2nd Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

2nd Whistle?

Burke DBSBT
57%
Low Whistle
35%
another key maybe?
9%

Total votes: 23

Anglorfin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

2nd Whistle

Post by Anglorfin »

So after having broken my original Feadog :cry: :cry: and upon recieving my first summer paycheck I thought it would be a good time to finally start playing again. I started by ordering a few cheapies from ebay just so I can have extras incase something breaks again. But for my serious second whistle I can't decide between a better quality high D or trying out a low whistle.

I was thinking about getting a Burke high D because from what I've heard of Burkes I'd probably be very pleased with it.

But I also want to try taking a stab at a low whistle. I love the mellow sound. Does anyone have opinions on what low whistle to get? Or is anyone looking to unload a used one?
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

I already have several whistles....so I would be choosing a 22nd or something. But, I'll probably be looking for a good low G or one in an obscure key next.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

i think that you should get another D whistle, since that is the main key in ITM. you should get pretty used to that key, then move on to low whistles and different keys.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

overton, V3, songbird, John swayne-these are very clear and smooth as far as low D.s go----------there are many and your taste is involved not mine---go to the Kerry site and listen to reviews on lows :D
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

The Whistle Collector wrote:i think that you should get another D whistle, since that is the main key in ITM. you should get pretty used to that key, then move on to low whistles and different keys.
yup
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Here's my opinion for what its worth:

If you are looking for a new challenge, a very different sound, and a familliar key, I'd go for a low D. These are so much fun IMHO, and really add a nice depth to a performance. However, I usually play/record solo, so I'm not matching other instruments too often. It really sounds sweet on airs, and the flute-y-ness is often enjoyed by audiences. (I voted Low Whistle)

If you are looking for something familliar and want to expand your collection, go for a different key. Very useful in the non ITM world, I play with a few bands now and then, and that E or C or Bb comes in really handy now and then. (maybe consider a keyed whistle... :) :) )

If you are content in the key of D and are not really wanting to take on a new instrument (in the respect that a low whistle does present a learning curve over high D) then get another D. I've been trying to get my paws on a Burke Brass D, and have a Pink Ivory D on order (to be arriving soon!). Its interesting how differently different whistles play, and dependign on how you play, you may find one that compliments your style even more.

More than $0.02 worth, oh well. No refunds :wink:
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Assuming that you replace your Feadóg with another Feadóg, the Burke is a nice choice of additional D whistle. Just be aware that the two are very different beasts. Where the Feadóg is bright and chiffy, with a complex traditional tone, and a bit tempermental to play, the Burke is warmer with much less chiff, a full but purer tone, and very silky to play.

I find the two whistles very complementary, especially if you're not completely wedded to the trad end of the spectrum. And lately I've been carrying both to sessions, to enjoy the choice of what each one offers.

Of course, both the Feadóg and Burke are perfectly serious whistles in the right hands -- hopefully yours. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Burke- my favorite whistle. :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

I'd say wait until your strong on the high D before going low D.

My favorite whistle is a Gary Humphrey whistle.

-Casey
Life is good.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I suugest a low D. Alba has a new tunable out called the Vibe that is reasonably priced; last I checked it was £90. I agree with Cavefish on the other alternatives: Overton, and Chieftain V3.

My favourite low D whistle is the Copeland. My favourite low D is my Casey Burns Firth and Pond keyless Irish Flute in balckwood and sterling silver. Now I undestand what the fuss is about.

If you would like a good deal on a fine Copeland; let me know.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

but, you should always practice with the cheapies, and perfect the song with those. then when you play on a great whistle like Burke, you would sound even better.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Anglorfin

Post by Anglorfin »

Cool thanks for the input sofar. I just got a batch of cheapies in the mail yesterday. Picked up an Acorn at a local music store. Got two Feadogs and a Clarke in the mail. I must say I find the Clarke quite a challenge after learning for so long on a Feadog. Way more air is required though it does have a mellower sound. Still don't know which one I like better, probably the Feadog. It seems to have more character, or zip or zing or flash. . or whatever.

Now that I got a bunch of different High D I'm still leaning towards buying a Burke. If my Clarke is any indication I definitely don't have the lung power for a low whistle yet.

Time to learn some new tunes again :D :D :D
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

well Clarke sure is a great whistle for working up your lungs.
AlonE

Post by AlonE »

buy to MellowDog, I think that an High-end must be considered whistle by its great quality.
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

i dont see what the big deal is , with Clarkes -i keep hearing they have no backpressure and high air requirements----they seem the same as , my overton , sweetheart pro, and copeland, i have also tried feadogs, burkes, waltons------my first whistles were Clarkes and i have stuck with them since-----maybe i am just used to high air-------------i have noticed i tend to breath alot more than i see others but , --------its probably because i dont do sessions---if i did i might say differently --------------------which ones have good backpressure and low air requirements