Just Got the New Burke Aluminum Session Black Tip (DASBT)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jeff Stallard

Just Got the New Burke Aluminum Session Black Tip (DASBT)

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Hot damn, that's a nice whistle! I tested it with my tuner, and each hole is spot-on. Also, the 2nd octave D sounds exactly the same whether my top finger is up or down. I've never seen a whistle that could do that. I put my order in on Friday and got it Monday; what more can you ask for? It feels weird to own a top-o-the-line instrument. I've always been sort of cheap with regard to musical instruments; this in uncharted territory for me.
"Reality is the computer hardware, and religions are the operating systems: abstractions that allow us to interact with, and draw meaning from, a reality that would otherwise be incomprehensible."
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Just Got the New Burke Aluminum Session Black Tip (DASBT

Post by Redwolf »

Jeff Stallard wrote:Hot damn, that's a nice whistle! I tested it with my tuner, and each hole is spot-on. Also, the 2nd octave D sounds exactly the same whether my top finger is up or down. I've never seen a whistle that could do that. I put my order in on Friday and got it Monday; what more can you ask for? It feels weird to own a top-o-the-line instrument. I've always been sort of cheap with regard to musical instruments; this in uncharted territory for me.
If the aluminum is as nice as the brass, you're going to grow to love it more the more you play it. I got mine for my birthday last June, and it's a wonderful whistle.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Just Got the New Burke Aluminum Session Black Tip (DASBT

Post by Bloomfield »

Jeff Stallard wrote:... It feels weird to own a top-o-the-line instrument. ...
I think both the O'Riordan/Abell/Grinter crowd and the Generation/Feadog/Oak crowd would doubt that the Burkes are "top of the line." But who cares? Main thing is you like the whistle and you play it a lot. :)
/Bloomfield
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Hey Jeff, compadre! I ordered your whistles brother, the DBSBT in brass (high d) and got it on Monday, after ordering the prior Thursday night (I think). Michael sent it out before even running my credit card, what a guy. Great service, and AWESOME whistle. I think the price point is amazing for the finish and sound quality, but then again, I don't need to tell you that ;)

matt
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by dwinterfield »

I've had a DASBT since last summer. It's been my everyday whistle since it arrived. One of the things I enjoy most about it is that when i miss a note - leaks, incorrect breath etc. - the mistakes sound musical rather than as hisses or squeaks. I suppose this might encourage sloppy playing. I'm curious if other higher end (others can debate top of the line) whistles do this as well.

Enjoy.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

My black tip D brass is, as are all other Burkes I've played, particularly forgiving; however, I don't think this nurtures "sloppy" playing, rather just better playing and practice and confidence that transfers to other whistles as well. Of course, you still have to adapt to idiocyncracies of other whistles, but I don't find that much of a problem. The problem is that I enjoy playing the Burke so much, I don't often reach for other whistles, but for a Sindt C. This has gone way beyond my usual short-term whistle affairs (just whistles dear). I've been locked into this Burke thing for about 6 months now and been Sindting as well for the past month.

As far as "top of the line." allow me to clear up this Bloomin misconception. Top of the line first off refers to best of a single maker's works; the term I believe should have been "high end" whistle. And as Rhett Butler said, frankly my dear, I don't give a d--m! Whether Burke pops his out of a cookie cutter in 10 seconds or sweats over one whistle for a full day? If his end product and materials result in a consistently fun to play, responsive, wonderful sounding in tune whistle that is also durable and attractive, what's the beef?

Also this thing about "they all sound the same" - well that in this case is a good thing. Once you have the sound and playability parameters that you want what does it matter that all the whistles give you that?

The price is also right as it represents good value.

I'm not rushing to sell my O'Riordans, Abells and Copelands, but have no problem noting Burke and Sindt as high-enders among the best.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I agree with Philo, I have two Burkes and they are wonderful, dependable whistles.

