Low D Maximum hole size

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dan Mozell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low D Maximum hole size

Post by Dan Mozell »

What would whistle makers out there say the maximum hole size should be for hole #2 (from bottom) on a Low D whistle for a person of average finger thickness. Thanks
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Post by Feadoggie »

Dan Mozell wrote:What would whistle makers out there say the maximum hole size should be for hole #2 (from bottom) on a Low D whistle for a person of average finger thickness. Thanks
Sounds like a simple enough question, doesn't it? Have you played a Susato low D? I have tried to relate the finger hole sizes to the bore diameter. I use a RH2 hole size between 60 - 70% of the bore diameter depending on the whistle model. In a low D with a big bore, this can result in really big holes which are hard to cover. I like big holes but I have smallish hands. So if you end up with a whistle that's a bear to play start whittling the size of the hole dowm to something managable without ruining the strength of the note or making the reach difficult. That's my "simple" answer. You'll find a happy medium quickly. Make two piece whistles so you can re-use the head as you experiment with hole size and placement.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Dan Mozell

Post by Dan Mozell »

Feadoggie wrote: Sounds like a simple enough question, doesn't it? Have you played a Susato low D? I have tried to relate the finger hole sizes to the bore diameter. I use a RH2 hole size between 60 - 70% of the bore diameter depending on the whistle model. In a low D with a big bore, this can result in really big holes which are hard to cover. I like big holes but I have smallish hands. So if you end up with a whistle that's a bear to play start whittling the size of the hole dowm to something managable without ruining the strength of the note or making the reach difficult. That's my "simple" answer. You'll find a happy medium quickly. Make two piece whistles so you can re-use the head as you experiment with hole size and placement. Feadoggie
Before making a low D last weekend, I had never played one. As a beginner on this beast, I really don't know what it should feel like. That hole is currently 13mm and still flat.
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

You have two ways to make a note sharper -

1) make the hole larger
2) move the hole toward the mouthpiece

Of course you can do 1) without making a new whistle, but 2) usually means starting again. As Feadoggie said, cut the head off your whistle and make a new bottom section so you can move the holes without all that fipple carving etc. Actually, since you are just coming to grips with where the holes go, you can tape over the holes and drill new ones on the back and then on each side until you are pretty happy with the size and location. Then make a new body and tape the two together. The extra holes will increase the internal volume of the bore, so when you are pretty close, go for a new body.

It's quite a juggling act - I want the hole smaller, so I'll move it up. Dang! now I can't reach the bottom hole with R3. So I can make it smaller as well and bring it closer up. Dang! now the E isn't loud enough. :swear:

It's all about trade-offs. It's part of the fun.

Cheers,

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Dan Mozell

Post by Dan Mozell »

Carey wrote:...As Feadoggie said, cut the head off your whistle and make a new bottom section so you can move the holes without all that fipple carving etc....
Thanks for the ideas. But I'm still curious what folks think the maximum reasonable hole size is.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

If my finger falls through, it's too big.

I once had a Low D laughing whistle in aluminum. (It was a great whistle, a huge honking thing, and it's a shame that I had to sell it for finances.) I remember it having MASSIVE holes, particularly the lowest one. I was forced to use piper's grip, not because of problems with reach (though as I recall I did have problems with reach for the first few weeks) but because if I tried to cover the bottom hole with the end of my pinky, I'd go straight through it instead.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I'm still curious what folks think the maximum reasonable hole size is.
What is the length of a piece of string?

It all depends...

Dan, check your PM's

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Max size is 1/2 of bore diameter at the site of the hole. If it is any larger, it will affect the holes above and below it by robbing them of acoustic energy. If you are willing to sacrifice performance, you can go as far as 5/8ths of bore diameter.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com