Keith Jarrett...Recorder

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Pete D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Keith Jarrett...Recorder

Post by Pete D »

Any of you whistle, flute or recorder players know of Keith Jarrett? What do you think?

He’s considered to be a virtuoso on piano, soprano sax and recorder. I’m curious to know if anybody else is aware of this individual’s talents. I think he’s absolutely terrific. I highly recommend any and all of his solo albums.
:poke:
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I've been a fan of Keith Jarrett's since about 1978 or so. I have most of his solo CDs, including the mammoth CD box set Sun Bear Concerts. And a have a number of his trio and quartet CDs. I've heard him play sax and I think it is the "Spirits" recording on which he plays some kind of end-blown flute. I wouldn't describe him as a virtuouso on anything you blow into. But, I bow to the buddha nature in his piano playing.
notus

Post by notus »

Back in the 1970s, Jarrett did mostly improv piano. He was known to many as somewhat of a major prima donna. His biggest fans always considered his tantrums to be more justified than not.

Once (at a concert attended by my brother-in-law) when someone in the audience coughed, Jarrett stopped playing, stood up, and soundly cussed out the offender. He threatened to end the concert then pouted a good measure. He finally consented to continue after much begging from the audience.

(I pity the foo' what coughed!)

Although I have always appreciated Jarrett's genius, I prefer my performers with a slight more humility. Hope Jarret found some along the way...
Notus
The South Wind Whistle Manufactory
Home of the South Wind pennywhistle
www.southwindwhistle.com

Working to create and sustain positive energy throughout the universe via the Butterfly Effect.

One whistle, one whistler, one tune at a time...
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

notus wrote:Back in the 1970s, Jarrett did mostly improv piano. He was known to many as somewhat of a major prima donna. His biggest fans always considered his tantrums to be more justified than not.

Once (at a concert attended by my brother-in-law) when someone in the audience coughed, Jarrett stopped playing, stood up, and soundly cussed out the offender. He threatened to end the concert then pouted a good measure. He finally consented to continue after much begging from the audience.

(I pity the foo' what coughed!)

Although I have always appreciated Jarrett's genius, I prefer my performers with a slight more humility. Hope Jarret found some along the way...
He could also be completely obnoxious in interviews. Another version of the cough story is that someone keeps coughing in the audience, or several people cough at various times, and he stopped the concert and asked everyone in the audience to cough and get it out of their systems.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

That's interesting-- the only recorder connection I knew of for Jarrett was as a superb accompanist to the recorder virtuoso Michala Petri. Can you recommend any recordings of him on recorder?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
notus

Post by notus »

DaleWisely wrote:He could also be completely obnoxious in interviews. Another version of the cough story is that someone keeps coughing in the audience, or several people cough at various times, and he stopped the concert and asked everyone in the audience to cough and get it out of their systems.
I'd be willing to wager that "another version" may mean there was more than one instance of this type of "John McEnroe-ish-ness".

Perhaps Jarrett switched to recorder to dampen his aural reception of such rude audience participation such as coughing. :o Or, if he isn't exactly virtuoso material on the recorder (as Dale implies) perhaps he switched instruments in an attempt to exact revenge for past audience injustices :twisted: ...
Notus
The South Wind Whistle Manufactory
Home of the South Wind pennywhistle
www.southwindwhistle.com

Working to create and sustain positive energy throughout the universe via the Butterfly Effect.

One whistle, one whistler, one tune at a time...
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Give a listen to this group. I heard them Monday at the MD Ren Faire. He plays recorder and Shawm.

http://www.ensemblecercamon.com/extraits.html

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
moxy

Post by moxy »

Hi Pete.

I was recently introduced to Keith Jarrett's performances. He is quite amazing. What drew you to him, and what prompted you to post about it on Chiff & Fipple?

A friend of mine had me listen to him, partly as encouragement. I've gone back to playing the piano again, and once in a while I try to do what Jarrett does - but man oh man, not to the same level of competence though, that would take me a few life times I think...

Great to listen to.
chas

Post by chas »

Keith Jarrett and Michaela Petri on the same album? I'll have to give it a listen.

I saw Keith Jarrett live in about 1977 or so. I actually fell asleep. I thought with a band (5-piece, I think, including a good sax player, maybe Wayne Shorter?) his music wouldn't be as boring as his solo music, but I was wrong. (McCoy Tyner in the same venue a year or two earlier, was one of the best shows I ever saw, especially the solo part.)

I do like his baroque playing, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

chas wrote:Keith Jarrett and Michaela Petri on the same album? I'll have to give it a listen.
Oh, absolutely! He plays harpsichord on the one I have (I hope I remember that correctly). I hadn't a clue who he was, I was chasing down recordings of Michaela Petri at the time.

I've said here before that she's an astonishing talent. I turned on Sunday Baroque one morning long before I intended to arise but hearing her play some fussy Bach piece woke me right up. She does things with a recorder I wouldn't have thought physically possible.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

A book I read on jazz said that Keith Jarrett strayed enough from jazz that many jazz snobs--ahem--fans don't consider him a jazz pianist. He went on to say that if jazz isn't big enough to include Keith Jarrett, it's jazz's loss. I'd agree.

I heard that Cat Stevens would pause when people were singing or clapping along, and make them stop. This was before he found inner peace.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
chas

Post by chas »

In addition to Cat Stevens or Keith Jarrett, Christy Moore is notorious for keeping the crowd quiet. I've seen some shows where I wished it was Christy so that some assholes singing, or worse yet, playing spoons, would shut up or be kicked out. Once I saw De Dannan, and this guy in the audience was playing spoons. I asked my buddy about it, and he said that a few years earlier Christy had stopped in the middle of a song and told this very same spoon guy to shut up or leave. Evidently it stuck only for the rest of that show. That was some time ago, but just a few years ago Danielle and I were staying in Lisdoonvarna, and the hostess of the B&B was saying that just a couple of nights earlier she'd seen Christy, and sure enough, he'd stopped during a song and told someone singing along to hush. Evidently his hearing is still pretty damn good.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Funny about that - Jarrett would sing (actually a kind of grunting, like Orca whales getting frisky) while he played. Even on recordings. Really distracting. :tantrum:

(just for Dale) I heard of a whistler who did this. (not really)
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
Richard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Richard »

That's interesting-- the only recorder connection I knew of for Jarrett was as a superb accompanist to the recorder virtuoso Michala Petri. Can you recommend any recordings of him on recorder?
Jarrett plays bass recorder on Survivor's Suite. This is considered one of his greatest recordings, though not for the recorder playing. It is a recording by his 1970's American-based quartet. Highly recommended.

This brings back memories. My friends and I tended to prefer the ensemble recordings because Jarrett's solo concerts back then were excessively pompous. Also, we felt that the best Jarrett albums were those on which he "sings" the least.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Chiffed wrote:Funny about that - Jarrett would sing (actually a kind of grunting, like Orca whales getting frisky) while he played. Even on recordings. Really distracting. :tantrum:

(just for Dale) I heard of a whistler who did this. (not really)
If you've never seen him live, take a look at one of his performance DVDs. His physical behavior in concert is really weird. And, right, he makes this kind of whining noise when he plays. It's sometimes a minor distraction and occasionally I think it spoils a recording. One of the Standards trio cds--I can't listen to because he won't shut up. Interestingly, he NEVER does this when playing classical music.