Weird world of the theremin...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
richardmoran
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by richardmoran »

<a href="http://theremin.org.uk/">Neat theremin site!!!</a>

Did you know the bloke that invented it was a soviet spy? Has anyone seen this? U know that you can actually buy them?!

I put in an order for one, and ordered a CD. The music on the website is cool. It's schpooky!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: richardmoran on 2001-08-16 20:04 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: richardmoran on 2001-08-16 20:06 ]</font>
Feadan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Feadan »

Way cool!!! Thanks for the heads up. :smile:
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Hmmm...tempting, but I don't think I want to drop $300 on one without trying it first. Let us know what you think of it when you get yours.

:smile:
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

I tried it once and it's not easy to play. Just moving your finger (fingernail?) 1 mm nearer or further from the (vertical) antenna changes the pitch a whole lot. Your other hand changes volume by moving further or nearer the horizontal coil thingy on the other side of the box. So you have to stand really still and have great control over your arm muscles.

And that wooo-eeee sound....like trying to tune a shortwave radio.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

OK, this is a bit off topic (but wait, isn't this a WHISTLE board?! Here we go again?). Has anyone heard/seen the music from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou"? On the song "Didn't Leave Nobody but the Baby", sort of a spooky song, there's a theramin type sound in the background. Really, really trippy sounding. They wanted that sound, but a theramin was too technological for that sort of music, so what you're actually hearing is a "musical saw!" So the theramin sound, if not the instrument itself, has been around a long, long time. Interesting.

There is nothing new under the sun...

Tom

p.s. I'm pretty sure a saw is cheaper than a theramin, too. So how about it, Dale--a saw forum?
Do you play the saw?
I play the saw.
Have you tried Bob's saw?
I want one of Fred's saws.
Fred is making me wait for my saw...