What's your whistle that gets the most session play?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What's your whistle that gets the most session play?

Post by peeplj »

Even though I have a drawer full of various whistles, up until very recently I've pretty much played just the Burkes at session.

I didn't thing anything was likely to change that, but the last couple of sessions I've played my O'Brien. It's hard to choose anything over a Burke, but the O'Brien is just really that good.

And that got me curious: what's your whistle(s) that get the most session play?

In folks I've played with, on the expensive side, I've seen several Burkes, a couple of Copelands, an Abell or two, several O'Riordans, a Sindt, and a couple of Sweets. On the inexpensive side, Oaks seem to dominate for session play; every blue moon someone will show up with a Generation.

I've never actually ran across anyone playing Overtons or Chieftains yet, which is sort of odd, considering how many posts online center around these makes of whistle.

--James
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I bring one of my own, natch. I use a Delrin, 'cause at a session, you never know if it's gonna roll off a table or something... I also bring my Sweet Resonance low D and usually a mandolin.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Hands down, the Abell. After that is the Sweetheart Pro and Gens.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

Bleazey Blkwd HighD and Chieftain OS LowD. Sometimes a tweaked Bb Gen since there's a Bb flute player at the session.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

In pub sessions, always my O'Riordan Traveller D and Water Weasel A, and split between whether I switch bodies on the O'Riordan to get C, use my Water Weasel C, or just muddle through using half-holing on the D. Occasionally my Traveller low D as well.

I don't think I've taken it to a pub yet, but when there are tunes in the house (like last night) I usually also use my Traveller low E.

The last two nights (pub session and house tunes) saw four high D whistles played -- three O'Riordans and a Generation. Dale played a low D whistle as well, I think maybe a Shaw? In general, we also see the occasional Sindt, and there are a couple of people who are primarily string musicians who will sometimes play Burkes.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Sindt (with Feadog body), Feadog Pro, Humphrey narrow bore D. Overton low D.
/Bloomfield
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

For the longest time, it was an Abell. I sold that one to another whistler at session. After that it was a nickel copeland. I sold that recently. These days, I'm splitting my time between a blackwood Thin Weasel and a blackwood Greenwood. The weasel gets a little more play on really loud days, because when the pub is full, I can't hear myself on the greenwood, which makes me blow it harder, which blows me out of tune and squeaks the whistle ;)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I have tried bringing my Busman and Burke and Syn to sessions, but
because I tend to switch between flute and whistle and guitar so much,
I can't seem to keep any of those warm enough to stay consistantly in
tune. So I always end up back with my trusty SweeTone, believe it or
not. It's always in tune when I pick it up, and it fits in nicely.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I primarily use my Susato (small bore) in sessions (and performances as well). I also have a sweet Susato VSB that I use a fair amount and an Oak that I use when I'm not as confident or just want to blend in more.

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Burke DAN. It's just the right volume for my session. I also sometimes play the Rose, which is only slightly louder.

I might, if I feel I could actually play a tune on it, bring my M+E flute to the next session.... god help me.

I would comment on what whistles everyone else at my session plays, but I'm the only whistler I've seen. Everyone else plays fiddle or guitar. And we had a bodhran once. Sad, isn't it?
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Congratulations wrote: I would comment on what whistles everyone else at my session plays, but I'm the only whistler I've seen. Everyone else plays fiddle or guitar. And we had a bodhran once. Sad, isn't it?
I was the only whistler for the longest time at my session...all fiddle, guitar, and bodhran (and one banjo player who also plays fiddle, guitar, and mandolin). We finally had another whistle player show up about a year ago (he plays an Oak btw...though we're trying to get him a whistle with a little more power).

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I currently only own one D whistle (Gasp! ...not sure how that happened) so that's the one I play at session(s). It's a Humphrey brass D (non stealthy version). I do have one of the new Journeyman whistles coming in a few weeks so I'm guessing that will take over as my session whistle (it's supossed to be a bit louder and have a better oxxooo c-nat.).

-Brett
regor

Post by regor »

If I am confident, I play my Busman D+ Delrin or Susato, otherwise, I play my O'Brien which requires less breath control and is much easier in the upper octave, and much more quiet, hence blending in my frequent mistakes... :wink:
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

colomon wrote:I don't think I've taken it to a pub yet, but when there are tunes in the house (like last night) I usually also use my Traveller low E.
Tunes have broken out in our house again as I type this (it's good to have houseguests) and we're now having a Bb session, with the fiddle tuned way down, Dale playing my Bb Water Weasel, and me on the Bb Traveller. Good stuff.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Mainly my Burke, followed by my Oak until it broke. I haven't found an Oak I like as much at that one yet. I'm waiting for a Feadog Pro which will likely see a lot of playhing time.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony