Key of E??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Key of E??

Post by missy »

My church has asked me to play a descant part of a song on the whistle. The song is in the key of E, the notes I need go from F# above middle C to the F# an octave higher.

What's the best way of getting the G# and D#? Is there any way to do this on a D whistle (because that's my "better" whistle)? I do have some other keyed ones - what is the best choice for this?

I wish the director would just let me play it on the dulcimer! I have a chromatic, so it would be no problem......

Thanks for any help.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
undone

Post by undone »

Hi, Missy.

If you're using an E whistle, the G# and D# should be easy to play: G# = XXXXOO D# = OOOOOO.

I don't think you'll be able to use a D whistle unless you have a tunable one and you can push it in far enough to tune it to E. Its probably easier to use an F whistle and pull it out far enough to tune to E.
Borderpiper
antispam: No

Post by Borderpiper »

You could play the tune on a D whistle but you'd have to half hole to get the D# and the G#.

D# = XXX XXD
G# = XXD OOO

D = half covered hole.

Try pushing your 2nd and 3rd fingers close together to get a G#

Is it a fast or slow piece, are you mic'd up and who else is playing?

Check how many D# and G#s there are too, if there are only a few it may not be that difficuilt. You could try changing a few of the tricky notes to make it easier, especially if you are playing with a few people eg move a G# to an E or a B (try both and see what fits) and try moving a D# to a F# or a B.

Hope this helps
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I often play in the key of E on a D whistle in church rather than use my higher pitched E whistle, and found it is quite easy as you only have to half hole with the third fingers of each hand.
~William~

Post by ~William~ »

You play whistle at your church group?!?!? :o
I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed.
-Mahatma Ghandi
undone

Post by undone »

~William~ wrote:You play whistle at your church group?!?!? :o
Sure! Some of the most powerful contemporary Christian music today incorporates the whistle.
~William~

Post by ~William~ »

undone wrote:
Sure! Some of the most powerful contemporary Christian music today incorporates the whistle.
Wow, i never heard the whistle played in any hymes, i bet it would sound good, do you happen to have any clips of you playing with your group, you got me interested now :lol:
I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed.
-Mahatma Ghandi
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Key of E??

Post by BrassBlower »

missy wrote:My church has asked me to play a descant part of a song on the whistle.
You provided an important clue here. As this is a descant part, you can (and probably should) substitute a different note for the leading tone (in this case, D#), wherever it may occur. This leaves the notes E, F#, G#, A, B, and C#. All of these are readily accessible on a D whistle except for the G#, which is an easy half-hole. I would probably use an E or A whistle here and avoid all half-holing, but if your D whistle is that much better, you should go ahead and use it.

Your daily dose of music theory. :twisted:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Sure it's not in F# minor? Doesn't matter. I'd play it on a B whistle (an O'Brien) but I'd need a mic. If you like half-holing, use your favourite D; if you want it easy, use an E whistle. Either way, do what's comfortable for you.

Good luck!
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

BrassBlower wrote:
missy wrote:My church has asked me to play a descant part of a song on the whistle.
You provided an important clue here. As this is a descant part, you can (and probably should) substitute a different note for the leading tone (in this case, D#), wherever it may occur. This leaves the notes E, F#, G#, A, B, and C#. All of these are readily accessible on a D whistle except for the G#, which is an easy half-hole. I would probably use an E or A whistle here and avoid all half-holing, but if your D whistle is that much better, you should go ahead and use it.

Your daily dose of music theory. :twisted:
BrassBlower

Teach please. Why a different note for the leading tone in a descant part? And what would normally replace it?

Thanks
missy

Post by missy »

Thanks for all your suggestions.

After working a bit with Tom (who plays a r^&*%@r) we've decided he's going to take the main notes of the descant part, and I'm going to do a harmony note to match him, leaving out the pesky half holing. I'm actually not having too much trouble with the G#, but the D# is still kinda hit or miss if I catch it. So we figured the best way is to just eliminate it!

After this weekend, I need to switch to the hammered dulcimer and practice for Christmas. We're going to do some of the prelude - Star of the East and Carol of the Bells.

Thanks again!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

Adrian wrote: Why a different note for the leading tone in a descant part? And what would normally replace it?

Thanks
1. It's probably more of a personal preference than anything. When I play a leading tone, my ears and fingers immediately want to go to the key note, and that often turns out to be incorrect. :boggle:

2. It depends on the chord being played. I usually play the root note of the chord.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

I guess it's all up to the individual but I play in the key of 'E' best with my 'A' whistle. It takes a few half holes but it's not too bad (depending on the tune, of course). Good luck! :)
markbell

Post by markbell »

I've been playing whistle at church for about 15 years. That's probably even before it was "cool".

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
Buckeye67

Post by Buckeye67 »

I don't have anything material to add to the subject matter at hand. I just thought I'd pop in to say howdy to another Cincinnati whistler! :o