Whistle/recorder hybrid-- any interest?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Whistle/recorder hybrid-- any interest?

Post by brewerpaul »

Although I make whistles, I also play and love the recorder. One thing great about the recorder is it's ability to play chromatically in all keys, albeit with some forked fingerings necessary. Alas, many people don't like the sound or look of a recorder, so I've been toying with the idea of making a recorder-like whistle using my basic D+ whistle design. I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking that with the addition of a thumbhole and some tinkering with the size and placement of the fingerholes, it should be possible to make something sort of like a chromatic Renaissance recorder with a cylindrical bore that will still look and sound like a whistle. Imagine being able to play tunes in any key necessary at a session without changing instruments. Recorder players who want to try whistle might like it too.
Do you think there might be any interest in a hybrid like this?
I don't really have a great idea where to start in my experimentation either. I've written to one well respected recorder and whistle maker who offers a copy of a very old recorder of the type I'll be trying to simulate so hopefully he can steer me in the right direction.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

Sounds interesting.

Susato make them in C, F, and G but a D would be very useful.
Oreo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Oreo »

Very interesting, Paul!

I think I will want one... someday! Put me on the list of recorder/whistle players who would like to try what you produce.

Consider Adri's Dream Flute by Mollenhaur. It is basically a cross between a Renaissance recorder (straight cyllindrical bore) and a Baroque recorder. They still manage to have the full 2 octave plus one note range, while most Renaissance recorders only play an octave and a sixth. Lovely bold rather-whistle-like tone.

Then consider that Susato makes a Renaissance recorder which is nothing but their whistle fitted with a couple of extra holes.
I like Adri's Dream Flute better.

Oreo Phil
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Sounds pretty cool, I just don't know if I can deal with it. I think something like Gary Humphrey and Skip Healy do with 10 Hole instruments might be more appealing to me.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

This may be the incentive I've been looking for to buy a plastic Adri for research purposes.
Got wood?
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Is the "well-respected recorder and whistle maker" by any chance Mr. Bleazey? What about Mr. Grinter? :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have played such a thing before.

I liked it; other folks seemed to not care for it.

Every maker is different, though; I'd be interested to see what design you came up with, and how much of the whistle fingerings you could keep.

--James
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Congratulations wrote:Is the "well-respected recorder and whistle maker" by any chance Mr. Bleazey? What about Mr. Grinter? :)
Yes, Phil is a really great guy and has already responded with some useful information.
I bought some PVC this afternoon to tinker around with-- much less labor to create something that may or may not work at all!
Got wood?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I can't really imagine to play session tunes with a recorder. The fingering is too "forked" to crisp ornamentation, I think -- but might be and interesting experiment.
walrii

Post by walrii »

I'd be interested to see what you come up with. I switch between the recorder and the whistle. The fingerings are just similar enough that it causes problems when switching from one to the other. A recorder-fingered whistle would be neat.

Gabriel, early recorder music has even more convoluted embellishments that the whistle. You practice a lot and use alternate fingerings for some notes when the tangle of fingers gets too complex.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

I went with the D whistle because the fingerings are very close to my German fingered C recorder. I also do play baroque in both C and F so I'd be open to try one fingered either straight or forked. hhuumm, a brass recorder..sounds intriguing.
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

hey: i'd consider it if you made one left-handed. is there such a thing as a left-handed recorder? curses for learning how to play backwards especially since i'm right handed to start with.

and please folks, i will not, will not, will not, learn how to play right handed, but thanks for not asking.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
brianholton

Post by brianholton »

I have the Silkstone D plus, which is cylindrical, and I find that cross-fingerings do well on accidentals in the lower octave - you can just about play a Cnat scale, but the intonation isn't accurate enough for it to be serious. As flute players will know, forked fingerings in the upper octaveoften lead to 3rd octave squeaks.

so it's not chromatic in the sense that you can play in all the keys, but you can get a lot of the flats & sharps.

is this because the whistle is tuned in just temperament rather than equal temperament? (like bagpipe chanters are?)

b
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Oreo wrote:Then consider that Susato makes a Renaissance recorder which is nothing but their whistle fitted with a couple of extra holes.
I bet someone's complained that the Susato Recorder sounds too
much like a whistle...
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

fearfaoin wrote:
Oreo wrote:Then consider that Susato makes a Renaissance recorder which is nothing but their whistle fitted with a couple of extra holes.
I bet someone's complained that the Susato Recorder sounds too
much like a whistle...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :P :twisted: