Dilemma: Which low whistle to turn to?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Alexander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Dilemma: Which low whistle to turn to?

Post by Alexander »

Whistlers,

amongst other dilemma's at the moment I have that one you all have succesfully solved, I think: I'm seriously thinking about beginning with low whistling. I have some experiece with a (high) D Clare whistle, which is quiet nice to my ears.

Reading these pages and the "Low whistles" department of the Chiff&Fipple page I got more confused than I expected: At one side you may say: Start with a cheaper model and gather your experience, wheather or not this is the right thing for you. The other side: Buy yourself some better quality and its a lot of fun and you surely stick to whistling.

The other thing is: What sound is favourable to my ears? I really like Kames Mc Nallys plaing on the Afro Celt albums and I totally agree that the Overton he obviously playes is a cosmic drainpipe which I really like. And I liked to see Phil Hardys small movie clips watching him play his Chieftain and Kerry Low D (with plastic head). Also I learned, that the Howards are well recommended.

As to my skills and abilities: I have long fingers, some experience in high whistling and played trombone in early years, so I have enough breath ;-) I like playing some irish tunes but also interested in tunes worldwide and delighted by new ways of whistling like Phil in more jazzy atmosphere or James Mc Nally. Also like to hear Davey Spillane and his playing. I realized these days, that he was the one whistling on one of my favourite albums of Chris Rea "Let's dance".

I have a good ability to play tunes off the head and from tablature, but mostly use the tablature for learning purposes only and then playing "off by heart/off head".

Now it's up to me, I know: Looking for high quality cosmic (Overton) or more standard fun (Chieftain) or making compromises (Kerry, Howard, Tony Dixon, AlJo/twz, Bantry).

Folks, any hint to give me? At least, what NOT to do.

desperate regards
Alex :-?
Best regards from
Alexander
down in the Rhine valley
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

I was in Phil Hardy's workshop the other day blowing various whistles "hot off the press". I have to say that they were all good (and that's not because he currently has his foot on my head!).
I think he's doing some kind of free E/Eflat deal at the moment if you buy a tuneable Low D. Seems like a bargain to me.
Last edited by Chief Wanganui on Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
That Scottish Git.
pop

Post by pop »

I bought a chieftan F ,Havent got my head round it yet but its the honkiest horniest sound, too rude to be a whistle fantastic bit of work.
love it. :)
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I swore I would never play low whistles until I played one of Mr. Reyburn's. I have a wide bore low D that is absolutely fantastic. It's the only low whistle I've ever liked.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Folks,
thanks so far. That all sounds to me like making the choice between Window, Mac and Linux.

Anyway, reading between the lines it sounds to me like the Chieftain is a solid choice, more valuable for beginners than the others, which are suitable for the advantaged whistlers like the Overton and the Reyburn low D wide bore, which indeed sounds excellent from the clips but efforts some experience.

Am I wrong? More advice?

Alex
Best regards from
Alexander
down in the Rhine valley
brotherwind

chieftain low D

Post by brotherwind »

Hi,
just got a used old-style nontunable Chieftain low d. I like it very much. It is much better than I had imagined.

brotherwind
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

I have the Kerry Sonbird low D, and I like it. You'll find a number of reviews on the forum now. I think the hole spacing on this instrument would be to your liking if you're new to low whistles.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I find it hard to advise people about this topic. Really hard. There's such a wide range of choices and probable not a single instrument that addresses every need, and maybe not even all the needs of a particular player. I'm a big fan of Overtons. I've long championed the latter day Howards as a good overall choice. I like the Burkes, but particularly the composite models. I've only played one of Ronaldo's instruments. It was early and I didn't get along with it all that well. I need to try another. I like the Copeland Low D, but not for every application. The new Sweetheart is fabulous. I do say that I think probably in a desert-island scenario, the Sweetheart might be my pick. But, gee, I'd hate to see all the others go.

