioned relating to a keyboard, this is a good idea, some combination of that and using the ear will be the key. Sorry if long-winded, but hope it helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cj on 2001-08-20 16:58 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: cj on 2001-08-20 17:00 ]</font>
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

This last bit was very much as I said it: D is the 'reference key' when you change whistle your are effectively transposing even though you will still refer to the notes as if they would be in D. This will be fierce complicated for your accom-pianist.
As regards to what also said 'traditions change' they do and they need to, it's part of their nature. Change will only come slow, traditions are also by nature conservative and change will only come from within and with the consent of other members of the tradition. So, to change it, you will have to master and become part of it first.
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

What I meant by not being a traditionalist....I play the whistle because I enjoy it. I play anything on it...not just irish TUNES (there, did I get it right??)...

I was at a jam this weekend and swooned over a guy playing one of my whistles in jazz improv....NOT traditional at all, but still mind blowing. THAT'S what I like about it. It's diversity.

I would never take the authority to change tradition...I ain't that great! LOL...but to have the guts to do something completely NOT traditional is admirable, to say the least.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

We're obviously almost living in different worlds. Whatever..
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

Yes, obviously...but does that make me LESS of a whistler, or PERSON for that matter?? Just because we differ in opinion doesn't make me not of your "world"....what an arrogant statement. I would never judge someone on their difference of opinion, especially when music is involved...it's like telling an artist that they shouldn't have used that yellow in that spot. Geez!

Nowhere on this site does it say for irish traditionalists only....this is a whistle forum. While I enjoy traditional music and techniques, I also like to expand to other areas. It's called ummmm.....creativity??
If that makes me less than human, than I guess I'm in the wrong place....
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

No, Lori, you're NOT in the wrong place. You're a person with broader sensibilities than any hidebound, narrow minded person who needs to nit pick in order to feel 'in the know'.

Relax and enjoy. There are far more people here who are easy-going and enjoy music for music, and I for one play as much Brit, contra, new-age, and americana as I do irish.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Hadda look some alternate meanings up..

TUNE a archaic : a frame of mind : MOOD b : AGREEMENT, HARMONY "in tune with the times" c : general attitude : APPROACH "changed his tune when the going got rough"

SONG a : a habitual or characteristic manner b : a violent, abusive, or noisy reaction "put up quite a song"

Question: I bought some sheet music of stuff recorded by a Traditional Irish Whistler. Is this allowed?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StewySmoot on 2001-08-21 13:58 ]</font>