As to where they fall in the "heirarchy of whistles," I guess you can put me in the "who cares?" category. They are just great whistles, and that's all I really need to know about them.

Burkes are the only whistles I currently play in session.

--James
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Guess I'm a member of Bloomfield's "O'Riordan/Abell/Grinter crowd". For me, it's not a matter "Burke is great, but I like my O'Riordan better". I'd rather play my O'Riordans, Water Weasels, Susatos, and even my (improved) Generation than any Burke I've ever tried.

But to each their own. Different people have different styles of playing, and so like different whistles. And if nothing else, the legions of Burke fans out there are probably helping to keep the prices of good whistles down....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

colomon wrote:Guess I'm a member of Bloomfield's "O'Riordan/Abell/Grinter crowd". For me, it's not a matter "Burke is great, but I like my O'Riordan better". I'd rather play my O'Riordans, Water Weasels, Susatos, and even my (improved) Generation than any Burke I've ever tried.

But to each their own. Different people have different styles of playing, and so like different whistles. And if nothing else, the legions of Burke fans out there are probably helping to keep the prices of good whistles down....
Well, I'm in the Generation/Feadog/Humphrey/Overton crowd, and Burkes don't do it for me either. But then, it's probably my problem. ;)
/Bloomfield
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I can't imagine a whistle being nicer than my Humphrey NB D/Eb. There may be some that are as good but I don't think they could be better. I have never played a Burke but I would have to do that before I would buy one. There are several whistles that people have praised here and elsewhere that when I have played them I just didn't like them. It wasn't that they were bad they just weren't for me, a matter of personal preference. Put me in the Alba, Humphrey, Generation, Feadog grouping.
Notice that there are no conical whistles in that group. Whistles to be added are Alba low D and Sweetheart Pro.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

I had a situation the other day. I play in a large contemporary worship band so this should probably be taken with a grain of salt. Any way, it was very loud. I hate to say it (because I love my Overtons and Humphreys) but the only whistles in my arsenal that were loud enough for the set were my Burkes (my low F and low D and alto Bb). None of the other musicians carred who the maker was. They were all just whistle to them and all they knew is that the whistle were not audible. The Burkes seemed to get the vote from the band. I love recording with the Overtons and Humphreys but they just were not getting the volume that was needed. My guess is that it had to do with how chiffy the Overtons are. The slightly purer tone of the Burkes probably sound a little more audible into the mike.

For what it is worth, I love the sounds produced by all types of whistles and do not consider myself appart of any fan club except for the whistle fan club.

P3
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
IrishLass

Post by IrishLass »

Hi All! I am a relative newbie - I have been playing for about a year now. This is my first post, but I wanted to jump in and say that my husband bought a Burke DBSBT for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, and I absolutely LOVE it! I only have four whistles, but this one was immediately my favorite. It is beautiful, and plays like a dream. :) My cheaper whistles don't compare.

IrishLass
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

picardy third wrote:I had a situation the other day. I play in a large contemporary worship band so this should probably be taken with a grain of salt. ....
Oh! Oh! I'm so jealous! I want to play in a worship band, too! With all the teenies screaming and tearing their hair and waving their bras and kissing the ground I walk on, and putting up Bloomfield pictures in their bedrooms and worshipping me. :)
/Bloomfield
alespa
Tell us something.: Music has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Part of what I love about celtic/folk style music is the sound of a handful of handmade instruments that remind me of simpler times.

Post by alespa »

Oh Bloomer :0
There's no such thing as a stranger, just friends we have not yet met.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Bloomfield wrote:
picardy third wrote:I had a situation the other day. I play in a large contemporary worship band so this should probably be taken with a grain of salt. ....
Oh! Oh! I'm so jealous! I want to play in a worship band, too! With all the teenies screaming and tearing their hair and waving their bras and kissing the ground I walk on, and putting up Bloomfield pictures in their bedrooms and worshipping me. :)
P3...what kind of church did you say you go to?