terrible

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emtor

terrible

Post by emtor »

I overheard a most terrible statement today. Someone pics up a whistle from a table in my livingroom and states:
"This is a recorder . . . right?"
I replied that the whistle isn't even a distant cousine to the recorder.
The other person did not agree and argued that the two at least were woodwinds and therefore closely related.
-The truth is folks . . . the relationship between the recorder and the whistle is roughly the same as you'll find
in cockroaches and human beings,-both being carbon based lifeforms.
-That's as far as I'm willing to go regarding the relationship between whistles and recorders.
Crysania
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Crysania »

I guess we all have our opinions, but I think the recorder and the whistle are cousins at the very least. They're similar in a LOT of ways.

And I proudly play both.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I think the original post is just playing on the long-standing jokes on the forum about recorders and how playing them gives you hairy palms.

(I used to play lots of sacred music on the recorder. Did I have hairy psalms? :twisted: )

Recorders, whistles, and flageolets are all very close cousins, all being fipple flutes.

Many people who play one of these also play one or more of the others.

This practice is known as "cross-fippling," and seems to be gaining a slow, grudging acceptance in mainstream whistling society.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Hairy psalms. lol.

I've played recorder a lot longer than I've played whistle (some 13 years vs. nearly 4). I know the jokes -- I just don't get them. Ah well...

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

-The truth is folks . . . the relationship between the recorder and the whistle is roughly the same as you'll find
in cockroaches and human beings,-both being carbon based lifeforms.
There were six-hole fipple flutes in Europe before the recorder, and they were pretty similar to recorders from the same time, so that it seems like the recorder was developed out of some kind of whistles. So no, that's not true. If you were talking about, say, the whistle and the contrabass rackett, then you'd be on to something.

I'm never offended when people ask if my whistle is a recorder. First off I'm honored since I consider the recorder a beautiful instrument (tho when I do play it, or whistle for that matter, it's not exactly so), second off I can't blame people for not knowing a semi-obscure folk instrument from a foreign country, and third off... whatever. Why bother to get irritated? Don't get irritated if you can help it, it's no fun :P
bdh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

I just think people get confused when they see whistles made out of anything other than metal ("tin"). People often mistake my soprano saxophone for a metal clarinet!
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
Inquisitor Generalis

Post by Inquisitor Generalis »

Honestly, I was just surprised at how many people don't know what the tin whistle is. I just assumed it was common knowledge.
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

This isn't the recorder forum?
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
emtor

joke

Post by emtor »

I think the original post is just playing on the long-standing jokes on the forum about recorders
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your comment is on the spot,-my intention was making a joke.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

TheSpoonMan wrote:There were six-hole fipple flutes in Europe before the recorder, and they were pretty similar to recorders from the same time, so that it seems like the recorder was developed out of some kind of whistles.
If you look at the fingering for the first octave key of D scale on a C recorder, you'll see there's a vestigal D pennywhistle in there.

The fingering is the same, except maybe for a crossfingered F#. Then, if you look at the fingering for the key of G scale, you'll see again, the fingering is the same, except for the crossfingered Cnat, you use OXO OOOO on the recorder instead of OXX OOO that a lot of whistles use.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Denny

Post by Denny »

vomitbunny wrote:This isn't the recorder forum?
shhhh... they are pretending it's a whistle forum...
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

TheSpoonMan wrote:
There were six-hole fipple flutes in Europe before the recorder, and they were pretty similar to recorders from the same time, so that it seems like the recorder was developed out of some kind of whistles.
Yes. Recorders are obvously a more highly evolved instrument, played by more highly evolved musicians.

:wink: :devil:
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: terrible

Post by Walden »

emtor wrote:I overheard a most terrible statement today. Someone pics up a whistle from a table in my livingroom and states:
"This is a recorder . . . right?"
I replied that the whistle isn't even a distant cousine to the recorder.
This is a set of recorders.

This is a set of whistles from one of the world's most popular makers (maker of the above recorders).
Reasonable person
Walden
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Curiosity, Walden: did you ever get a Susato recorder?

How does it play?

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

peeplj wrote:Curiosity, Walden: did you ever get a Susato recorder?

How does it play?

--James
No... I went with a Dreamflute recorder instead. Dreamflute has a nice tone.

My curiosity still wants to try a Susato.
Reasonable person
Walden