The stretch of a Low Low A

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Celtic983
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

The stretch of a Low Low A

Post by Celtic983 »

Last night at our session we had a newcomer come. He just happened to bring along an array of Low whistles. The lowest whistle he had was an Overton Bb. Now, I have really small hands, but I was able to manage this whistle. My question : How much more of a stretch in Overtons low low A? Is there any other maker besides overton, that goes that low?
Thanks
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

Just curious....what was the breath requirement on that low Bb? Could you play a dance tune?

Curious Cat
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Overtons in general seem to play slower than say chieftains...even in low d. The breath requirments weren't to bad honestly (seemed very little considering the diameter of the whistle) but for some reason it plays a little slow. The sound though....100% sexy makes a low d sound like nothing
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

If you go to www.tonyhinnigan.com and scroll down on the whistle page to #11, he plays a Kerry pro low A and you are able to watch also.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Tommy wrote:If you go to www.tonyhinnigan.com and scroll down on the whistle page to #11, he plays a Kerry pro low A and you are able to watch also.
Notice that he doesn't use his ring fingers at all!
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Tommy wrote:If you go to www.tonyhinnigan.com and scroll down on the whistle page to #11, he plays a Kerry pro low A and you are able to watch also.
In this picture (sorry Tommy :lol: ) you get a pretty good idea of the size differences in the different Overtons. Bass A on the left next to Tenor C and then Tenor D.

I have not tried to play it fast because I do not play fast typically. It sure does make my Low C and D easier to play though.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Only thing is....the next longest one is a c right? Not a Bb

Benjamin Franklin
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

:cry: :cry: Well after I replenish funds in my pay pal, could I rent that A.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Celtic983 wrote:Only thing is....the next longest one is a c right? Not a Bb

I belive I read in another thread that he has one coming from Colin
Goldie? That should make the whole set? :cry: :( Sometimes there are not enough faces for saying everything here . There is not a smiley face with green eyes of envy? :wink:
Last edited by Tommy on Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Too cool. It did give me some idea of the spacing........I WANT ....No I am begaining to convince myself that I NEED one :)

Benjamin Franklin
Talbert St. Claire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

hole spacing.....

Post by Talbert St. Claire »

Things to consider when playing these larger whistles:

1- Try to avoid using your finger tips if all possible. Some whistles you can get away with playing with the finger tips. Many are very talented in this. But, consider that these bass whistles also have much much "larger" hole sizes/hole spacing/bigger sound. Challenging to say the least.

2- There is an aweful lot of flexibility that comes from appying the, "Pipers Grip". Some players use the very "tips" of there fingers on the bass whistle, and then some like myself tend to use the very "middle pads" of the fingers(personal choice). At any rate, they are cool whistles to have around! They are not used much in "TRAD" (used mostly in solo's & harmonies w/ other whistles) but tend to find there way into other musical styles.

--Talbert St. Claire
If you discover you have a "perfect" Low Whistle, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If it's close to perfection, don't sell it. Trust me, I know! If you feel that it's difficult to adjust to but you still feel a deep connection to it, don't sell it. Just give it to me!!!
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Yeah, I would definately be using the bass a for harmony

Benjamin Franklin
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Tyghress wrote:Just curious....what was the breath requirement on that low Bb? Could you play a dance tune?

Curious Cat
That is a fair Question. I am a reative newbie with low whistles. My first was a Howard about a year ago and the first week I squeeked and squaked it till I put some corn Huskers lotion on my hands and the softer skin sealed the holes better. I got up to playing fast tunes with it and developing a lite touch to cover the holes. The death grip will not seal the holes any better than a well placed lite touch. I found that putting the thumbs in the same place all the time gave the fingers a refferance point of where there were at. I then tried an Overton and my wife liked so now I can play in the house when it gets cold in the garage. I play whistle and she sings in our church praise band, and the vocals like low whistles better. So now to play in all the keys they sing in I have the Overton low d for six months, Chieftain Low C one month, and the Overton Low bass Bb less than twenty four hours. I watched Matt play it last night at the first session I have been to, and the tune did move like a dance tune.
his hands are smaller than mine but he had no problem. I have been playing the Bb and tried The Balldesmond polka 1 from the Mel Bay Irlands best tin whistle tunes volume 1. In answer to your question the Overton Bb can play it and all that a person wants to but it must be done with diaphragm breathing. Not any of that shallow stuff from the top of the lungs. However they seem to be more suited for music other than faster tunes. I have played my Overton Low D solo and it filled the church without a mic.
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Tommy wrote:
Tyghress wrote:Just curious....what was the breath requirement on that low Bb? Could you play a dance tune?

Curious Cat
In answer to your question the Overton Bb can play it and all that a person wants to
You are right, they can be played fairly fast . I had to concentrate a little more than I am used to (but keep in mind it was the first time I had played the Bb) I didn't have to concentrate nearly as much when I played his Chieftain C but then I am used to my chieftain Low D. Still though....It didn't feel that the Bb took any noticibly more air than my low d.

Benjamin Franklin
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Tommy wrote:and the Overton Low bass Bb less than twenty four hours.
OH! So it was YOU! :o You little Bass Bb theif! :swear:
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus