Burke low D viper ...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
LisaD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burke low D viper ...

Post by LisaD »

... does anyone know when this first came out?

Lisa
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Ask Mike, Lisa. As you are certainly aware, the Burke low D has been through a number of incarnations, even prior to the Viper.

Best to you.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

Will do. But email replies from Mike sometimes take a little while if he is really busy, so if anyone knows offhand ... :)
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi,
Just saw this thread and thought I might as well answer it here in case anyone else wants to know.
I first introduced the Viper low D in 2003. That model featured a rotating bottom joint that Joanie Madden had suggested and the new Viper head.
It had a break down joint below the slide.
Then, in mid 2004, I came out with a newer version that has an O'ring break down joint and a new layout of the toneholes. It also had modifications to the Viper head to increase back pressure and make the whistle more efficient than past models.
Then this Spring, I introduced another updated Viper that had additional improvements in the head to give a bit more back pressure, and an even cleaner upper octave. I also tweaked the tonehole layout. This whistle is not designed to be easy to reach the toneholes, but for playability. It requires piper fingering and is not suitable for people with small hands.
I may never be done with it, as is the case with all my whistles.
I hope this answers the question regarding family of Vipers.
By the way, to answer another FAQ, I called it a Viper because of the shape of the new head. It looks a bit to my fancy like a big snake head, but non poisonous, of course ;)
Well back to the whistle making....
Mike
LisaD

Post by LisaD »

Thanks Mike! :)
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Keep up the good work, Mike! :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato