You're inside the pub and they give you a chair

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

You're inside the pub and they give you a chair

Post by Trip- »

are you going to sit since all your musician fellas are also sitting ?

Actually what I want to say really, is that I find myself playing much better when I'm standing. In fact - sitting is making my playing much worse - both on the speed, the pain that's been coming and the rythm accuracy...

How do you find yourself playing - standing more or sitting more ?

so,
are you going to sit since all your musician fellas are also sitting ?

cheers,
Philip
Mitch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

I'd have to say that standing will make you popular!

The chairs run out so quickly and every time it's someone's turn to go to the bar for the free drinks it's the person barracaded in the corner with 3 boxes and 2 sets of drones to navigate!

A standing whistler will get the secret blessing every time!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have played sessions both ways.

Since sessions are usually around three hours long, I prefer to sit, but can certainly do it standing if no chair is available for whatever reason.

One catch: if you stand up, they are likely to assume you're wanting to start the next tune. :)

--James
Trip-

Post by Trip- »

3 hour session?
that sounds awefully stressful ;/
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

To the contrary, sessions are so much fun that when it's time to pack up and go home, it feels like you've only just got started!

--James
Bill Reeder

Re: You're inside the pub and they give you a chair

Post by Bill Reeder »

Trip- wrote:are you going to sit since all your musician fellas are also sitting ?
Actually what I want to say really, is that I find myself playing much better when I'm standing. In fact - sitting is making my playing much worse - both on the speed, the pain that's been coming and the rythm accuracy...
How do you find yourself playing - standing more or sitting more ?
so, are you going to sit since all your musician fellas are also sitting ?
cheers,
Philip
Curiously enough, I have just the opposite experience. Standing and playing just messes me up something terrible. :lol:
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

If I had to stand very much, I'd stop going.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I often switch from standing to sitting. I may start out sitting amongst a couple of other whistlers, but when I switch to mandolin I may wander over near the rest of the strings. It's interesting to hear the session from several different places.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I end up standing most of the time... chairs are usually at a premium anyway, and I tend to play bass about half the time, whistle the other ... but I do usually spend part of the session in a chair, and I really appreciate it when I can... I do sit when I play guitar though... can't do that standing as well.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

I live west of Seattle Washington, USA and grew up on the west coast of British Columbia, Canada and have never been to a "session". You are blessed to live somewhere where you can get in on the action. Here we have "jam" nights where musicians can join the house band and play a top 40 song or just "jam" but thats it. They are also called "open mike' venues. Going to a pub or tavern to get on a session with pipes and fiddles and whistles is unheard of here. I read all these posts about sessions and can only imagine how cool it must be...

WTA
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

William T. Anderson wrote:I live west of Seattle Washington, USA and grew up on the west coast of British Columbia, Canada and have never been to a "session". You are blessed to live somewhere where you can get in on the action.
According to thesession.org, there are twenty sessions in the state of Washington, including six in Seattle itself.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mitch wrote:I'd have to say that standing will make you popular!

The chairs run out so quickly and every time it's someone's turn to go to the bar for the free drinks it's the person barracaded in the corner with 3 boxes and 2 sets of drones to navigate!

A standing whistler will get the secret blessing every time!
I agree to that. Send the one alwready standing to the counter. But if the chairs do not have cushions I will be getting up several times to ease some of the discomfort. And like Paul said it is good to move and hear the session from another spot.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

William T. Anderson wrote:I live west of Seattle Washington, USA and grew up on the west coast of British Columbia, Canada and have never been to a "session". You are blessed to live somewhere where you can get in on the action. Here we have "jam" nights where musicians can join the house band and play a top 40 song or just "jam" but thats it. They are also called "open mike' venues. Going to a pub or tavern to get on a session with pipes and fiddles and whistles is unheard of here. I read all these posts about sessions and can only imagine how cool it must be...

WTA
Well then WTA take some leadership and start a session? There must be others waiting for someone to make a step.
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

Colomon,

Good website! I live across the straight from Seattle so I could check them out sometime thanks! Nothing within an hour of my home though.

Tommy,

Get suggestion except I'm not a "session" player and don't play trad at all. I could "sit in" but to lead would be beyond my capibilities. I love your "take charge" aproach!

WTA
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

William T. Anderson wrote:Colomon,

Good website! I live across the straight from Seattle so I could check them out sometime thanks! Nothing within an hour of my home though.

Tommy,

Get suggestion except I'm not a "session" player and don't play trad at all. I could "sit in" but to lead would be beyond my capibilities. I love your "take charge" aproach!

WTA
I thought you could set up the session, and someone will come that will lead the music.