Why are Some Makers Not Mentioned

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Why are Some Makers Not Mentioned

Post by PhilO »

When Jessie commented on Wanderer's latest review, it struck a chord (ok, just a note) with me regarding some makers we just don't hear about anymore on the Board. I'm not quite sure why that's so. For example, when I went to check out my Tully, next to it is the most beautiful whistle in my collection. It's a Parkhurst - all copper with a wood fipple plug. Now Dave made a D a long time ago with my initials and some musical notes etched in the head piece. For some reason (probably his generosity), more recently but some time ago, Dave just sent me a matching C body bearing my entire first name, some notes and celtic designs. I generally leave the C tube in and polished the whole thing down a while ago. It's stunning. As a bonus, it plays beautifully as well.

This is a whistle I will never sell or trade - not that anyone would want one with my name and initials all over it. The cost of Dave's whistles were always what I considered one of the better bargains in whistledom, and I believe Dale still refers to them as the "eye candy" of whistles on the site.

Is it that people don't generally like all copper whistles or what? Or maybe they're popular, everyone already has one, and they're just not discussed?

Silkstone was also oft discussed a while back, but seemingly no more. Paul makes several lines of really fine whistles, including some pretty innovative stuff (double o-ring slides, e.g.) back when.

As I write, I'm thinking maybe this doesn't really matter, but I'm curious and it just struck me. Maybe it's more that we really do tend to play mostly the most recent acquisitions and it's like a great discovery when we discover all over again the older treasures.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Dale
The Landlord

Re: Why are Some Makers Not Mentioned

Post by Dale »

PhilO wrote:When Jessie commented on Wanderer's latest review, it struck a chord (ok, just a note) with me regarding some makers we just don't hear about anymore on the Board. I'm not quite sure why that's so. For example, when I went to check out my Tully, next to it is the most beautiful whistle in my collection. It's a Parkhurst - all copper with a wood fipple plug. Now Dave made a D a long time ago with my initials and some musical notes etched in the head piece. For some reason (probably his generosity), more recently but some time ago, Dave just sent me a matching C body bearing my entire first name, some notes and celtic designs. I generally leave the C tube in and polished the whole thing down a while ago. It's stunning. As a bonus, it plays beautifully as well.

This is a whistle I will never sell or trade - not that anyone would want one with my name and initials all over it. The cost of Dave's whistles were always what I considered one of the better bargains in whistledom, and I believe Dale still refers to them as the "eye candy" of whistles on the site.

Is it that people don't generally like all copper whistles or what? Or maybe they're popular, everyone already has one, and they're just not discussed?

Silkstone was also oft discussed a while back, but seemingly no more. Paul makes several lines of really fine whistles, including some pretty innovative stuff (double o-ring slides, e.g.) back when.

As I write, I'm thinking maybe this doesn't really matter, but I'm curious and it just struck me. Maybe it's more that we really do tend to play mostly the most recent acquisitions and it's like a great discovery when we discover all over again the older treasures.

Philo
You've raised a good point and I've been thinking about it myself recently. Now the thing about Tully whistles, I think I understand. Erik's wife is on active duty in the Middle East, last I heard, and Erik indicated he was going to have to make parenting a priority for awhile.

Parkhursts: I haven't heard from Dave in awhile. Not sure how many whistles are out there.

Silkstone: Now, this is one that has particularly been on my mind because I know that Paul has developed these a good bit. I'd love to hear from him or from others that have been playing his instruments.

Dale
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Hmmm... from my perspective as an active ITM whistle player but not collector, it doesn't seem that surprising these guys aren't mentioned. As far as I know, no one I see in real life plays any of these brands you mention. (I have a Silkstone C, but I don't like it, and it's basically awaiting the day it finds a home where someone will play it.)

What surprise me is actually kind of the opposite -- there are a number of brands that do get mentioned regularly here that I don't believe I've ever seen anyone play. Syns pop to mind.

Ditto for wooden whistles -- I mean, I've seen plenty of Thin Weasels, but I don't think I've never seen anyone actually play one in a session or concert setting. I've seen maybe two O'Riordan concert Ds, and one kid in the area plays an Abell. That's it.

