Whistle Materials

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What material is your favorite whistle made from?

Poll ended at Mon May 01, 2006 2:30 pm

Metal
63%
PVC
10%
Wood
27%

Total votes: 59

CRC

Whistle Materials

Post by CRC »

I was reading about whistles today and looking at the different materials they can be made from. Just wondering what material your favorite whistle is made from.
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Black Mage »

My favorite has a polymer fipple and aluminium body.
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
gallant_murray

Post by gallant_murray »

You really ought to put Mike Burke's composite material as an option. His composites are the sweetest sounding whistles I've ever heard. I don't know why more players don't go for them. The only whistle I regret selling is a Burke composite Eb. It was honey.
Ramzy Berbawy

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Scout Finch
billw

Post by billw »

Chrome molybdenum steel. 4130 alloy, to be specific. Hard, crystalline, drawn tubing that rings like a bell, and adds a "brightness" to the sound. Nothing else matches it.

Pure hell to work, tears up cobalt tools, cuttings are evil thin sharp slivers that get in the skin and hurt like Hell, require a strong magnifier to locate, and a sharply-pointed razor knife to remove. Or a samarium cobalt magnet. Regular ceramic magnets will simply not do it.

But the sound is second to none.
Bill Whedon
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
CRC

Post by CRC »

Composite! Didn't even know there was such a thing. Sorry. They look like very nice whistles though. http://www.burkewhistles.com/about_burke_whistles2.htm
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Depends on the Whistle, I have played wooden sounding metal and wooden soundig Plastic and have played wood that soudned like one or the other. So what I really need is an "other" or "all of the above" category. Plus I am pretty sure I did a very similar poll a while ago.
CRC

Post by CRC »

Unseen122 wrote: Plus I am pretty sure I did a very similar poll a while ago.
Perhaps, you could direct me to this poll. :) Sorry, I was going to add more options but wanted to keep it broad. Didn't think to add an "all of the above" choice or "other".
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I didn't think of every thing myself when I did it. Looks like it was beginning 05 so close to 1 1/2 year ago. http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... t=material
CRC

Post by CRC »

Good poll. I also like the phrasing. Well, this was my 1st time starting a poll. Maybe next time I'll do better.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Dad-Gummit! I really think "all of the above" should be an automatic inclusion on polls! :swear: :lol:

I have three favorites at the moment... metal Burke (DBSBT), PVC Water Weasel (D or G) and my new Sweetheart Pro (D - wood)

I play them about equal time.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
CRC

Post by CRC »

Sorry! Sorry! :o If I start a different poll I'll be sure to include all of these things! I'll also do more research.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

CRC wrote:Sorry! Sorry! :o If I start a different poll I'll be sure to include all of these things! I'll also do more research.
Hey, I'm not really mad.... really! It was a good question to consider, and although similar polls have been done, I answered this one differently than I could have answered earlier ones.

I do want that "all of the above" option, though. :lol: (It is often the answer I would choose, but hardly anyone includes it.) :cry:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

For me, only whistles made from Unobtainium will do.

Loren
CRC

Post by CRC »

anniemcu wrote:
CRC wrote:Sorry! Sorry! :o If I start a different poll I'll be sure to include all of these things! I'll also do more research.
Hey, I'm not really mad.... really! It was a good question to consider, and although similar polls have been done, I answered this one differently than I could have answered earlier ones.

I do want that "all of the above" option, though. :lol: (It is often the answer I would choose, but hardly anyone includes it.) :cry:
Forget it! I am permanently scarred. I won't be starting another poll for a LONG time! :lol:(I knew you weren't really mad)
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Loren wrote:For me, only whistles made from Unobtainium will do.

Loren
mmm ... unobtainium ... drool.

As for me, I'm looking for a good low E whistle in mild steel. Call it "Captain Goodvibes" and wait for the rust to give it a bit of goat.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com