O'Brien Whistle, A masterpiece for serious players...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Willima T Anderson

O'Brien Whistle, A masterpiece for serious players...

Post by Willima T Anderson »

David O'Brien of O'Brien Whistles,

Unfathonable! This set is more than I could every have hoped for from a tin whistle. "Perfect" is the only way to describe the all around artistry. Tone and pitch, weight and feel, breath and reaction all perfect. I am your biggest fan now David and I will be shouting it from the rooftops. As a recording artist and professional praise and worship leader I feel this whistle set is must have for any who wish to master this amazing ancient instrument. My only prayer now is for more hours in the day to enjoy these masterpieces. You must raise your prices to reflect what your work represents.

William T. Anderson
Salvation Army
Last edited by Willima T Anderson on Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

William, check your private messages. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Well, I'd hate to see his prices go up. :)

However, I agree with you on the quality of his work. My O'Brien is an outstanding whistle in every regard.

David O'Brien is a name I think we'll be hearing more about.

--James
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

peeplj wrote:Well, I'd hate to see his prices go up. :)

However, I agree with you on the quality of his work. My O'Brien is an outstanding whistle in every regard.

David O'Brien is a name I think we'll be hearing more about.

--James
Ditto.

And the tweed cases are beautiful as well. Especially if you have the unplated copper whistles as they really go well together.

?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

hehe. :party:
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

Willima, could you please tell me what you ordered?
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: O'Brien Whistle, A masterpiece for serious players...

Post by Loren »

Willima T Anderson wrote:David,

Unfathonable! This set is more than I could every have hoped for from a tin whistle. "Perfect" is the only way to describe the all around artistry. Tone and pitch, weight and feel, breath and reaction all perfect. I am your biggest fan now David and I will be shouting it from the rooftops. As a recording artist and professional praise and worship leader I feel this whistle set is must have for any who wish to master this amazing ancient instrument. My only prayer now is for more hours in the day to enjoy these masterpieces. You must raise your prices to reflect what your work represents.

William T. Anderson
Salvation Army
William, I am just curious, so that we have some frame of reference with which to view your comments in: What other makes/models of whistles have you owned?

Loren
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Jessie reviewed an earlier model of David O'Brien's a while back.

Here's a link to that review:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ght=obrien

She compared the whistle to her favorite Abell.

Just thought this would be a good place to throw that in.

--James
Willima T Anderson

Post by Willima T Anderson »

To all,

Thank you for your replies on this subject/thread I am blessed that you offer to participate in my musical delight...

I purchased the nickel plated, copper fippled models with a 1/16 wind opening on the mouthpiece.
As a student of music I take great pains to not just "play" an instrument but to "experience" it and in this expierence I must know all that there is to know on not only the history but also the different makes/styles of the instrument; the penny/tin whistle is a part of me even as my guitar, mandolin, harmonica, bass, drums and vocal mikes are as they are extentions and expressions of me.
I personally own models from Walton, Shaw, Alba, Overton, Chieftain, and O'Brien. O'Brien whistles, I can see has been progressing and improving over the years as I have read as much as possible on this artist and his history. Without question David O'Brien is reaching his zenith; his time to take his place among the best is on soon approach or if I dare to be so bold, is now at hand...

William T. Anderson
Last edited by Willima T Anderson on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kansas

O'Brien Whistles

Post by Kansas »

My O'Brien Whistles share the "favorite" spot with my Busmans. I have the 5 piece set and they stay in my car for that "chance moment" playing opportunity. They are my "go to" whistles for well ....... going.

They will ride with me on my trip to Chicago next week without the slightest cause for concern about weather etc. My wood whistles obviously must be carefully guarded.

David was kind enough to make a special tweed case that fits from my Cheiftain G down to my Generation D. It also holds a Serpent A, a Generation Bb, an Oak and Generation C. What a great case!

He has great talent in so many ways. And is a pleasure to work with!
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

To all,

Thank you for your replies on this subject/thread I am blessed that you offer to participate in my musical delight...

I purchased the nickel plated, copper fippled models with a 1/16 wind opening on the mouthpiece.
As a student of music I take great pains to not just "play" an instrument but to "experience" it and in this expierence I must know all that there is to know on not only the history but also the different makes/styles of the instrument; the penny/tin whistle is a part of me even as my guitar, mandolin, harmonica, bass, drums and vocal mikes are as they are extentions and expressions of me.
I personally own models from Walton, Shaw, Alba and O'Brien. O'Brien whistles, I can see the O'Brian whistle has been progressing and improving over the years as I have read as much as possible on this artist and his history. Without question David O'Brien is reaching his zenith; his time to take his place among the best is on soon approach or if I dare to be so bold, is now at hand...

William T. Anderson
Last edited by William T. Anderson on Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
shadeclan

Post by shadeclan »

I discovered and visited his website (http://www.obrienwhistles.com/). The whistles look beautiful and the sound clips are great. He should change the sound clips for the delrin fipple though - it sounds "muddy" or "plastic" somehow when compared to the other fipples.

Does anybody know if he will make a whistle in the key of "A" on request? I see that it's not a key he normally makes.

Also, in defense of my wallet, I would ask that he keep the prices just where they are - affordable by me! :D
We've got a date with destiny . . . and it looks like she's ordered the lobster!
-Shoveler
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

palmtree
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

Hi Shadeclan

I've got an O'Brien C in unplated copper with the delrin plug and it's certainly not muddy. Totally clear with an absolutely balanced sound all the way up to the top D.

A great whistle.

?
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

William T. Anderson wrote:To all,

I personally own models from Walton, Shaw, Alba and now O'Brien. O'Brien whistles, I can see the O'Brian whistle has been progressing and improving over the years as I have read as much as possible on this artist and his history. Without question David O'Brien is reaching his zenith; his time to take his place among the best is on soon approach or if I dare to be so bold, is now at hand...

William T. Anderson
A very enlightening post William, thank you. Your use of superlatives, is truly staggering.

Loren