Wooden Whistles VERSUS Tin Recorders

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
talasiga
antispam: No

Wooden Whistles VERSUS Tin Recorders

Post by talasiga »

I wanted to initiate the most popular topic in this forum. After a random survey of topic titles and readership/contribution nexi I figured that my topic title here would attract the most success.

All invited including noobs and vets .....

:party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

Meh... they're all just tubes with holes in 'em. :party:
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

Some with more holes than others.
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

Okay..I have played recorders made out of hardwoods, softwoods, plastic, ABS (still plastic but somehow different) and bakelite. I have also played recorders made for reel to reel, cassette, mini and digital. I have played whistles made out of tin, PVC and natural canes.
Now..since I have never played a turned, hardwood whistle nor a tin recorder I can't weigh in. So please send me at least four of both so I can judge them accurately. To keep things fair I will require the recorders to be a tenor, an alto, a soprano and a sopranino. The whistles need to be of equvialent keys.
When I am finished I'll happily send the tin recorders to someone else while I keep the wood whistles just to be sure they are playable.
Oh, I may be a noob when it comes to whistles I'm not when it comes to recorders and I have played clarinets made out of wood, plastic and metal..trust me the wood sounded the best, the metal the worst. The plastics were in between and varied depending on the maker and the type of plastic used.
BTW, I'm still in search of a bakelite whistle from the late 1930's to the early 1940's to add to my collection
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hi Jooty

There certainly are metal recorders and I have seen both sopranos and altos but I have yet to play one.

Metal clarinets - I love them! I regret swapping mine for a sax but fortunately they are easy to find in this part of the world.
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

Adrian wrote:Hi Jooty

There certainly are metal recorders and I have seen both sopranos and altos but I have yet to play one.
Ah, but I didn't doubt there existence..just said that I have never played one. Ditto for the hardwood whistles, I know they exist but my husband would faint if I paid $150 and up for a whistle (yet he doesn't blink at hundreds for a recorder)
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

cutterpup wrote: I know they exist but my husband would faint if I paid $150 and up for a whistle (yet he doesn't blink at hundreds for a recorder)
How about an Adler-Heinrich whistle? I've not tried the new model, but I have one of their older model ones. I reckon you can get one for about the same cost as a wooden soprano rec***er of the same maker. I think they can be had at a discount from some online music dealers.

Reasonable person
Walden
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Buckeye67 wrote:Meh... they're all just tubes with holes in 'em. :party:
So is my GI tract...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
C age ing

Post by C age ing »

Blatant bias. Just wood and tin?
What's wrong with carbon composites or pastry for either? :boggle: :boggle:
Played banjo as it only had five strings, so how the hell am I going to cope with six holes?
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

C age ing wrote:What's wrong with ...pastry? :boggle: :boggle:
Ooh!

Now that sounds interesting - a cannoli/whistle. And the key would change as you consume it.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
dDave

Post by dDave »

Howdy,

What I want is the best of both worlds - a metal tubed whistle with wooden holes.

Best,

Dave
pjuuldk

Post by pjuuldk »

I'm in for the Adler Heinrich, I've just bought one, and I love it.
If you like to play the Susato you're gonna love this whistle it's got duble backpressure and breath control and louder than the Susato, but the sound of it. OOOhh. RITCH; FAT; LOUD

Peter
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

The thing with tin recorders is that by definition one of those just cannot be good. Before you shout me down let me explain why not. A recorder is expected to play cromatically across a range of 2 octaves+ . The + can be as much as another octave in exceptional cases. It is also expected to have a more uniform sound quality than the whistle. That is the low and high notes are , in theory more similar in strength than they are on whistles. All of this is engineered by having a very intricate inner bore. The school recorders are just conical-bore. This is merely a rather poor approximation of what a good recorder is like inside. And this whole thing is something that any recorder player over a certain level will perceive very clearly. And I haven't even touched on the tuning, which is a far more complex subject, once again because of the cromatic cross-fingering. In short. A tin recorder is something that is better avoided.
Now, a wistle is just not a recorder. The music, technique, and all requirements are completely different. Which is why tin whistles are so succesful. My personal opinion is that wooden whistles can be and are at least every bit as good as tin ones, but metal ones are truly musical instruments, unlike metal recorders.
I'm probably in deep trouble now from some players. Well, you can't win them all.[/i]
talasiga

evidence based medecine

Post by talasiga »

Yuri wrote:The thing with tin recorders is that by definition one of those just cannot be good.
So you have seen or played a tin recorder then?
:-?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Yuri wrote:The thing with tin recorders is that by definition one of those just cannot be good. Before you shout me down let me explain why not. A recorder is expected to play cromatically across a range of 2 octaves+ . The + can be as much as another octave in exceptional cases. It is also expected to have a more uniform sound quality than the whistle. That is the low and high notes are , in theory more similar in strength than they are on whistles. All of this is engineered by having a very intricate inner bore. The school recorders are just conical-bore. This is merely a rather poor approximation of what a good recorder is like inside. And this whole thing is something that any recorder player over a certain level will perceive very clearly. And I haven't even touched on the tuning, which is a far more complex subject, once again because of the cromatic cross-fingering. In short. A tin recorder is something that is better avoided.
Now, a wistle is just not a recorder. The music, technique, and all requirements are completely different. Which is why tin whistles are so succesful. My personal opinion is that wooden whistles can be and are at least every bit as good as tin ones, but metal ones are truly musical instruments, unlike metal recorders.
I'm probably in deep trouble now from some players. Well, you can't win them all.[/i]
Whistles made of tin (or, to be more specific, tinplate) are conical. One could conceivably make a recorder of similar bore to a typical school recorder, if one put the seam on the side, rather than on the back, so that there can be a thumb hole.
Reasonable person
Walden