Chiff?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Black Mage
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Chiff?

Post by Black Mage »

Here's another one of those jargon questions. What exactly is "chiff"? I've heard people review whistles saying that they have "a little chiff."
"Playing the whistle is nothing impressive. All one has to do is cover the right holes at the right time, and the instrument plays itself."
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Chiff seems to have two (or maybe even more) working definitions.

The one I think is most accurate is that chiff is the lovely little "popping" (nonmusical) sound that introduces itself between notes on the whistle as you change notes. This sound is one thing that many whistle players love about inexpensive whistles. It adds a great deal of lift and elegance to the sound of the whistle.

The other way of thinking is that chiff is all the nonmusical sounds a whistle makes. Folks who think of it this way will refer to a pure-toned whistle as having little or no chiff, and a whistle with a lot of nonmusical content in the sound (say, for instance, Generation, or Feadog) as having a great deal of chiff.

--James
John F.

Post by John F. »

Well, the experts will chime in with better than this, but as I understand it, "chiff" can be described as the background hissing noise that can be heard when a flute or whistle player articulates a note or phrase. It imparts a certain roughness or earthyness to the sound.

Although eshewed in classical music, where clean, clear notes are desired, "chiff" is considered a desirable thing in Traditional music. I don't know why, tho...perhaps having to do with Traditional music being the music of woodshed trained and pub lovin' musicians of the working class. Most are not technical "experts" and they all play from the heart. What you hear is what you get, warts and all. :) Therefore, part of the desirability of a given flute or whistle is rated on the "chiff" that a player can add.....er, I think.... :oops:
Welcome to Uncle John's "Home for Unwanted and Misfit Flutes and Whistles".
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

The term chiff is frequently misused. It's actually a pipe organ term, and it means the popping sound before the note establishes its tone. Airiness or other sounds heard once a note has established itself is not chiff.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Tintin wrote:The term chiff is frequently misused. It's actually a pipe organ term, and it means the popping sound before the note establishes its tone. Airiness or other sounds heard once a note has established itself is not chiff.
This is true. I wonder, though, about a better word than "popping." Discuss.

Post by Guest »

We should discuss how to pop because I'm bad at that :(
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

So how could a whistler make it pop and leave off the raspy, rattles, squeks, ect...?
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

DaleWisely wrote:This is true. I wonder, though, about a better word than "popping." Discuss.
You could call it "a large percentage of high-frequency components
during the attack of each note". But "popping" is shorter.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

I wonder, though, about a better word than "popping."
Yeah, popping isn't a good word. Really, chiff is an onomotopoeia...the sound chiff makes is chiff. (And this only makes sense if chiff is understood--according to its correct meaning--to be the sound before the note.)
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Tintin wrote:The term chiff is frequently misused. It's actually a pipe organ term, and it means the popping sound before the note establishes its tone. Airiness or other sounds heard once a note has established itself is not chiff.
I used be steadfastly in this camp.

I've since changed my mind. Why? The tinwhistle is not a pipe organ...and often when terms flow between genres, they tend to change in meaning to fit the genre where they are used. Also, English isn't a dead language..it grows. new words are added tot he dictionaries every year...based upon usage.

And since so many people want to use chiff to describe the airiness in a whistle's sound (including the Clarke Tinwhistle manufacturers), I've come to just accept that's what some people mean by the term. I try to differentiate between the two when doing a review. Granted, it'd be more convenient if there were two totally different terms in common usage..but there you are.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Wanderer wrote:Granted, it'd be more convenient if there were two totally different terms in common usage..but there you are.
And so it is that I decree:

"Chiff" = n. start-of-note chiff
and
"Turkey" = n. airiness or complexity of sound, previously (and erroneously) known as "chiff"

I think that settles it. :wink:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

The term in my acoustics book is 'onset transients', but I like 'chiff' better. As for distortion, I just call high freq distortion 'fuzz' and low freq distortion 'grunge'. Oversimplification is an art unto itself.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Congratulations wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Granted, it'd be more convenient if there were two totally different terms in common usage..but there you are.

and
"Turkey" = n. airiness or complexity of sound, previously (and erroneously) known as "chiff"

I think that settles it. :wink:
I figured some smart alec would say something like this...which is why I said "in common usage" :) But if enough people call note-chiff "turkey" i'll buy it ;)
HeronMark

Post by HeronMark »

and

I think that settles it. wink
so, therefore Dale should rename the site "Chiff and Fipple with Turkey"
Psalms 150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance; Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes! --Even Fipple Flutes
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Chiff is a sound, that depends on the context of the sentence it is being used in.