Just bought my first Low D whistle how do u play it?????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by andy »

Hi all, just bought a Howard low D today, and have been fiddling around with it, at present having some problems with it. I have a few questions that I would dearly love answered , if thats OK.

1) Where do u place your fingers, as in how much of your finger should cover the hole???

2) Vibrato, Im using my diaphram to get it at the moment, but I saw Spillane from Riverdance, and he basicaly lifts the finger below the note he is playing to get the same effect. Or is he???? Do i lift my finger around the edge of the hole, or straight over it??? IM very confused!

3) What are some good CDS/Videos that feature both traditional and low D whistles??

Thanks u for any replies, from one confused whistler!
Regards Andy
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Hey Andy,

I'll be glad to try to help a little. You will probably want to use the piper's grip: cover the holes with the area of your fingers one joint down from your fingertip. It will feel wierd, but you can get used to it. Low Ds are a s-t-r-e-t-c-h so spend some time just getting the feel of how far you need to space your fingers to cover the holes. Try planting your right pinky on the whistle, it will help with keeping your right-hand fingers in position after picking them up. Start out just trying for clean notes with a good finger seal on the holes. Try starting with the G and work slowly down to the bell note D. Just take your time and keep at it.

It's a Trad. technique to use a finger virbrato: thats rapidly tapping the second hole below the note you are playing (ie: when playing G, tap the E hole) You can experiment with speed and how much of the hole you cover to get the virbrato you want. Joannie Madden makes her entire whistle shake when she does finger virbratos.

Most of all just stick with it! It will feel real wierd to start with but you will adjust to it with practice.

Take Care,

Vinny
StevePower

Post by StevePower »

Some recommend using the second pad of the first two fingers on each hand, together with the first pad of the third finger, to cover the holes.

David Leadsam and Steafan Hannigan have produced an excellent tutor 'The Low Whistle Book', that has a CD to accompany it. I'm using it to teach myself -slowly!

Steve
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Andy.Your first Q.indicates you are most likely new to whistling and commend your bravery at undertaking such a chalenge as many others,myself included, took the plunge on a generation D before moving on to the big guys.A few weeks playing a soprano susato D using the piper grip would have you in good shape to play the Howard,which, by the way is an outstanding whistle.Regards,Mike :)
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

At this time, I own a Susato Low D . . . an annoying, pesty whistle, but through trial and error I'm finding I can play it better.
My hands are rather small. So I sympathise with anyone's struggles to play a large whistle.
I spent *a lot* of time looking at myself playing in the bedroom mirror. For a few months, I kept the whistle on a nearby shelf. Every time I went into the room, I saw the whislte, grabbed it and practiced scales. D to D, then G to G. Tried it standing up, tried it sitting down(which can be better, as you can balance part of the whistle on your leg and grip the whistle more comfortably.)
A piper's grip is not terribly hard to learn, but getting a good seal on the holes takes some time. The whistle seems to play best when the holes are lightly, but completly, covered. That helps you learn to transistion more quickly between notes. Don't press too tightly!
I'm still fustrated with Low D and High D. These seem to be the two hardest notes to sound without squeaks and undertones. But the problem seems to be the position of the holes on the Susato.
The G hole and D hole won't cover with the joint of the finger. I cover these holes with the pad of my ring finger.
After scales are easy and smooth, you can spend time learning some songs. The Whistle Shop does have a book/CD set for the Low whistle. However, I haven't seen it, so I couldn't recommend it.
I've heard good things about Howard Low D's, so if you keep practising, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
andy

Post by andy »

Thank you to everybody who answered my distress call. Since beginning this forum yesterday, I now have had the chance to have some quality practice time with my Howard. I am finding that if I cover the holes with the skin directly opposite the first knuckle (basically where your first crease/fold on your finger is), I get reasonable results.

Also, regarding the vibrato, I am fiddling around using the finger vibrato, however Im omly covering a slight proportion of the hole below the note I am playing. Vinny called this technique the "trad technique", should I continue with this technique, or continue with the vibrato from the diaphram. Does it make any difference sound wise, or combine both still???? Im getting quite consistant with the diaphram vibrato that I use on my usual Feadog Soprano D whistle. I guess Im hoping to continue with the one technique rather than the two,I guess as soon as u pick up a low D whistle, you are already changing your technique.

Hope to hear anybodys thoughts about this.
Regards Andy
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I am by no means an expert nor do I play one on tv, but the thing I like about the finger vibrato is you can easily move into a slide from it which sounds very nice on slow aires