the one that got away

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

the one that got away

Post by tin tin »

Just out of idle curiosity, in this frenzied public market for six-holed instruments, where instruments are sometimes aquired faster than tunes to play on them...

Have you sold an instrument and then regretted it?
Last edited by tin tin on Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I missed buying a WW A by a few minutes. :-?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Tintin, nearly EVERY instrument I've sold I've regretted doing so the moment after it left my hands. Some of them it took years to realize what I 'lost'. At some point I decided that really two fine whistles that I just didn't play enough (but were in the hands of people who appreciated them and played them) I would put on perma-loan. It is theirs as long as they play it. When they no longer play them, I wish to have them back. There is a Thin Weasel and a Grinter out there that I saved from seller's remorse.

But the only one I pursued after a sale was an old-style Syn. Sold it, regretted it, bought multiple others in search of the sound and sold or returned them all, and was finally gifted one that is perfect!

If I stop buying, I'll stop selling. If I stop selling, I'll never regret the sale!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I never sell them. Why would I want to do that? If its because they don't get played enough there is another solution. :D

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've sold bunches of instruments that I wish I still had. However, I don't have a very big instrument budget, so if I want to try something new I usually have to sell something old to finance it.

-Brett
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

It hasn't happened with whistles yet. I'm still acquiring.

I have bought and sold a good many banjos, guitars, fiddles and mandolins, in my life, though. Only regrets: a Martin 0-15 guitar from 1954 (which I sold to a friend, (he laughs at me every time he breaks it out), and a 1921 Gibson A-0 mandolin. I sold these to buy a 1923 Vega Tubaphone banjo and a 2000 Weber Beartooth mandolin, respectively. These are keepers, too, so I try not to be too hard on myself! :sniffle:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

My family dearly wishes I'd flog some instruments, regrets or no. Seems the only bits of gear I sell are electronic.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Sold tons of whistles and flutes. I haven't regretted the sale of one whistle. There are a couple of flutes I regret just a tny bit, but 99% of the time I'm glad I sold them. I REALLY need to concentrate on just a handful of flutes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My beautiful half size bass that I had totally refinished and set up ever so nicely... I came home to 'visit' and never went back ... alas, it made more sense to sell the bass than to either try to ship it or to go back and get it... funny thing is, the gal I sold it to then moved to within 200 miles of me... she resisted attempts to buy it back... good for her... bad for me... I ended up selling a lot of things in that 'move' that I regret losing.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Tommy wrote:I missed buying a WW A by a few minutes. :-?
Try contacting Glenn Schultz's family at thnwzl@aol.com

I had an e-mail from his daughter Bree a couple of weeks ago, and they still have a number of instruments left. Not sure exactly what, but it's worth an e-mail.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

brewerpaul wrote:
Tommy wrote:I missed buying a WW A by a few minutes. :-?
Try contacting Glenn Schultz's family at thnwzl@aol.com

I had an e-mail from his daughter Bree a couple of weeks ago, and they still have a number of instruments left. Not sure exactly what, but it's worth an e-mail.
Thanks Paul.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

I regret selling my O'Riordan for $800 and then realized I could have gotten a good $1100!

Just kidding. Never owned one. I don't condone the behavior anyway!
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
CelloDog

Post by CelloDog »

I put a Chieftain OS low G for sale on C&F; none of you replied. I figured out how to properly play (and love) it as my post sank slowly to the bottom. Thanks to all of you for not responding :) .
Doug
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

CelloDog wrote:I put a Chieftain OS low G for sale on C&F; none of you replied. I figured out how to properly play (and love) it as my post sank slowly to the bottom. Thanks to all of you for not responding :) .
Doug
:lol: :lol: You're welcome!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

picardy third wrote:I regret selling my O'Riordan for $800 and then realized I could have gotten a good $1100!

Just kidding. Never owned one. I don't condone the behavior anyway!
I DID trade my O'Riordan set away and do not regret it one bit. I like my Rose, Bleazey(s), Lancewood Syn, Weston and Renee's Flute much more.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus