Any suggestions about good Irish music DVDs?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Any suggestions about good Irish music DVDs?

Post by dwinterfield »

I have a good HD TV and surround sound set-up. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions of DVDs of Irish music that take full advantage of surround sound and similar technologies.

I'm not an IRTM purist although I won't going for a Clannard DVD.

Actually I'm also curious about good dvds that may not take fullest advantage of all a good sound/video system has to offer. Browsing the local Borders or Best Buy hasn't given me any ideas.

Thanks
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I'll second that... wonderful live performance, and interesting DVD extras.
Although I haven't ordered it yet, I'm going to get the 'Dubliners: 40 Years - Live From the Gaiety (2003)', which is a 2-disc set... I'm a huge Dubs fan! ;)
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

The Planxty show is great -- if you get one, that should be it. I think you'll be impressed by the sound -- I was absolutely blown away by the percussive sound of the mando/bouzouki combination. I know there's some post-show mixing, but I'm absolutely amazed that they can do that in a live show.

Slightly less traditional is the Solas DVD, featuring the original lineup sans John Williams (I love John W, but Mick is a damn fine musician in his own right). If you like a little more bottom in your music, John Doyle's guitar provides more than the Christy's in the Planxty DVD, plus they let John sing a song.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
toughknot

Post by toughknot »

Try www.shopPBS.com You may be surprised to find the selection they have
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.