Using the whistle in church services

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Harpgal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Using the whistle in church services

Post by Harpgal »

(Hope this is the correct forum to post this in.)

I've noticed with interest that some of you play on your church worship teams. I'm excited to know that the soaring sound of the whistle is being included now in church music. I recall sitting through several services with contemporary worship music thinking that the whistle, and trad. Irish music needed to be brought into the scene.

Have you any favourite pieces you like to play/hear in the context of worship music?

I've listened to Michael Card's "Starkindler" CD and he does a lovely job of Be Thou My Vision. http://www.michaelcard.com/Default.asp

There is also a fellow from Eugene OR...Joan Doan, who does a great job too. http://www.johndoan.com/
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

A song titled "All I Know" can have a really nice whistle interlude. Also, would like to refer you to http://www.praisewhistlers.com/ , if you'd care to find rather a concentration of worshipping whistlers. (Almost said whistle-worshippers, but there may be more than a few of those here, depending on your interpretation of that term. :) )
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Jim thanks so much for posting the link.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

As organist at my church I've got some say as to music and I've on occasion subbed in whistle during communion. This is not a contemporary
service,but close to being "high church". Most of the membership are elderly and they love the whistle, particularly low whistle.

Many of the hymns in the 1982 or 1940 Hymnal (Episcopal) can be played on whistle. When I saw your post I immediately thought of a version of hymn # 184 by member Claus von Weiss on Easter that was posted on this site a couple of years ago. It was beautiful! I searched through the archives and found the message and link but sadly it kept playing the gower wassail for some reason :-?

Check this site out -
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe ... Flinks.sht

it might be helpful.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

I'll play my whistle on just about anything when I have the chance. I have so much fun when I get the opportunity to play for church. Alas, it doesn't happen very often, since I am the entire worship team for our very small congregation and whistle, while wonderful, isn't a great lead instrument. So I "play" (if you can call it that) the keyboard instead most of the time. Every once in a while I get to hook up with another worship team and then can whistle to my hearts' content.

Have you heard Robin Mark's "Revival In Belfast" CD? Great praise and worship tunes, lots of whistle on everything from fast handclapping tunes (even a jig or two) to slow ballads. Great CD.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

rebl_rn wrote: Have you heard Robin Mark's "Revival In Belfast" CD? Great praise and worship tunes, lots of whistle on everything from fast handclapping tunes (even a jig or two) to slow ballads. Great CD.

Beth
In my church, I play whistles on Be Unto Your Name, from that CD. The music director wants to do more songs where the whistles can be used.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

Yes, that Robin Mark CD is a good example of what can be done. He put out an equally great sequel lately (Revival in Belfast2) (quite ingenious, don't you think?).

Brian Doerksen is a local guy who has written many worship songs performed by others. His own CD, You Shine, is a good example of whistle use, too. James Isaacs on whistle (looked like Copelands in concert).
www.briandoerksen.com

Jef
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Just don't try this in a "Church of Christ," "Primitive Baptist," or some Mennonite congregations... and to be on the safe side, if they are Calvinist AND sing from the Psalter, exercise caution.

Do note, though, that some Church of Christ congregations MIGHT be willing to allow you to sound the opening note of a hymn, with your whistle, to set the pitch.
Reasonable person
Walden
Harpgal

Post by Harpgal »

Prairie Bible Institute (Canada) has put out a duo of Celtic worship CDs that are very beautiful using a variety of trad. tunes and instruments, plus some songs in Gaelic.

God Above, God Below
Kindle My Heart

Both are available through Amazon.com or through Prairie Bible Institute.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

This past Christmas season, I arranged O Holy Night for some of the members of my youth choir. No vocals. Just Viola, Cello, and Guitar. The Guitar had finger picked chords throughout and the Cello and Viola traded melody and counter melody. The guitarist is an adult and very proficient at her craft. After showing her a few of the alternate fingerings for some of the chord inversions I had written, she had it down. My kids however, ambitious as they were, were a little "surprised"(shall we say?) by the exposed nature of a trio like this. I suspect they would have been much more comfortable hiding in the sections they play in at school.

After a few rehearsals I knew I had to double the Cello line on my Copeland low D and get one of the superb recorder players from the church to help fortify the Viola. The rehearsal with all five of us sounded realllly nice. I was very pleased by the mix and blend of all the instruments. As it turned out, our Cello player spaced the start time for the Christmas concert, so I was the only one playing the cello line on low whistle. By Christmas morning, the Cello player had her stuff ready, and the viola player was a little squeamish about her part, so I doubled her part on my high D (also a Copeland) :thumbsup:

It was a real gas. :D I hope to get the chance to do some more like that in the future.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

I play in a worship band which is rather of rock-band setting, so I tended to look for whistles that can pierce through the heavy loudness created by amplified e-guitars, bass and drums.
Relative loud whistles -- Copeland, Chieftain and Overton, those low Ds are some of my weapons, but I have heard comments that Dixons, Burkes and even cane whistles (! and not amplified!) could be heard.

By the way, about a week ago one of the team members brought a praise&worship CD and it featured the pipes. Got to check who it is...it sounded like the blend of Danny Boy and When I Survey the Wondrous Cross.
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Blayne Chastain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Blayne Chastain »

Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Yep I do. Be Thou My Vision, Shout to the North and South, Come, now is the Time to Worship, Before the Throne of God. A couple others. I really like my Burke for that kind of thing.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Yep I do too....

I try most songs in D as that is my primary whistle - an original clark. It is rather soft tho so I usually take it up an octave to cut through. (sometimes I try my Impempe which is a little louder) I have done When the music fades, Come now is the time, awesome God, Lord I lift your name on high, More Love More Power etc...I play a trumpet usually but prefer the whistle by far. I am too tied into the music with my trumpet, whereas with a whistle it frees me up to just JAM along and do some frilly bits. I want to try using my electronic bagpipe when next we do an Eb number, I jam along to Matt Redmans "when the music fades" and "Jesus Christ" at home on CD and have a blast, perhaps I will even pull out the GHB. Maybe they will kick me out. Maybe my wife will kick me out. O the joys of the celtic instruments!

Ian
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
missy

Post by missy »

in a Catholic setting, if you are using "Gather"....
All the Ends of the Earth (responsorial)
Now the Green Blade Rises
Sing of the Lord's Goodness (you can add some great triplet runs on this)

And other songs if you can "talk" the darn guitar players into playing more in D!!! (I know, I know, I just like my D whistle the best!).

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com