Alternative to D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Which key for alternative to D?

A
30%
G
24%
other
46%

Total votes: 37

S.B.O'Gill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Alternative to D

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

Which key for an alternative to D?
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

SB .... I like C and A about equal to D. Depends on the sound you want and how low you want to go. Maybe you can make one head piece and an A and a G tube to fit? :)

Good luck!

Judy
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

I was sure it was gonna be A, so that's what I got first, but it turns out I like G better.

All my rationalizations about my doing a lot of singing in A turned out to be irrelevant, because I can't play and sing at the same time. :sniffle:
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
scheky

Post by scheky »

I've never personally liked G whistles all that much, even though I have a nice Water Weasel in Low G. I have a low A that goes with it and I like that one a good bit more. I think my hands are too big to actually try a high-pitched whistle in either key (and my poor dog...).

Of course, now that you have a nice start on a D, you could always try an Eb whistle. That little bit more brightness can be an amazing thing.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

A as the key of A is more common than the key of C (2ndary on a G whistle).
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Lately I have really enjoyed my Eb, Bb and F whistles. Of course not session whistles, but nice none the less.
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

For additional keys I added whistles in the following order to my
D (plays in D,G, Bm,Em) both high and low.

C (plays in C, F, Am, Dm) These are common keys for folks songs.
Low F (plays in F, Bb, Dm, Gm)
Low G (plays in G, C, Em, Am)
Low A (plays in A, D, F#m, Bm)
Bb (playse in Bb, Eb, Gm, Cm)

Finally Low E (playse in E, A, C#m, F#m)

It depends more on the keys you need to accompany folks and the genre your playing. If you're looking to play along with singers, the D/C/Bb set gives you a range to (D,C,Bb,G,F,Eb) that enables you to adjust up or down to suite the comfort range of your singer.

Of course this is all rationalization for WhOA. In Irish sessions I rarely see whistles in keys other than D (high or low).

In the past year I've seen folks play C a dozen times, a Bb 3-4 times, and F maybe twice. These were ususally airs.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Hmmm.... for session playing, I actually find my A more useful than my C. It seems like no one around here ever plays Dm tunes other than "The Broken Pledge", so my C whistle doesn't get much use; on the other than, there are some very nice D tunes that can really use the extra range of the A, like "Bea Maye's".

Though I haven't really used it in sessions much yet, I'm starting to think my low E might be as useful as either the C or the A. Certainly there are usually a couple of A major or E major tunes played routinely at local sessions, for which the E whistle would be ideal. Also very handy for French Canadian sessions, I'd imagine.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

I usually play high D whistles.

Ocassionally I play the Bb whistle...

but (IMHO) the best substitution for D, if not better, is the C whistle

:thumbsup:
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

...I suppose I should clarify...

I'm considering solo playing only.

BTW where does all that A whistle stuff come from...I suppose fiddlers?
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

Pete D wrote:...I suppose I should clarify...

I'm considering solo playing only.
Then it may be more a question of maker and model than of key. I find the Hoover low G, Overton low F, and Burke C (brass wide-bore) each great in its own way.

You'll just have to resign yourself to getting one of everything, and realize that the order in which you get them is probably not all that important.
BTW where does all that A whistle stuff come from...I suppose fiddlers?
A mixolydian? In that case, it's probably common because it uses the same scale notes as D major, B aeolian, and E dorian. I'm not familiar enough with ITM to have run into anything else in A. I think there are some A aeolian tunes out there, but I don't think I've seen any so far. (Of course, I'm still a beginner in ITM. I don't listen to enough of it.)
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe
lochin

Post by lochin »

I've just made myself an A+ whistle (i.e. an A with an extra G natural at the bottom). It means I can now play (try) lots of GHB tunes that sound to shrill on a high D. I'm not ready for a low D yet, but I can manage a piper's grip on the A+, so it might make a good start before I try a true low whistle.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Pete D wrote:BTW where does all that A whistle stuff come from...I suppose fiddlers?
Well, a lot of us think Bb and A are great keys for whistles -- they're not so terribly high as a D whistle, but a good Bb is just about as responsive as a good D, so you can still play the heck out of it. They're just plain fun to play.

Bb is pretty useless for playing at session, but A is, if anything, a better fit for the musical range of the fiddle than the D is. Basically you give up a couple of notes at the top of the fiddle's common range -- notes they have to go out of first position to play -- in exchange for three nice solid notes down on the G string. It's less useful in terms of key, because a LOT of Irish tunes have C-naturals. But for those tunes in D, the A whistle can be a very nice choice.

You might think the low G whistle would be a good choice for exactly the same reason (flip-flopped) -- you get the full bottom range of the fiddle, plus C-naturals. But for some reason it doesn't seem to me to be as useful in practice -- I only know of two G tunes I like that would really benefit from the extra bottom range, and both of them I'd rather just bump the low parts up an octave and play them on D whistle.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Jetboy

Post by Jetboy »

G. Without doubt. I made myself a G recently 'cuz I had some tube left over that was too short for a Low D and too big a bore for an F. I love it!
www.westonwhistles.co.uk

I am in a World of my own. But I am happy here, everyone knows me!
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Eb is bright and happy sounding to me. Bb sounds solemn.