Recently, I had some accomplished Irish musicians in my home. One was in the market for a Low F. I have Low Fs by many makers. They had trouble deciding and then did a blindfold test using a couple of the musicians as judges. The winner? Burke Composite.
Chief Wanganui

Post by Chief Wanganui »

Dale wrote:I find it hard to advise people about this topic. Really hard. There's such a wide range of choices and probable not a single instrument that addresses every need, and maybe not even all the needs of a particular player. I'm a big fan of Overtons. I've long championed the latter day Howards as a good overall choice. I like the Burkes, but particularly the composite models. I've only played one of Ronaldo's instruments. It was early and I didn't get along with it all that well. I need to try another. I like the Copeland Low D, but not for every application. The new Sweetheart is fabulous. I do say that I think probably in a desert-island scenario, the Sweetheart might be my pick. But, gee, I'd hate to see all the others go.

Recently, I had some accomplished Irish musicians in my home. One was in the market for a Low F. I have Low Fs by many makers. They had trouble deciding and then did a blindfold test using a couple of the musicians as judges. The winner? Burke Composite.
Very interesting. I had to play a Burke Composite in an emergency situation once. Eric Rigler lent it to me and it worked beautifully.
After the session I traded him a Chieftain Low A for it. It's in the somewhat esoteric key of F sharp so, consequently, I don't use it often. Brilliant whistle, though. Hmm, maybe I should get some more (!?).
That Scottish Git.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Chief Wanganui wrote:Very interesting. I had to play a Burke Composite in an emergency situation once. Eric Rigler lent it to me and it worked beautifully.
After the session I traded him a Chieftain Low A for it. It's in the somewhat esoteric key of F sharp so, consequently, I don't use it often. Brilliant whistle, though. Hmm, maybe I should get some more (!?).
Burkes are probably (along with Susato) the most consistent whistles out there. If you like one, there's a good chance you'll like the others. I'd give Mr. Burke a call. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
pop

Post by pop »

It should be like buying a suit or a pair of shoes,There is not enough retailers that stock a wide enough selection,thats the conclusion i came too in the uk,There is a couple but every city should have an adequate retailer for something as individual and subjective as a whistle.
I went on the sound i liked and the finances available and recomendations off this site,plus the fact i could see the weapon in action on phil hardys site and it did it for me.Ive gone from playing a cheap faedog d to the kerry F and as you can imagine its blown me away,but i do wish i could of tried them all before buying.
and i never knew mr burke made great blindfolds as well as great whistles talented man :)
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

You will have to do like most others. Buy more than one. :) Like Lays potato chips, can't be happy with just one. :) You can buy six whistles and still not spend what it takes to get a grand piano.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Thanks much for the advice and considerings. Some very helpful thoughts, bringing me back to the moment, when I first realized my "falling in love" with the sound of a low whistle. It was when listening to JamesMcNally@ACSS. Another thought is, that I'm not going to collect whistles for all playing purposes, just looking for THE "grand piano" to explain, whats in my head (why gathering so many when you only can play one?). I think I found it, just have to wait for the right moment. I also found the (surprising) good "all around" compromise for the worst case ;-)

Thanks also to the tinwhistletunes.com. They are good help!
Best regards from
Alexander
down in the Rhine valley
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Buy one. Any one. If you like it your done. If you don't, sell it and go back to step one.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
CelloDog
antispam: No

Low Whistles (& "On Tour" Chieftain)

Post by CelloDog »

I was in a similar quandry and got some good advice here. Was going to get a Reyburn, I left him messages and was waiting for his reply when I got a private message here from someone with a Cillian O'Briain (a name on my short list). The price was right so I went for it. I'm very pleased with it (Thank You Clara!), plays well, great tone (a touch of "Cosmic Drainpipe" with more articulation and clarity) and is beautifully crafted. Of course I still regret not getting the Reyburn. They are have the most beautiful sound.
Before I bought my whistle I had a chance to try the the "On Tour" Chieftain OS low D whistle (life's too good). I'm not sure exactly how this process works but it was a great opportunity to try a low whistle before buying one. I still have the Cheiftain and I am awaiting instructions on where to send it next.
I'm pretty sure you will love whichever you get, though you will probably second guess yourself and wonder about the others.