Sean O'Raida Mass

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dkehoe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dkehoe »

Does anyone know where I can get sheet music for Sean O'Raida's Mass. I want to try playing some some of it in church, but cannot find anything on the web (well, under Google, anyway). I'm particularily interested in "Ag Criost an Siol".
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Check your spelling and try the search engines again. The Gaelic spelling is Seán O Ríada, but it may also show up with an apostrophe as Sean O'Riada with or without the accent(s), or any approximation thereto.

I have just scanned Ag Criost an Siol, and if you send me an e-mail to Roger.O'Keeffe@cec.eu.int, I'd be happy to forward it to you. There have been several threads on that particular piece, both here (I think) and (certainly) in the Mudcat forum, and if you're interested in following these I suggest you try the search engines using the alternative spellings Ag Criost an Siol and Ag Críost an Síol (which you can cut and paste). If all else fails I can try and help to direct you there.

Roger
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

The O Riada Mass is available on tape from The Living Tradition shop in Cork city.
A Google search will find their website.
It's also in Powells of Galway.

As found on a Google search! Not sure about the sheetmusic though.

While searching for this I discovered that Paddy Fahey was taught to read sheetmusic at an early age.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
dkehoe

Post by dkehoe »

Thanks to you both. I've been down the Google road extensively, and tried Mudcat. No luck on sheet music.

In the time since I posted that message, I did find a MIDI of "Ag Criost an Siol". I then downloaded the shareware version of Noteworthy Composer, converted the MIDI to sheet music, changed the key, converted the organ part to piano, changed the clef on the top piano line - whew. One down, many more to go. This will get me through my performance at church on August 11th, but I sure would like to get the other pieces as well. Roger, I'll send you an email - it would be nice to compare.