Need suggestions on creative ways to recycle my Meg...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
S.B.O'Gill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Need suggestions on creative ways to recycle my Meg...

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

In another thread I posted my two ideas of ways to recycle my Meg whistle to keep it from being a total waste of money. The best two I could come up with were a paint stirring stick or modifying it into a spoon for a camping mess kit. I would like to hear some other suggestions on things to make my Meg into to save me from having to throw it away.

Any ideas?
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

Just leave it alone and try again in say..............some 2 years? (in the mean time practise a lot on other whistles ofcourse :wink: )
:) Rini
Congratulations

Re: Need suggestions on creative ways to recycle my Meg...

Post by Congratulations »

You could take off the mouthpiece, and then bury the body, with the top sticking out, in a large flower pot. Then, when you water the plant, the water will disperse through the holes. Or something.

My mom used to use something similar for her potted plants.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

You could give it to a child that would love it and learn to play it.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Have you heard any one else play the thing?
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Leave it in your car as an emergency whislte or loaner.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I have my least favorite whistle by the computer so I can just try something out if I see some music, just to get an idea of how it sounds.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

With something flat and strong (I use the side of iron parallel pliers), push the blade down a little. Try to play it again. You might be amazed.
~JessieD
S.B.O'Gill

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

That would take some doing. I live in a small town in western Kentucky where everybody is too enthralled with NASCAR and WWE to care about tinwhistling. I mean seriously, I bet there is not another person in my whole town who even knows that there is such as thing as a tinwhistle.

I would like to hear somebody else play it though!
fluti31415

Post by fluti31415 »

S.B.O'Gill wrote:
That would take some doing. I live in a small town in western Kentucky where everybody is too enthralled with NASCAR and WWE to care about tinwhistling. I mean seriously, I bet there is not another person in my whole town who even knows that there is such as thing as a tinwhistle.

I would like to hear somebody else play it though!
What town do you live in? (I used to live in Danville). Are Lexington, Louisville, or Midway close enough? Here's a list of Kentucky sessions listed in this forum:

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/search.php?mode=results

Good luck!!
Shannon
(aka fluti31415)
S.B.O'Gill

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

What town do you live in? (I used to live in Danville). Are Lexington, Louisville, or Midway close enough? Here's a list of Kentucky sessions listed in this forum:
Louisville is a 3+ hour drive for me and Lexington would be more like 4+. I never heard of Midway, but I just went out on Yahoo Maps and saw where it is located. My guess is that it would be about a 4 hour drive.

I wonder if there is anything in Owensboro, KY or Evansville, IN? Both would be approx. 1 hour drive for me. That's doable. Nashville, TN is about 2+ hours. I bet they would have one there--but with gas being what it is now and what it's going to be after Rita hits, I think that would pose somewhat of a hardship on me.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I know that lonely feeling... keep looking and asking. I bet there's a closet whistle player out there near you, or at least someone else eager to learn along with you.

Meanwhile put your Meg somewhere prominent, like in your kitchen utensil jar, where you'll be reminded of it and guests will see it. It'll make you appear artsy and whimsical at worst; at best it will spark a memory or a desire: "Gee, the lady next door to me plays one of those." or "My grandpa taught me some tunes once, wonder if I can still play them?"

Hope you find your whistle mentor soon! (I'm still hoping for one closer than 300 miles away.) Be hopeful. :)

Jennie
S.B.O'Gill

Post by S.B.O'Gill »

I just thought of a new one:

I could mash the small end flat and bend it over and use it for a back-scratcher! It works pretty well the way it is!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Practice your tweaking skills with that link I told you about on the other thread. Dude, you have so many threads going I don't know which end is up here :lol: . I don't mean that as a criticism! And on one of them you said all the notes sounded sweet and that with that new fingering the Cnat sounded better. You were really happy on that one.

KDMartinky lives in Kentucky somewhere. He is a whistle player and frequent poster. He is starting on Uilleann pipes, so he's posting over there more now. But he seems to live far away from everything so maybe you guys live close to each other. If you do a search for his name you could send him a private message.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

JessieK wrote:With something flat and strong (I use the side of iron parallel pliers), push the blade down a little. Try to play it again. You might be amazed.
Megs are plastic-headed, the same design as the Sweetones.
Might be hard to push the blade down :)