Teachers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
SBS144
antispam: No

Teachers

Post by SBS144 »

How many of you on this board teach the whistle? Or any other musical instrument (and what?) Other than playing, how much experience is actually here?
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

don't teach whistle, do teach mountain dulcimer.......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
eedbjp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

I'm a third grade teacher. I bought a Meg for each kid in my class and it's going pretty well. The music teacher is helping too. It's a lot easier than teaching those plastic recorders, because they get instant satisfaction.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I am a 37-year educational vet. I have informally (no $ changes hands) taught hammer dulcimer and whistle to a lot of kids...It has been fun. Over the years, I ended up playing music, professionally, with four of my former students...

Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

I teach middle school & I also have a couple of whistle students (adults).

Why do you ask?

J.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I would be pleased to trade lessons in Sanskrit, Hindi and/or Urdu--like for like, hour for hour--for instruction on the concertina. What are the odds of that happening?

Tom D.
tim-hart

Post by tim-hart »

I teach individual students and groups in workshops. Always a fun time... :)
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I used to teach guitar when I was a graduate student but don't have the time now I teach full time at university, but not in music.

As Justine said, why do you ask? Teaching is just one kind of experience that exhibits knowledge. But most musicians I know do as little teaching as they can afford to unless teaching is their specific vocation. Likewise academics; we're mainly in it to research and write and although we recognise the importance of passing on the knowledge, must of us really don't like the drudgery. That said, teaching advanced and/or highly gifted students is great, but it happens rarely unless you can really pick and choose.
SBS144

Post by SBS144 »

I ask, not to offend anyone who does not teach, but, because I am curious as to what level some on this board use their knowledge. It's obvious what kind of dedication people have to their passion for the whistle. I learn from what topics are covered, and by the responses by everyone on topic. Many people have a different approach to solving a problem. I am wondering how many speak simply from experience, trial and error, or by vocation, or a combination. I do piano research on a piano forum that includes a section just for teachers. That can be very enlightening at times. Does that help in answering the "why"? It wasn't intended to demean anyone, or to put more emphasis on those who are actually musical teachers. I hope it wasn't read that way.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Teaching myself? :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
ConnieS

Post by ConnieS »

I, too, teach whistles instead of recorders to 3rd through 6th graders (8 to 12 year olds.) Been whistling for a number of years, although I only discovered the whistle community online in the last year or so. So my expertise has increased over the last year more than it had in the previous seventeen years.

Teachers aren't always experts, although the things you teach you end up learning better.

I also teach guitar. And music theory.

In the classroom I use whistles to teach students how to read music. In private lessons I try to teach whistle more as what it is--a folk instrument of great beauty and expressiveness.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I teach whistle classes at a summer fiddle camp for kids. And I do occasional lessons for friends or acquaintances who want to learn.

And I used to be a music education major! Now I teach for a living, but not music. I'm glad I made the switch. I see my music education colleagues going through the "daily grind" paperwork, the classroom management issues, and all those other things that accompany a Job, and sometimes they lose the joy of the music.

Jennie
Jim Wright

Post by Jim Wright »

ConnieS wrote: Teachers aren't always experts, although the things you teach you end up learning better.
This sure is the truth ... there is a man that I know that easily qualifies as an expert on the whistle but has no idea how to pass the information on. He says he would like to but when he plays .. he just plays and what comes out often surprises him as much as those listening.... but it is great music. Give me someone who plays ... but can show me how to play what I am having trouble with and I will learn it... sooner or later! :D

Jim
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

I teach a little whistle to a group class from the local chapter of the IACI (Irish American Cultural Institute). It's a lot of fun, but it was difficult at first since what I do is intuitive and trying to break it down into HOW to do it wasn't that easy.

Most of my teaching, however, has been in music theory, aural skills, and music history courses. Currently I'm teaching a class in American Music at a local university. Hopefully sometime I'll find that full time theory teaching position!

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
daiv

Post by daiv »

Tom Dowling wrote:I would be pleased to trade lessons in Sanskrit, Hindi and/or Urdu--like for like, hour for hour--for instruction on the concertina. What are the odds of that happening?

Tom D.
does that mean you want to teach concertina, or the languages?