Chromatic High Whistle - Market for such a thing?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

I was curious about whether there would be a market for a chromatic high-D whistle - a piccolo whistle in other words.

And no, I have not built any. I wonder if it would be worth the time designing one.

I have ideas of how one could be built with about 4 keys. If such a thing existed what features should it have.
I've already thought about extra keys on the bottom (like a flute) to allow it to play C/C# but keyed in D.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

I think you could play some lovely Telemann on a whistle like that. :roll: :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bloomfield on 2002-08-20 23:22 ]</font>
scissors
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scissors »

I think I would try some Dave Tarras or Naftule Brandtwine '20s klezmer on such a little beast. I'm thinking anyway about the "pocket" clarinet/sax at Lark in the Morning for such a purpose, anyway. I'd like to see a chromatic whistle attempted.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

I know that this may sound silly, but I can't see why you just couldn't make a whistle headjoint for a concert flute or piccolo. For the most part a flute can be fingered just as easily verticaly as horizontaly.

Maybe instead of making chromatic whistles maybe just whistle headjoints? Just a thought.

Eric

PS
I just tried this with a Yamaha flute and the head of my Burke AlPro low G. It worked extremely well!! I was able to get three octaves. The Burke head was about three inches too short so it was way out of tune. I'd upload an MP3 to clips-n-snips....but I don't know how to play the flute :sad:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vaporlock on 2002-08-21 00:40 ]</font>
Goldie

Post by Goldie »

Funny this should come up as I have just made two 10-holed high Ds which can play the notes D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, B, C, C#. It is not fully chromatic but the Bb can be cross fingered. The reason why I made the C hole rather than the Bb hole was because that is what the player asked for. I imagine you would have to get used to the fingering. I did see a Russian band in Cologne a couple of years ago playing a whistle similar to this. Here is a picture, not that great quality but gives an idea
http://www.overton.de/GRAFIK/SOP-10.JPG
Thought I mention it :smile:
Colin

edited for typo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Goldie on 2002-08-21 07:28 ]</font>
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Sounds like an interesting idea Dan. People who play only trad might not be interested, but those of us who like to experiment with other types of music should find such an instrument useful. I must point out though, that there already IS a fully chromatic instrument in the same range as a D whistle, readily available for very little money-- a soprano recorder. Flame away.....
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
scissors

Post by scissors »

How about just a regular style whistle but bored for different scales, like the klezmer I mentioned earlier, or melodic minor, or some of the middle eastern or Indian scales?
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

I can't believe that nobody has mentioned the Ralph Sweet Blackwood with 3 keys. C natural and B flat are crossfingered. There is a link with pictures from the expensive whistle page.

Also, Pat O'Riordan's wood whistles come with a sheet that shows cross fingerings for full chromatism. Pat says the aluminum whistles do not work like that. The walls are pretty thick on Pat's work (compared to weasels, at least) so that may be something. I couldn't get the D# to work and then promptly lost the info sheet.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You can occasionally find 6-key flageolets on auction sites. They seem to go for fairly respectable sums so I am assuming someone out there values a chromatic whistle!

Is there a market? I'd say yes--I'd likely buy one at some point. I have been wanting one of the Sweet keyed whistles for a long time, but since my wife is buying me a Hammilton keyed flute, this isn't a good time to beg^h^h^h ask for expensive whistles. :smile:

Is there a large market might be a better question, and I'm not qualified to even hazard a guess on that one.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
ysgwd

Post by ysgwd »

On 2002-08-21 08:19, scissors wrote:
How about just a regular style whistle but bored for different scales, like the klezmer I mentioned earlier, or melodic minor, or some of the middle eastern or Indian scales?
I've seen the harmonic (for Klezmer, etc.) scaled whistles and others available on the Jubilee site.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... -metal.htm

And I believe that the seven holed Silkstone will produce the Lydian mode from the bell note like seven holed bansuri from India do. Please correct me if I'm wrong. (or should I have typed PCMIIW?)

Lisa

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ysgwd on 2002-08-21 10:54 ]</font>
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

And the reverse of the piccolo comment -- one of my mechanically-minded friends thinks it would be easy to build new bodies for the O'Riordan whistles. Seems like that would be a great way to experiment with different whistle styles.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: colomon on 2002-08-21 13:08 ]</font>
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2002-08-21 09:41, peeplj wrote:
You can occasionally find 6-key flageolets on auction sites. They seem to go for fairly respectable sums so I am assuming someone out there values a chromatic whistle!
I have a ~100 year old flageolet, and it has a sharping lever. This thing works by partially covering the window with a cork. It sharps any note by a halftone. Too bad it's hopelessly out of tune with itself.

Charlie
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Just when I begin to think that someday I might be able to proficiently handle six holes, you characters want to add levers or up to four more holes.

I think I'll just go curl up into a fetal ball and withdraw for a while.
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

I would be really, really interested in a chromatic whistle. And I'm struggling with why that isn't just a recorder (I have a little F sopranino that is really fun to play). But if something cheap comes up I'll be there. I'm playing on a cheap bamboo flute at the moment and that cross-fingers well (unlike my cheap whistles, which need half-holing).

Fatveg
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

On 2002-08-21 07:26, Goldie wrote:
Funny this should come up as I have just made two 10-holed high Ds which can play the notes D, Eb, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, B, C, C#..... Here is a picture, not that great quality but gives an idea

http://www.overton.de/GRAFIK/SOP-10.JPG

Thought I mention it :smile:

Colin

Damn Colin, that's Cool!!!

Well folks, that whistle certainly won't sound like a recorder!

Loren