Burke Low D Viper vs. Overton Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jaredhoyt
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burke Low D Viper vs. Overton Low D

Post by jaredhoyt »

I live in Fayetteville, AR and haven't found anything close to me so far. But I will be in Branson this weekend and was wondering if anyone knew of any shops nearby. I'm looking to buy some new low whistles soon and it'd be nice to be able to hear some before buying on the internet!

Also, me and my wife will be moving to Kansas City soon... anyone know of any shops there?

EDIT My question kinda changed so I'll change the topic title. My new question is on the third post.
Last edited by jaredhoyt on Fri May 25, 2007 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Probably not. There is a music store in Eureka Springs,
but I don't think they have whistles.

PM Sillydill and ask about Kansas City.
Also Jayhawk.
Music Folk has stuff in St. Louis, but
you might call first and see if they've
anything.

We can tell you what's good to buy.
jaredhoyt

Post by jaredhoyt »

jim stone wrote:We can tell you what's good to buy.
Well right now I'm torn between a Burke Viper Low D and an Overton Low D. The sound clip on burkewhistles.com for the Viper sounds amazing, but the one on whistlethis.com is so-so. I'm wanting something that sounds very warm and can hit the upper octave well and is very "breathy" I guess you could say. I mainly play backup to slower songs on piano right now.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm not aware of any shops selling Irish whistles/flutes (except D whistles) in KC, Branson or Springfield. We do have a nice folk music shop (Mountain Music), but it specializes in stringed instruments...it's where I found my tenor banjo. They tend to have a few higher pitched whistles, but I've not seen a low whistle there (but it's been a while since I visited).

There is a shop in KC in Westport (Sheehan's Irish Imports) which has stocked a low D made by some local person from time to time, but other than that the internet and C&F have been my methods of finding instruments.

We do have an active session scene in KC (3 sessions per month), sometimes more if something pops up, and a few more sessions if you want to drive about 50 minutes. However, I've never seen a low whistle amongst the session regulars. We do have a Chiffer who drops in from time to time (Hi John) who plays low whistles.

Eric
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

jaredhoyt wrote:
jim stone wrote:We can tell you what's good to buy.
Well right now I'm torn between a Burke Viper Low D and an Overton Low D. The sound clip on burkewhistles.com for the Viper sounds amazing, but the one on whistlethis.com is so-so. I'm wanting something that sounds very warm and can hit the upper octave well and is very "breathy" I guess you could say. I mainly play backup to slower songs on piano right now.
Others may chime in. I don't know the burke viper personally,
though I like mike's whistles. HOwever I do know the overton low D
and it's hard to believe you would go wrong with it.
It sounds warm, it hits the upper octave well (warm it up).
As to breathy, not really; it's the 'cosmic drainpipe' sound.
But it will work behind a piano and it's a standard great
low D.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I have an Overton. It's warm, a little reedy, mysterious, cosmic; all those things. Warm it up and it will sing. Mike Burke makes excellent whistles, and is known more for a pure tone.

The Overton is one heck of a low whistle; hard to beat.
sponge
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

Post by sponge »

The viper clip on the burke site has some serious reverb added so really isnt very accurate, if you go to youtube.com and type in burke low d it will bring up a clip of someone playing a viper with only a small amount of reverb added.

sponge :)
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

jaredhoyt wrote: Well right now I'm torn between a Burke Viper Low D and an Overton Low D. The sound clip on burkewhistles.com for the Viper sounds amazing...
Last time I listened to the clip for the Low D on the Burke site it had a lot of reverb added post recording. It's not the stand-alone sound of a Burke. The Burke is a very nice Low D (I sold it some time ago). Like any Burke I tried, the DLAPV is a solid performer and easy player. To my ear it has a brassy voice (like a horn) instead of a haunting voice. But that's nothing a mic and a bit of reverb can't change.

The Burke is an easy player (for a Low D) and solid performer.

Currently I have a Bernard Overton Low D. It has an incomparable voice (commonly called "the cosmic drainpipe") and amazing power . It's the old longer tone-hole finger spacing which is hard for me with small hands (I'm thinking of selling it). I understand the new design Overton Low D is much more ergonomic.

I also have a Reyburn Low D. Another whistle with an incomparable voice - haunting like the reverb is built in. I had the bottom hole offset so it is easier for me to play than the Overton I currently have.

So your final choice will probably come down to; what kind of tone you want, what kind of budget you have, and your willingness to practice and learn a pipers grip.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
arnie

Post by arnie »

I can only say something about the Overton. I have one of Bernard, a bit improved after years of use, by Colin Goldie. It's warm, haunting, beautiful sounding, a mythical instrument because Bernard Overton made the first low-whistles ever, also played then by Finbar Furey. I will never sell it, never!
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

I have an overton low d -it is perfect take the mic great and reverbs and echo. s like a champ---fades air flow nice without early drop-offs------i can hit clear third octave D,s and i believe its an Eb-----XXOXXO-----DAVY SPILLANNE uses these ones---if i were to get another low D i would like to try the kerry songbird -its sounds smooth and warm on the kerry site-------------
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Overton :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
River Otter

Post by River Otter »

I gotta put a word in for the Viper. I think it's a really great whistle. I'll give up my Viper when they pry it from my cold dead hands. But if you do pry one from someone's cold dead hands I would suggest washing it out before putting it in your mouth, because that's nasty. People have commented to me when I play it that it sounds rather flute-like for a low whistle. I find that it lends itself well to tone coloring by varying the air stream and oral cavity. Adaptive and responsive.
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The answer is staring you in the face - you need one of each! :D

My first choice is Overton but I'm very glad to also have the Burke Viper. It is a wonderful whistle and very easy to play.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I have Overton Low D from Colin Goldie. It is the perfect instrument, a sound which you will not find more anywhere. Exact build, fast and nimble, I play on it the same fast tunes, as on high whistles. On slow tunes, when I play accompanied by a guitar or bouzoki it forces the some people (girls) to hide eyes that it was not visible tears ;)
I tried different Low D, and all I love Overton more. It - a sound of a legend. If for me will be necessary money is I shall sell in last turn. No, I shall better sell own kidney, than this Whistle! :)))
Happy whistling!
jaredhoyt

Post by jaredhoyt »

hah, well it sounds overwhelmingly like Overton might be the way to go. I might get a Burke Viper in the future if I can manage to sell my Chieftain... I think I'm still going to order a Composite Low F from him.

About Overtons... 1. Is there a certain type of Overton Low D that is preferable (Bernard or Colin, etc) and 2. What's the best place to order them since I'm in the states?

Thanks for the input guys.