Quack?!!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WhistlingSouthpaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by WhistlingSouthpaw »

I have a question. Why, in the "Braveheart" picture under the Department of Communication on the main page, is Mel Gibson/Sir William Wallace embracing a giant duckling?
If you don't believe me take a good look at the upper left corner of the picture.
I demand some explanation for this rather eccentric behavior.
A Whistling Southpaw (and proud of it!)
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

That's not a duck - that's an ostrich. Ostriches were at one time indigenous to Australia - didn't you know???

Susan
garycrosby

Post by garycrosby »

The Ostrich is native to Africa NOT Australia. However, a couple of big, nasty, flightless birds, the Emu and the Cassowary, are native to Australia.

[Edited to correct a caffeine-induced typo]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: garycrosby on 2002-04-11 18:48 ]</font>
Isilwen

Post by Isilwen »

I thought he was embracing a woman...

I guess I'll have to take another look.
Light spills into the hidden valley,
Illuminating the falls, paths, and
The breathtaking Elvish dwelling
Set back among great trees.
Lilting strains of Elven songs fill my heart;
I am finally home.
~Isilwen Elanessë
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Yes, it is an embrace (and yes, I know ostriches are not indigenous to Australia - it was a joke) :smile: But I could see the critter Lefty was talking about and looking at it with my eyes crossed, it DID look like an ostrich!

Susan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: susnfx on 2002-04-11 19:36 ]</font>
WhistlingSouthpaw

Post by WhistlingSouthpaw »

I think it's like one of those inkblot tests. Only those who are mentally sound can see the duckling. I don't know, ask Dr. Pudsy.
A Whistling Southpaw (and proud of it!)
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Maybe everyone can see the duckling and only those who are secure in themselves can admit it :wink: We'd better get Dr. Dale in here too.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

It sure looks like a duckling/ostrich to me...
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

That looks like more than an embrace to me. I think that emu's tongue is halfway down Mel's throat. I'm thinking about calling in P.E.T.A.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

<font size=+4>AFLAC!</font>
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Mastersound

Post by Mastersound »

After WWI the Australian Light Horse changed its uniform and didn't have the ostrich feather, so there was no market for ostrich feathers and the birds were let loose. There are still quite a few north of Port Augusta and I believe in western NSW. Every now and then someone gets the bright idea of raising them for meat or skin but it never amounts to much. It would be like eating a cross between Big Bird and Tatiana Gregorieva (sp). Thanks to our ancestors we have donkeys, horses, camels, goats, ostriches, mice, rats, foxes and rabbits wandering about, along with a heap of nondescript and sh*t introduced smaller European birds. It makes it bloody hard for the roos and crocs to wander about the suburbs!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mastersound on 2002-04-13 05:44 ]</font>