Feeling Safe?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
suejnnhe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Feeling Safe?

Post by suejnnhe »

Tim Allen had this to say about Martha Stewart:

"Boy, I feel safer now that she's behind bars. O.J. Simpson & Kobe Bryant
are walking around; Osama Bin Laden too, but they take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."

Whew! I feel better already! :lol: :lol: :lol:

HeySue!
HeySue!
_________
Don't Panic!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:lol:

Yes, I must say that I feel safe and secure as well.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

This is an off-topic that deserves a rant, but in the Christmas spirit, I'll pass, almost.

I will add that the most of the senior executives of Enron and Worldcom are enjoying the holidays at home too, while the thousands of employees and investors they robbed are worrying about how to save their homes, pay their bills etc. It is not a coincidence that the Enron folks were among the largest contributors to the Bush team in 2000.

Martha will do her time and come back, and help folks decorate for the next Christmas. She'll be okay and her company will proposer.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The whole Enron thing makes me retch with anger. It's such an obvious case of people buying their way out of trouble I can't believe it has been allowed.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Flyingcursor wrote:The whole Enron thing makes me retch with anger. It's such an obvious case of people buying their way out of trouble I can't believe it has been allowed.
"Money doesn't talk,it swears..."

Bob Dylan.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

... and yet, we keep electing the fools who make it possible... (that's the blanket "we", not the individual "we", as I know many of us make it a point to vote against the current power structure)... why do we so enjoy being lied to and manipulated that even when we know that's what's being done, we smile and go along? I think it's a drug effect ... sigh.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

dwinterfield wrote:It is not a coincidence that the Enron folks were among the largest contributors to the Bush team in 2000.
Does anyone have the figures of how much they contributed to the Gore team? People like that are usually in EVERYONE'S pocket and would have gottent he same result whomever was "elected." That is just how they work. Fun, isn't it?
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

IDAwHOa wrote:
dwinterfield wrote:It is not a coincidence that the Enron folks were among the largest contributors to the Bush team in 2000.
Does anyone have the figures of how much they contributed to the Gore team? People like that are usually in EVERYONE'S pocket and would have gottent he same result whomever was "elected." That is just how they work. Fun, isn't it?
That would be interesting to know as well. You are right... they tend to play both sides of any fence and tap all sources to gain and maintain power.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

I believe if memory serves me, that although the contributions to the Democrats were sizable, contributions to the GOP was around six times as much.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Jeff Stallard

Post by Jeff Stallard »

Someone show me the bill Bush vetoed that would have put the Enron guilty in jail and then I'll blame the president. Congress makes the laws. Blame the Republican congressmen, not the president.
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

vomitbunny wrote:I believe if memory serves me, that although the contributions to the Democrats were sizable, contributions to the GOP was around six times as much.
So, what you're saying is that the democratic party can be bought more cheaply than the republican party? :lol: :lol: :lol:
John
-------
The Internet is wonderful. Surely there have always been thousands of people deeply concerned about my sex life and the quality of my septic tank but before the Internet I never heard from any of them.
suejnnhe

Post by suejnnhe »

Jeeze guys, it was just a little funny! :)

HeySue!
HeySue!
_________
Don't Panic!
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

Just a little funny.

I don't have the exact figures at my fingertips, but I saw an interesting figure for the last election cycle (and the one before, though not quite as pronounced): per/contributer donations to the Democratic party were MUCH bigger than to the Republicans - a factor of 5x or 10x as much. The average contribution to the Republicans was well under $1000 - the average contribution to the Democrats was well over that figure.

Don't really know which party had more overall money - but it's entirely possible that the Republicans had 6x as many contributors, even if they had less money (though my gut suspicion is that the parties were at rough parity).

But the largest donations, both average and individual (by George Soros) were to the the Democrats.

I'm not sure I trust either party when they're raising funds. But the available evidence doesn't point at the Republicans being the main offenders.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

suejnnhe wrote:Jeeze guys, it was just a little funny! :)

HeySue!
C'mon, Sue -

You play in the politico/religio/ethics thread. Surely you know that there is no such thing here as "just a" anything.

Actually, I always found Martha just a little unsettling. Anybody that perfect has to be either an android, a Stepford wife, or a televangelist.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Les Cruttenden

Respnse to Dubhlinn

Post by Les Cruttenden »

I'ts been going on forever...people buying themselves out of trouble that is.It's pervasive..reaches into the left and right as well as the centre of society...It's what happens...it's the' power corrupts' thing.It's up to the individual to live above it...and get on with their whistle playing! Happy new yeasr. Les. :party: