Suggestions on what tunes you would play together with these

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

I learning several new jigs and was wondering what other tunes would go with them into a set ... any suggestions?

The tunes are:
The Pipe on the Hob
Out on the Ocean
Munster Buttermilk
The Butcher's March

MarkB

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MarkB on 2002-07-27 11:06 ]</font>
LKtz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by LKtz »

My band normally plays Out on the Ocean, Morrison's Jig and Kesh Jig together. Works nicely.

Caryn
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-07-27 11:05, MarkB wrote:
The tunes are:
The Pipe on the Hob
Out on the Ocean
Munster Buttermilk
The Butcher's March

MarkB

Assuming the Bothy Band's Pipe on the hob [there is another tune named POTH, Down the Back Lane

You could follow pretty standard sets; Carraroe/Out on the Ocean
Munster Buttermilk/Connaughtman's Rambles
Butcher's March/ Clare jig

It's a good idea though to think up your own sets.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I like to play the Butcher's and then Boys of the Town back to back.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Mark, which Pipe on the Hob and which Munster Buttermilk? There are at least two common tunes attached to each of those names.

_Molloy/Brady/Peoples_ has the three-part Munster Buttermilk followed by Connachtman's Rambles (which I think is what Peter was suggesting), that's a nice set.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Some suggestions:

The Eavesdropper
The Southwest Wind
The Hag's Purse
Pay the Reckoning
The Bank of Lough Gowna
Tom Busby's
Fraher's
The Humors of Kesh (NOT the Kesh Jig)
The Black Rogue
Paidin O Rafferty
carrie

Post by carrie »

My whistle teacher and I play Cliffs of Moher into Pipe on the Hob and then end with Dusty Windowsills. Nice A minor tunes framing the D mixolydian.

Carol
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Colomon it is the three piece Munster Buttermilk that I'm learning. And Connaughtman's rambles does seem to fit quite nicely -- Thanks.

As to which POTH I haven't a clue. I'm learning the one from L.E.McCllough's book which gives the key A modal.

Peter your right about putting your own tunes together, but I was wondering what would be a session set or not. I don't mind learning individual tunes (like we all do) but playing just one jig at a time seems bit out there. Unless if you are giving a special arrangement.

Thanks to all

MarkB
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I said that because I think it is quite refreshing if you think up your own sets, the ones I gave above are fairly standard, you can dream those changes [allthough I stopped short of linking the Pipe on the Hob wit hthe Hag on the churn, I went, piper as I am, for a Seamus Ennis set]. It is very unsurprising though and as I said, it is very refreshing if something unexpected comes up.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Peter, I have been playing everyone eles's tunes for the last few years and have decided to move on and find the tunes I like or want to play. In the other words the sessions that I play in are getting stale and boring.

So I guess that I have my work cut out for me trying different tunes to see what I like to put with each tune. Interesting. And I am enjoying it!

MarkB
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Mark, then that's the 3-part Pipe on the Hob in A minor/modal. (Did you get Munster Buttermilk from LE too? Looking for PotH I just now noticed he had the 3-part MB in there. I'd forgotten that.)

I believe you'll find Carol is talking about the other Pipe on the Hob (2-part, D minor/modal).
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Just to stir the pot:
In the very asking of the thread question, I think there is a real divide here between those who read music and those who learn tunes by ear.

Because I have a lot of printed tunes, its possible to find pleasing new combos that have nothing to do with previous medleys by famous players. Also, my perceptions of tunes are self-generated if I have never heard them on a cd (or live) somewhere which opens up the idea of linking them with other tunes. Once I have heard a famous rendition of a tune, it can limit the perceptions of it.

Yet the more I listen, the more I realize how un-standard even the most famous tunes are so there is another dimension revealing itself by exposure (and another reason to recommend lots of listening).

As an example, The Old Bush is the most played tune in my modest cd collection and the settings really vary. I was really surprised at the most recent version i acquired, on a strange record called Na Connerys, because they play the C natural in the opening bar as a C sharp but then play the C nat on the second half as a nat. Weird. Anybody know the scoop on Na Connerys??

I really enjoy stringing together tunes and agree with Peter wholeheartedly. But the thread question frequently occurs over at IRTRAD as well so I might be in the minority for wondering why the question is asked at all.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Yes, the Pipe on the Hob I know and play is in D mixolydian and has 2 parts.

By the way, it's also fun to move from a jig to a reel, keeping the beat steady. It obviously really picks up steam, though, because suddenly you go from three notes to a beat to 4. It's a lot of fun.

Carol
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Colomon yes I did get POTH from L.E's book.

Weekenders -- I learn most of my tunes by ear but have taught myself to read music reasonably well. But to actually hear the tune when I am browsing through a tune book I'm not anywhere near that level.

The reason I asked the question was in someways to get a fresh perspective on something that I love which was starting to bore me. The same old tunes over and over again. It was on one of the Cherish the ladies album, were they put The Star above the Garter with the Battle of Aughrim together, and also something that Altan has done that lead me to thinking of breaking out of the box I'm in.

But as yet those that I play with still put jig with jig, reel with reel, etc. etc.

MarkB
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-07-29 16:30, The Weekenders wrote:
as a nat. Weird. Anybody know the scoop on Na Connerys??
As far as I know they are Sean Og Potts Paul McGrattan and Kevin Glackin