Had the greatest time yesterday

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

My daughter is in daycare at a summer program offered through her elementary school, kind of like a day camp. Any way, yesterday when I picked her up she saw some friends playing on the playground and wanted to stay and play awhile, so I said okay and pulled out my whistle sat on the bench and started figuring out The Foggy Dew. I was rather oblivious as I was struggling though figuring out the tune without sheetmusic, a task I set myself to help train my ear. I paused and noticed I was surrounded by kids and their parents. All the kids started shouting and asking what kind of toy was that and asking if they could try it, so I passed it around and let them all have a go at it. When the parents didn't object I had Caitlin run over to the car and get my other whistles and asked the kids if they would like to learn a song, after ten minutes I had a miniature orchestra playing through baa baa black sheep, the kids were delighted that they could "Play music" and the parents were amazed that the same kid who had to be tied to the piano bench for his/her lessons was now begging and pleading to learn another tune. I gave away a few whistles and promised to teach them London Bridge next time and told all the parents where they could get their little darlings whistles locally. It was just so much fun doing it I think I am looking forward to it more than the kids.
And as a bonus my daughter now thinks good old dad is just to cool.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Hey Ron, that's a great experience.
We should change the name "whistle" to "peace pipe" and supply all kids and politicians with them and make each one sit still for lessons. But then that would be compulsory and no fun at all.

And Ron, there are no short cuts from Lyons to Grand Junction (Clifton). If that's where you live I can see the distinct advantage of I-80, expecially when the wind is from behind.
I-80 is only an hour or so from Tom in Lander.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mack.Hoover on 2001-07-31 11:52 ]</font>
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

I live in Thornton Mack, I was asking about Lyons because they are having a celtic Festival there late in Sept. and was wondering if you were close enough to go.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

Aha...maybe so...if it doesn't happen at the same time as ours.
Lori Peters

Post by Lori Peters »

It has never ceased to amaze me how the whistle has that "pied piper" thing going...
I was just at a live action game this last weekend and decided to go by myself up into the woods and play away...

Within minutes I was surrounded by children, laughing and dancing with joy. I was soon yelled at to "come on down" back to the circle (the guitarist picked up the chords), and was engaged in my (what I would call) first session, although it was just me, a guitar and several percussion instruments.

But all in all, it was fun and I can't wait to do it again....I have now realized there is NO WAY I can ever get away with whistling in private :smile:
andy

Post by andy »

Hey Ron, what a great story. Music is so special,sometimes it takes an experience similar to yourself to really be able to sit back and appreciate it. Youre a lucky man..

I teach music 3 days a week to elementary kids, our School Band plays "Titanic". I thought about 3 three weeks ago, to bring in my whistle which i hav'nt ever really bothered to play before.Anyway, i played the Titanic theme and the kids loved it, and so did I, i then got the kids into some Irish dancing, and now after 3 weeks, our school now has a Celtic band. Its as rough as sandpaper but it will get there. So thanks for your post, keep us posted of any more experiences. Im sure im not alone.
Regards Andy