Easier to Play Low Ds?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
crickett
antispam: No

Easier to Play Low Ds?

Post by crickett »

I am wondering whether there are some low D's that are easier to play/learn on than others.

I have been playing high D for a couple of years and have been trying to learn to play the low D. I currently own a Howard and given the size of my hands have no real problem with reach by employing a piper's-type grip. I also don't have problems with breath requirements. But I am still having problems moving from note to note, especially jumping down to a D from higher notes.

Since there is no place to try different whistles where I live, I would appreciate any thoughts you might have about your experiences learning to play low whistles, tips about how to deal with problems, and suggestions about whistles that are harder or easier to play.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments!

p.s. I am open to the idea that I might simply suck and need to practice more on the whistle I have, so don't hesitate to let me know if that's what you think.
john_t

Post by john_t »

I am learning on a Dixon one piece Polymer Low D.

I am very happy with it, only it breaks into the second octave almost too easily.

An affordable whistle with a great tone.
Tommy

PRACTICE

Post by Tommy »

crickett wrote:
I currently own a Howard and given the size of my hands have no real problem with reach by employing a piper's-type grip. I also don't have problems with breath requirements. suggestions about whistles that are harder or easier to play.

Thanks for any suggestions or comments!
My first low whistle was a Howard D, a very fine whistle. Bought it from a member here that must have quit trying to soon. Never saw him again after I bought his whistle.
I went through the same thing you are now. Could not play the notes going down. Then I stopped worrying about how long it was going to take and went the rote method of playing each note that was not right over and over. Play that second d and go down to the bell note d. When your muscle memory of breath control starts working it will become hard to play it wrong again. Yes it was miserable practicing but worth it as I now play any low whistle I pick up all the way down to an Overton bass A. I am not of the thinking that one whistle plays more easy than another evan if it flips up to fast, just differant. This takes practice but when your breath control memory starts working good all the hours of practice disappear.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

Hi Crickett,

If I understand you correctly, when you are in the second octave and try to play the low D, the bell note, it flips back up to the second octave and hit the 2nd octave D.

If I got that right, it sounds like your whistle has very little back pressure and it does't take much puff to jump to the second octave. I have a Copeland low D that does the same thing as it has almost zero back pressure.

On the otherhand, I have an Overton low D that has plenty of back pressure and I can really wail on the low D and gets very dynamic control over two plus octaves.

Other models that I know of that have significant back pressure are the Chieftain V3 and the Alba Vibe low D. Good luck, Cyril.
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

Easier to play low Ds?

I've played Overton, Burke, Reyburn, MK, Copeland, Susato, Kerry Pro, Chieftain OS, Howard, Silkstone, Sweet, and maybe some more I can't remember.

Your mileage may vary...but for me, with medium handsize...the "easiest" whistles to play have been Burke Composite and Viper, and MK.

Good Luck.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
breqwas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by breqwas »

I am very happy with it, only it breaks into the second octave almost too easily.
I also own that one-piece DX003 Dixon. Yes, that's the only big problem with it. It's really hard to get the D note without falling into D', especially when you are gowing down from some high note.

And I can't say I like its tone too much. It sounds like plastic in the second octave, and does not have that distinctive ethereal sound that most low whistles have.

Still, it is a good whistle for its price.
crickett

Thanks

Post by crickett »

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I think Tommy probably nails it: I just need more time in the woodshed.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

It sounds to me like there could be air leaking out of the holes. This is a common problem on low Whistles. I find that with piper's grip it is sometimes hard to feel where the hole is thus the seal isn't as tight as it should be. Make sure the holes are covered and do like Tommy says and it should become more natural.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

One of the biggest revelations for me was discovering that gripping too tight causes more air leaks than gripping lightly.

I had similar problems with my Howard at first - was at the point of being ready to give up on low whistles. But I did pretty much the same thing Tommy mentioned - long tones and scales - while concentrating on relaxing my grip.

Worked a charm. These days I have other bugaboos to deal with - timing, phrasing, and clean technique - but basic whistling seems ridiculously easy.

Give it time. Keep your eye on the goal, but try to enjoy the journey to get there, too.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

If someone's problem is finger stretch, and there are some people out there who even with the Piper's Grip have trouble reaching the holes, you can try the Susato low D with keys. If your problem is arm stretch, the big Susatos are available with bent necks.
I find that my bent-neck Susato, though keyless, is the most ergonomic low D whistle to play.
Since Susato has developed the bent neck, and keys, there's virtually no limit to how big a whistle can be made, and I'm anxiously awaiting for Susato to come out with a bass A and/or a bass G. If the keys are done like those on a Baroque bass flute, where the middle finger of each hand has an open hole and the index and ring fingers of each hand have keys (for a total of four keys), a bass A or G, or even a contrabass D, would have a quite comfortable finger stretch.
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

I agree, when I got my first low whistle (Dixon Low D) I could never drop down into the low D note. It just takes time and lots of practice. Mind you the whistles will almost always make that awkward squeak from time to time. :D