asking opinion on electronic tuners and whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

asking opinion on electronic tuners and whistles

Post by azw »

I'm wondering whether I'm using a tuner for a ridiculous purpose. Is it reasonable to use a tuner to test the pitch of a whistle's notes?

I'll explain in detail....

A while back I bought one of Mack Hoover's C whistles (brass body with the white cap). I love it, but if I push the body all the way into the head, the whistle is about 20-30 cents flat across the entire range. I can get a consistent sound with a little breath control, although the Bb ( 0XX 000 ) is a little harder to control than the rest.

In your experience, does this 20 cent difference matter when playing with others? (I do find it a little distracting when I play.)

Also, because I liked the C whistle's quietness, beaut of tone, and ease of playing I got a Hoover in high D, too (aluminum body and white cap). I like it, but it's sharp in the first register and then tends toward flat in the second register. The hardest note is C natural in the first register, which I have to play 0XX XX0 to avoid a C#, but even then it's half way between C natural and C#. It's impossible to play a C natural with 0XX 000 and without noticing the off note. If pull the head off the body far enough to get the first register on pitch, the head is too loose to stay securely.

Is something wrong? Or does this seem normal, nothing to fuss over?
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Try playing with someone else. If it sounds OK, don't worry about the tuning!
If the whistle is flat across the board, you may be able to sharpen it by cutting a bit of the tubing off at the TOP. You may want to send it to Mack and let him do it.
BTW-- did you check the pitch when the whistle is warmed up? That can make quite a difference.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Check the area that you are using the tuner in. Is there any background sounds? TV, radio, cars or trucks driving by, ventilation blower. your tuner may not pick them up until you blow your whistle, but then the tuner will hear both, and not give a true reading.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
patrickh

Post by patrickh »

Does the tuner have a calibration adjustment and if so, is it set to 440?
azw

Post by azw »

Thanks to all for their ideas.

I tried the D again tonight. Even when I play by myself I find the 0XX 000 sound (which is almost the same as 000 000) really grating. Half holing works okay, but using that would mean relearning my repertoire.

I like Paul's idea of playing the C with my friends. I'll try that.

Returning it to Mack for a tweak may be the best solution if it clashes with the other instruments.

I do know that in the past I haven't enjoyed play a Sweetone that is 10-15 cents off from 440 (and the rest of the group). Although I don't have perfect pitch, even slight dissonance gives me the creepy crawlies. My Burke, on the other hand, is right on, so even though it's a tad loud, it blends in well.

Tommy, yes, the heat pump blower was running a lot today. I'll test again tomorrow when it's quiet to see if that noise has influenced the tuner readings.

Yes, Patrick, the tuner is set to 440. If that had been the problem, I would have been embarrassed alright!

Thanks for thinking with me about this, friends!
azw

Post by azw »

To follow up, I eventually returned the Hoover Whitecap whistles to Mack to be shorten the C and tweak the D. I think he may have replaced the barrel on the Whitecap D. They both play very nicely now and I'm very pleased with them.

While I was at it, I also bought a Blackcap in C. Wowee zowee, what a wonderful instrument that is!

My only problem now is that I've got an itch to pick up a Blackcap in D, too.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

doesn't sound like much of a problem! :lol: :lol:

Glad you got your whistles running smoothly.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

As far as tuning goes, I've found that if you're flat by 20-30 cents then it is pretty noticable when playing with others. If tuning dead on is not an option for a certain whistle's characteristics then I've found that tuning about 10 cents sharp works better than the alternative of going flat.

Ex: If you find that a whistle plays dead on in the first register but goes a bit flat in the second (assuming it's the whistle and barring any user error) then tune your first register a bit sharp and then your second register will be right on. The first register being a bit sharp will sound better than the second being flat.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

azw wrote:Even when I play by myself I find the 0XX 000 sound (which is almost the same as 000 000) really grating.
Try 0XXX0X
That works for me on many tubes.
azw

Post by azw »

fearfaoin wrote:Try 0XXX0X
That works for me on many tubes.
That does work! Thanks. It sounds better than OXXXXO, too.

Do you use that fingering mostly when you're holding a note longer, or do you even use it in a fast passage?