Low D Heresy

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Low D Heresy

Post by PhilO »

I know that Low Ds are supposed to be the beall of whistles - Overtons, O'Briains, Copelands, Howards, Chieftains, O'Riordans, oh my. Everybody seems to talk about them all the time, who first introduced it, how much like a flute it sounds or not, played at Riverdance, etc., blah blah.

Frankly, that's been about my least favorite key and I've never found anything extraordinarily pleasing about any of them regardless of maker. (Of course it's a wee bit possible that yours truly just can't make them sing.)

I have now Copeland, O'Riordan (Traveler), O'Brain, Kerry, Burke Viper, and have owned in the past Howard, Overton, and one other whose name escapes me (no longer being made, all the rage for a while some time ago - composite or plastic).

I find that the deep tone does not compensate for the relative (to other keys) loss of volume, responsiveness and ease of play. Some say they're great just for airs, but I'd rather play (when alone) a low G, for example.

The Viper comes closest for me in retaining projection, responsiveness and ease of play. Granted some of this may have to do with hole size (old Howard and O'Briain).

Thoughts? How often do you regular whistlers out there actually play low D? Should I just turn myself in to the low D whistle squad and be done with it?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jsluder
antispam: No

Post by jsluder »

I had a Burke Viper for a while. I just couldn't get into the low D sound, so I traded it for a Greenwood high D. Low D ain't for everyone, I guess.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I agree. In that key, I'd rather play a flute - in most situations. The new Sweet Low D, though, is very responsive. It sounds better than many flutes. The resonance of the lowest note is worth the price of admission. But, yes, in general, I don't see what all the hype is about.
~JessieD
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

I don't play 'em 'cause my fingers spread less than anyone I know. I like the sound alone or with minimal accompaniment. From experience I know harp works. Low D is handy when you want to avoid two high whistles competing, which can be a problem especially when out a tune a even a mere tad.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have low D's in Copeland and Kerry Pro and love them both. I always bring one or the other to sessions and switch between low and high D (as well as mandolin and fiddle). Often there are many D whistles at a session and a low whistle really rounds out the sound. I also love playing the low whistle solo. I keep one at home and one at the office so I always have one around.
One terrific thing I've noticed is that if I work on a difficult tune on the low whistle and then switch back to high, I find that I play the tune a LOT better after the practice on the low whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I agree with Whitmores and Paul here..I play low D about 20% of the time or so at session. I've had listeners comment on how it adds to the music, so I have no complaints. Flute may be louder, and you can make more neat sounds with it, but ya know, I just don't play flute ;)

In Houston just as I was leaving a guy would show up on Sundays who only played Low D, and he was pretty darn good at it. It added quite a bit to the music. In fact, he's the one who twigged me to the info that Phil had the New Range of Low D's coming out, since he was playing an early model.
Teri-K

Re: Low D Heresy

Post by Teri-K »

PhilO wrote:I know that Low Ds are supposed to be the beall of whistles - Overtons, O'Briains, Copelands, Howards, Chieftains, O'Riordans, oh my. Everybody seems to talk about them all the time, who first introduced it, how much like a flute it sounds or not, played at Riverdance, etc., blah blah.

Philo
I don't know that they are the "be all" of whistles, Phil. The lows in my music bag have either been sold, or given away. In truth, for me, they were a novelty.

Personally, I would never take one to a session, but that's me. They are pleasant enough, solo, for slow airs, but I don't find they come close to a flute for dance music. IMO, they are amazing when used for jazz and fit the new age genre more than traditional music.

To each their own...
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Low D Heresy

Post by colomon »

PhilO wrote:Thoughts? How often do you regular whistlers out there actually play low D? Should I just turn myself in to the low D whistle squad and be done with it?
Really, if you're looking for responsiveness, you probably shouldn't be playing a low D.

Basically, I only play my (Traveller) low D in situations that require playing a D whistle and seem to call for a low one -- playing an air in church, playing in the session if there are lots of high D whistles there, playing along at a fiddle workshop.

If I'm just playing by myself at home, not trying to play along with anything, I play my Water Weasel Bb or A as often as not.

I do have a Traveller low Eb body, and it's much easier to play than the low D and every bit as good sounding. But usually it just seems like too much work to take it out and put it together --- I normally just grab whatever whistle is handy and play during my workday.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Ok, well I must be the odd man out because the Low Whistle is all I play. I play it with reels, jigs, airs.......I guess I just love the sound.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

There are those of us who, um... don't currently play flute (for multiple reasons) but who like the deeper woodwind sound. I may not fall into your "regular whistler" catagory, paticularly in this case, not owning a low D (yet) but have heard and played some enough to say that a low D is definately on my whistle wish list.

Loss of volume seems irrelevant to me, unless you are playing in or for a group, and as I don't do much of either, the personal preference as to the type of sound as heard by the player is more important here.

But everyones different. :D

:) Sara
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Les Cruttenden

1st whistle a low D.

Post by Les Cruttenden »

when i started learning in november last i bought a low D...couldn't get on with it...then i accumulated about 8 decent high Ds and developed a passion for trad irish....i really only ever use the high Ds now, including for any airs...still got a low D but somehow got hooked on the highs but since i got on so well with the highs i have found the low D easier,much easier to play. Like the sound of the low D though. Les.
emmline

Post by emmline »

I'm in the low D for slow airs camp. But I haven't ever had a flute, (probably will some day,) and may find I agree with Jessie on this one.
I will say, though, that my Overton low D does have a unique tone, and may be just the thing at times.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I love my Howard and find it a nice contrast to the high D when there is more than one whistler at the session. I don't, however, think it the 'beall'... it is just one of many instruments to play.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

The only reason I can think of why anybody would think the low D special is that most Irish music is usually played in D or G and related keys and to play it on low whistle you just use the same fingering you'd use on high D whistle or simple system flute.

Since I use whistle in many different musical contexts, low Eb, F, G and A get just as much use. I'm comfortable enough on all of them to be able to get around tehm quickly and I'm so much better on whistle than flute that the low Ds get plenty of work. Most of my low whistle practice is done on Grinter F and Overton and Copeland G whistles. If I'm playing another whistle for a recording or whatever I'll practice it for a week or two beforehand. I even enjoy playing my Howard low C.
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

I'm another one who's all about the low whistles. But, I don't play IrTrad - mostly P&W at church and solo gigs, along with other instrumental stuff.

I will add that having a low D made exactly for me, for the way I play the whistle, has made for the most responsive low whistle I've ever played. I simply think of what I'd like to do, and it responds perfectly. What is it, I hear you ask? It's my Overton. Colin nailed it when he made my baby, and it's my favorite to play.

I'd say 80% of my playing is on whistles below low A, with a lot of that on low F, Eb, D, C, and bass Bb. The remaining 20% is in the mezzo range - with about 2% on a D. Everybody's world is just a little different, eh wot?
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler