good tunes to play either slow or fast

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

A few weeks ago I was listening to the Chieftans Long Black Veil and decided to learn Dunmore Lasses since it's not played too fast and has an almost haunting quality. Then today, again while working on my mail route, I got out an older cd I hadn't listened to in a while and low and behold there was a set, can't remember who by, its in the car still or I'd look, but Dunmore Lasses was played in cut time, very fast, and it sounded wonderful. I couldn't wait to get home to try it faster and shocked myself by being able to do it! So that got me to wondering....
Have ya'll come across other tunes like this?
That are absoultely beautiful played slower with feeling and also GREAT if you just tear into them and let it fly?
ChrisA

Post by ChrisA »

I think that Road to Lisdoonvarna counts as one of those (which is probably why the same notes can be timed as either a reel or a jig... weird tune all around, that one...)
I can't play it fast enough to be sure though, but I like it both slow and as fast as I can play it. :smile:

--Chris
JimmyM

Post by JimmyM »

'Banks of Locheil' can be played as a jig, but is haunting when played as a slow air.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Love at the Endings is beautiful played slowly (in McCullough first book). Jay Unger style with fiddle, guitar and whistle. The Weekenders play it that way and everybody thinks its some new thing but ha, its a reel!

Good ol "Rosin the Bow" sounds like Scots or American oldtime played slow but like a jig fast.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Weekenders on 2002-05-04 14:35 ]</font>
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Well, off my head I can think of:

Rolling in the Barrel
Strayaway Child
Paddy on the Binge
Gan Ainm (the one that Seamus Egan always plays)
The Butterfly
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

The Gravel walk is mostly played at break-neck tempo by hyper-active fiddle players but sounds really good played slow and relaxed on whistle. Mike :smile:
boyd
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

My "slow" set of reels [and some recordings you could hear them on] are:

The Maids of Mitchelstown [Bothy Band]
The Last Pint [Lunasa]
Cuz Teehan's [McGoldrick or Lunasa??]

They all sound great slow

...and fast

Boyd
http://www.strathspeyinmay.com
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Star of the County Down works well either way. In fact, I like to play it as a slow air, then cut into a fast bouncy version.
Tim Britton plays a slow, dreamy version of Banks of Lough Goughna which is terrific.
On a related note, the great pianist Arthur Rubenstein said " Most people play slow compositions too slow, and fast ones too fast". Something to think about.
Whatever your favorite killer-fast tune is, try playing it slowly. Even if you don't especially like it that way, I'll bet you get a better insight into the tune by doing this once in a while.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brian_k

Post by brian_k »

Haste to the Wedding (Deifir na Bainfheise) becomes a beautiful & stately march, when played at about one-third speed.
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

Cutting Bracken / I'm So Tired (Tha Mi Sgith) can be done as a 3/4 air and as a strathspey. I think Silly Wizard does it that way.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Check out Michael Miles' slow version of The Wind that Shakes the Barley on 5-string banjo. It's almost at the bottom of the page. There's some other nice stuff too. A slowish version of Whiskey Before Breakfast.

http://www.magicbanjo.com/mbanjo_record ... ic%20Banjo

Steve
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

On 2002-05-04 07:55, brewerpaul wrote:
Star of the County Down works well either way. In fact, I like to play it as a slow air, then cut into a fast bouncy version.
I'll second that... it's surprising how good it sounds as a slow air.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

On 2002-05-04 09:37, raindog1970 wrote:
On 2002-05-04 07:55, brewerpaul wrote:
I'll second that... it's surprising how good it sounds as a slow air.
Wait a minute.. wasn't "Star of the County Down" a slow song/air originally?
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

On 2002-05-04 09:57, Eldarion wrote:
Wait a minute.. wasn't "Star of the County Down" a slow song/air originally?
Most versions I've heard are pretty lively, but I don't doubt that you're right.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

I'm glad everyone thinks this way...slow and fast too. I was thinking of making a c.d. of a lot of the tunes I like only played slow
or slower so the general public would see how nice the songs could be when a fiddler wasn't just ripping them out fast as lightening.
Lolly