Not sure where to start!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mozart
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Not sure where to start!

Post by Mozart »

Hi there everyone. I'm a classicaly trained flutist and have been playing flute for about 16 years. I don't know what brought it on, but all of a sudden I'm obsessed with whistles and the irish flute. I bought a Walton whistle a few weeks ago (being a flutist I caught on real quick) and I like it fine but I'm sure there's better out there. I've ordered a wood pennywhistle from Erik the Flutemaker (haven't gotten it yet). I've been trying to research the different whistle makers out there and there's just so many. Along with options like soprano, low, small bore, wide bore, etc. I'd like to start playing the whistle at church and use it for weddings. I'm also interested in an Irish flute (I think that's another section on the board though) Any suggestions on what I should start on? Thanks and it's great to be here!

Matt :D
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Best whistles depend on a number of factors, $$, finger preference, sound you like, etc....

I started by buying a bunch of the inexpensive ones to get a feel for what sound I like and migrated to the hi-priced ones based on the advice of a number of people here. Buying. trading and selling as needed. I tried some excellent whistles but they didnt fit me so they were sold or given away.

Ive owned Clares, Feadogs, Overtons, Copelands, Oaks, Acorns, non-tweaked Gens, Waltons, and ultimately settled on an original set of Freeman Tweaked Gens, Dixon C/D tunable, a couple of Bussman Ds, Serpent D, and Phil Hardy's Line, including a full set of Chieftains and all of his Low Ds except for the Kerry.

They happened to fit my personality, style, how I wanted to sound and my fingering preferences. No reason other than playability and enjoyment with any specific brand.

While it would be easy to say "buy this whistle" it ultimately boils down to what you enjoy the most.
Last edited by StewySmoot on Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Yeah, despite his avatar, Stewy's a sharp guy. It's gonna be very much a trial-and-error thing based on your subjective likes and dislikes. And they will change over time. Some never feel the need to move up from a Generation or Feadog. Some have to have every high-end whistle made. I've been actively buying, selling and trading for a little while, and have found that I do, in fact, prefer to play some of the mid- to high-end whistles better. I could list a few, but in the mid-tier "bang-for-the-buck" category, I'd have to recommend the Syn sets available from Gaelic Crossings. http://www.gaeliccrossings.com/store/index.php/cat_14 They're very inexpensive for a set, and are really good, quality whistles that most people love.

For flutes, the best-regarded starters seem to be the ones from Doug Tipple, Desi Seery, Sweetheart and M&E. Of course, there are many others, and you'll want to browse the Flute Forum at length. I'm awaiting a Tipple that's due here tomorrow!

Welcome, good luck, and have fun! :)
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Ditto Stewy.

I'm dialed into a full set of Freeman Tweaked Gens (red cap and brass), a Classic all copper O'Brien, Reyburn C/D set, a Nickel Silver Copeland, black anodized Overton, and a Serpent Village Smithy D. That's a summary of the high Ds.

The pic is just those that are always within reach at my desk.

The remaining keys are in the process of being filled up, one by one, with Overton and Reyburn whistles.
Last edited by dfernandez77 on Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Hi Matt.

I also started with the Boehm-system flute and found my way to Irish trad.

Given your background, I'd recommend you get three whistles: an Oak, for when you want a very chiffy bite to the sound, a Syn, for when you want some volume, and a Burke session bore brass D, because I've been playing Jen's for about the last week and it's just one of the damn finest whistles I've ever tried. :D

As for flutes, again, given your background, I think you need to give either Pat Olwell or Hammy Hamilton a call. I'd recommend a keyless Hamilton; if you want a fully chromatic 6-key, Hammy will send you the keyless with its shorter waiting list, while he takes a couple of years to make the keyed body.

Unless you want an indestructible flute that requires almost no special care at all, in which case you want a keyless M&E (which is styled after the Rudall family of flutes) or Seery (which is styled after the Pratten family of large-holed flutes). These are fine instruments, relatively inexpensive, usually available without a waiting list, do not require oiling, can be left assenmbled indefinitely without damaging the tenons, and can be simply washed with soap and water if they get dirty.

Whatever you decide, best wishes, and be welcome here!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

For whistles, I'd recommend a Clare brass in D and a Walton's nickel in C. Any of the cheapies will do for starters, but I've found these to be the best of the <$10 whistles for playing right out of the box.

For flutes I'd suggest posting a message to the flute board, or, better yet, perusing several pages' worth to see what's out there and to maybe make your request more specific.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

My High Ds are a Black Diamond, a GFM, a Sweetheart, an O'Brien (with a C# pinkie hole), and a Busman Olivewood. It is all about preference, but thinking about the way a Silver Flute plays, James has probably nailed it. You would probably like Whistles with a pure tone and low back pressure as those are closer tol playing silver Flute.

For Flutes, James has recommended two makes which I have enver tryed, but constantly get good reviews. To that list I would add Mike Grinter, Dave Copley, Casey Burns, and Terry McGee. In terms of price a keyless (with rings and tuning slide) from each is around the same amount ($900-$1200). If you want more answers about Flutes, definantly go to the Flute board you will get all the advice you want and some you don't want.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Burke session bore brass D,
Exactly what I was thinking.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
riverman

Post by riverman »

Despite what many will say, even in the whistle world you get what you pay for. Get a Burke, or, if you can afford it, something even better. This is true especially if you have expeience with quality musical instruments.
My Burke is my friend, and if I ever get a chance, I'll add a Copeland, Overton or Abell to keep it company.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.