Don't know what this all means, really...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

For the most part could it be the makers physical/virtual presense in areas like C&F that keep their names on the radar? :-?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Well, far as I know, I'm a registered Silkstone Pusher :) I've sold Alloy D's to both Glauber and Whitmores and they both seem to like them quite well. I liked them when I had them too. I also liked the PVC D of his I had, but was not so fond of the Bb. If I recall, Jessie has also mentioned that she thought his whistles were really underappreciated here.

Tully and Parkhurst: I think they aren't that prolific, which could either be a supply problem or demand problem. I think a lot of people here just don't have them, so we don't hear about them much.

I've managed to get my hands on a Tully Soliloquy and will be posting a review in 3-4 weeks. I spoke with Erik a bit just before he went on hiatus, and he mentioned that since he already had a two year waiting list, he really didn't have any great drive to "get the word out" so to speak. Regardless of what our community may play "in common", it seems like enough folks are interested in Erik's work to keep him busy.

I've got Dave's whistles "on my radar" so to speak, and have been keeping my eye out for a used one to come available when I've got review money to spend.

As for what people play, in the Houston sessions, I've seen Sindts, Burkes, Abells, and Weasels all played by professional musicians (like EJ Jones of Clandestine/The Rogues, Larry Mallette who I believe sometimes posts on the flute board, Turlach Boylan--whom Dale has interviewed before). On the other hand, I've personally never seen anyone playing an Overton other than Lee Marsh, but I don't kid myself into the belief that they're not popular. But when you have maybe half-a-dozen folks who may (or may not) pull out a whistle at any given time, and something like 50 makers out there, you're going to have some statistical weirdness ;) Same thing here on the board, where we have probably a couple hundred active posters, or less. there's just not enough of us to smooth out the statistical averages.
Last edited by Wanderer on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Congratulations

Re: Why are Some Makers Not Mentioned

Post by Congratulations »

I think the main reason I haven't bought a Parkhurst is because I've never heard one, or even much about one. I mean, while I'm able to find sound clips and comments on most whistles in production somewhere on the internets, Parkhurst and Tully seem to be exceptions. Or perhaps my searching is inadequate. I also am unsettled by the fact that Mr. Parkhurst's website appears so out-of-date.

On the other hand, the clips Mick Woodruff has on his site of his Silkstone Alloy D are absolutely incredible. Nearly as incredible as the Rose :) .
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Has anybody heard from or about Pat O'Riordan lately. I had his concert set out last week at the session for the first time in a very long time and it was almost like a new whistle to me.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Pat is just fine. He is slowly working his way through his list of orders...
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Recently exchanghed e-mails with Pat and he is as Byll said.

Wanderer - when I saw Cathall McConnell a few years ago, he played through 2 or 3 sets with all Overton whistles (and a flute).

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

MarkB wrote:Has anybody heard from or about Pat O'Riordan lately. I had his concert set out last week at the session for the first time in a very long time and it was almost like a new whistle to me.
In August he told me he was planning on an extended visit with Loretto in early fall.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

You will also notice that Alba Whistles are not as popular as they once were.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Unseen122 wrote:You will also notice that Alba Whistles are not as popular as they once were.
I imagine that's owing to the fact that Stacey's got her own board where her fans like to hang out. It's an..interesting place.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Could be. I am one of the regulars there.
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I think sometimes buzz is created by newbies...they lead each other to buy some instrument by some maker and then all the newbies are talking about it. Eventually, people start to realize that they're not all they're cracked up to be and the buzz dies down. Other times, not enough people are willing to spend the money for an expensive whistle, or a maker will make a few great instruments that get positive reviews and then quality control will slip. Also, if the market is flooded with some make of whistles, they may become to easy to get, and people will lose interest. There are lots of factors.
~JessieD
Darwin

Post by Darwin »

One I read a lot about when I first came to C&F was Elf Song. I haven't seen a word about them in quite a while now.
Mike Wright

"When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place."
 --Goethe