Micing Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Hi, all.

Hey, I know this has been discussed before. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention.

I'm looking for a way to mic my whistles for when my band plays amplified shows. I usually use just a vocal mic, which works fine, except that I like to be able to move when I play dance tunes!

I'm thinking about a clip on mic, which would solve the first problem. However, a clip on raises another problem: I like to be able to back away a bit on high notes, especially with the high G. I'm wondering if the high end could be turned down on a sound board to solve this problem--I don't know. But I don't want to break eardrums and/or windshields if I can help it.

If it matters, my band also uses guitar, mando, upright bass, and harmonica. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tom
Mick Woodruff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Ha! I thought maybe you wanted a whistle for attracting rodents! :grin:
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Hey Colin,

You out there? I know you just saw Afro Celt Soundsystem and met with James McNally, so this thread reminded me that I've been meaning to ask if you know what type of headset mic McNally is using live. His set-up seems to work and I know he moves around quite a bit on stage. Perhaps the answer to this question will help Tom, as well as satisfy my curiosity.

Tom, How much are you willing to spend? Cost could be a factor on the choices available to you...

Loren
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

You are right, Loren, I saw the Afro Celts last night and it was a really good show as always. James uses a Sony 800 radio microphone head set (this is from their website as I had forgotten what brand it was). They also use in ear monitoring system. I know the whole package was outside my price range. The benefit of a headset, Tom, apart from being able to move around the stage is when you want to go up to the high notes you can always turn the head of the whistle away from the mic. I did try myself a couple of times having a microphone clipped to the whistle but as you say you cannot back off at the high end. You can always try and find a good music shop that sells these and bring the whistle along and check them out. Good luck in your hunt and if you find a good system, please let us know.
Colin
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Tom, there's a big price difference between wireless and wired headset mikes. Here's a link to a post I made on the old board:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/archive/whist ... 83645.html

PS In answer to Loren's question below, just found the box: "ATM75 Battery/phantom powered headworn condenser microphone". I like the "headworn" bit.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: StevieJ on 2001-08-19 20:14 ]</font>
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Colin,

Thanks. I'll have to try to find a website with that Sony mic to see what it's all about. I checked the Afro Celt site after reading your post. I wonder if the Sony 800 info on the endorsement page refers to the vocal mikes. I imagine McNally's headset is a different model, but I bet it utilizes the 800 wireless transmitter and receiver mentioned.

Steve,

Have you got a model # for your audio technica referenced in the link? This might help Tom find one on the web if he wants to go mail order....

Loren
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Stevie--Thanks. I'm actually hoping for something in the $100 range, since this band thing isn't exactly a great money making scheme for me--we do get paid, but it's mostly for fun. I never thought of a headset mic...I look enough like a space cadet as it is...but it sounds like it might work--certainly worth looking into.

Oh, and amplified high G just MIGHT be enough to kill small rodents...I'll keep you posted.

(:

Tom
Grannymouse

Post by Grannymouse »

I was with Mick.
and, Tom.....I wasn't hurt til your parting shot. ~ "> Gm
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Hey Tom!

I heard of a series of ultra small lavalier mics you can attach to a whistle just below the window. They are SUPER small, like less than a half a CM by maybe a CM long. You can attach one to a wireless unit, and then into a compressor for the second octave.

I'd guess for the whole set up, you're probably looking in the $500 range, but if you're going to have it a while, you may be able to invest. also, look for stuff on ebay, and used music stores.

I think the brand was 'Audio Technica".

My best to ya man!

Bri~
WyoBadger

Post by WyoBadger »

OK, now I have some homework to do. Thanks for the suggestions, everybody. The vocal mic works until I can find/afford something better, but now I can start keeping my eyes open for a good deal somewhere.

Oh, and GM, I was just kidding about killing mice with my high G. (:

T
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Brian,

The Lavalier/compressor idea is one I hadn't thought of before. Might be a cost effectve solution for someone who already has access to compression of some sort.

The down side might be that the compression would probably work okay for the uptempo stuff, but I'm guessing it would really muck things up for the slower stufr: Kiss your fades and other dynamics goodbye.....

Loren
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

I'd be tempted to stick with your vocal mic and jump around with whatever other inst.you play.Perhaps your budget would allow a mic. pre-amp for that extra tone flexability and if you are using an sm58 an upgrade to a beta 58 would sweeten your sound even more as it allows you to work the mic a little more. Mike :smile: