Silly questions (blush)...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
S.B.O'Gill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Silly questions (blush)...

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

Hi. I guess this is a silly questions, but it just occured to me to ask it on the forum and see how you other guys deal with it.

How do you guys hang on to your whistles when playing C#? Hah hah hah!! I try to "bite down" on my whistle with my lips, but I must confess that I sometimes lose my whistle or fumble with it right in the middle of a piece! I guess alternatively, one could grip on to it between finger hole--but I would be worried about restricting air and making a note go flat.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Right hand pinky.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

colomon wrote:Right hand pinky.
I do this as well, but some people keep their right-hand ring finger down.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I am a pinkie guy myself, but putting the right hand ring finger down does not alter the pitch.
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

I shudder at the thought of biting onto a fipple (that isn't to say, I haven't done it before...I'm so ashamed.) The RHP is primarily what I use, but on occasion, I will use a few more fingers to get more stabilization. Most of the times however, I use OXOXXX, instead of half-holing.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I always keep my right pinky down to stabilize the whistle---I always feel I need it there. Some people have said that this limits the freedom of movement of your fingers. That didn't seem to be a problem as far as I could tell, but I haven't gotten that far on the whistle. I wouldn't hold it between my lips or teeth. You could accidentally make funny sounds. I've never heard that being recommended.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Pete D

Post by Pete D »

Initial answer..."it just happens."

Upon more thought..."bottom hand fingers. Sometimes just pinky, and perhaps, sometimes, all three fingers, but ten again I divert to my original response...'It just happens.'"
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Cynth wrote:I always keep my right pinky down to stabilize the whistle---I always feel I need it there. Some people have said that this limits the freedom of movement of your fingers. That didn't seem to be a problem as far as I could tell, but I haven't gotten that far on the whistle.
I must admit that I find rolls/taps on E very hard to do with my pinkie down. I keep it down most of the time, but if I have to do that kind of intense right-hand-ring-finger work, it comes up automatically. I'm sure it looks a little funny.

As I recall, though, I've seen Kevin Crawford do something very similar when he plays whistle. For a closer look, there's a nice clip of him playing (a susato!) in the "Pro-files" section of Phil Hardy's website.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Congrats, I remember reading in my Grey Larson book that you have to lift your pinky for doing a tap on E. You can't lift your ring finger high enough otherwise---well, obviously you know that. But it doesn't look strange I'm sure. Everyone must do it that way. That muffin looks mighty tasty! :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
S.B.O'Gill

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

I shudder at the thought of biting onto a fipple
Well, I sort of "bite" down with my lips--not my teeth...
I will use a few more fingers to get more stabilization. Most of the times however, I use OXOXXX, instead of half-holing.
I was talking specifically of Csharp on a D whistle which is all hole open.
greg

flying whistle

Post by greg »

i tried and tried the rhp method but it screws up my coordintion so for c#i just cover the bottom hole or all three bottom holes if i'm heading that direction
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

ooo oox is my usual
ooo xxx sometimes when i'm coming from or going to a D
ooo xxo sometimes when i'm coming from or going to an E
ooo xoo sometimes when i'm coming from or going to an F
ooo ooo holding with lips occasionally.

Basically whatever works easiest for any given passage.

I never use my fourth fingers at all as i just feel it adds extra confusion to the mix. 6 fingers is enough to worry about at this speed. :D
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I hold the whistle more or less horizontal when playing a tune that will require C sharps. I don't think I keep the right hand pinky down very much at all.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

It's funny: My first response to this question was--what's all the fuss about? My thinking was that the whistle just stays balanced on my thumbs. So, I picked up a whistle and just discovered that I use my pinky. I had no idea.

Ah, you know, I'm learning so much about myself.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Right hand pinky, both thumbs, and the lips themselves give the whistle four points of contact.

It's quite stable--as long as the whistle isn't slippery!

--James