Whats it take to be a Whistle maker

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CHIFF FIPPLE
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Whats it take to be a Whistle maker

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

DaleWisely wrote:
and in recent days, to avoid negative and unfair competition among whistlemakers.
So how much of a whistle must you make to call yourself,or be called a Whistle Maker.
None.
Some.
Or all.
Mabe its time to make it clear.
Whistlesmith
Whistleproducer
WhistlerMaker
WhistleSeller
Whistlerplayer
Who'es Who and What's what :-?
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
DanTheWhistleMan

Post by DanTheWhistleMan »

I think the most of us are whistlebuyers :D
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You forgot one important term: whistlewright -- one who makes whistles from wood.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

chas wrote:You forgot one important term: whistlewright -- one who makes whistles from wood.
An old woodworking friend of mine liked the term Wood Butcher... :lol:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I know a Whistlejones, but I can't keep up with him.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It takes grit.
And spunk.

That's all.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
John S

Post by John S »

TMI

John S

(It's a UK thang)
pizak

Post by pizak »

Simply this.... if you make a whistle that someone (even yourself) plays then your a whistlemaker....

If you only play it in a soundproofed room on your own.... your not a very good whistlemaker! :lol:

Paul
Jim Wright

Whistle Maker

Post by Jim Wright »

I consider my self a "whistle maker" because I have made several whistles that actually whistle - some even in tune. I am not a "master whistle maker" because there are a "few" differences between mine and yours.

Yours looks like a high quality instrument - while mine looks like a piece of misguided water pipe.

One of mine has a beautiful lower octave and I am still looking for the high notes.

One of mine has a loud lower octave and a very quite second.

One of mine plays very well in both octaves .. it was the last whistle I made. I probably just got lucky and got it all right on one - so I quit while I was ahead and am happy to know it actually happened.

Think the difference between a whistle maker and a master whistle maker is the ability to consistently produce quality instruments that meets the needs of many different players and then to be able to market these instruments. I also think that there are some that take it a step farther and are able to tailor their whistles to the playing styles and desires of their clients on an individual basis.

I have a whistle that was made for me .. .. and fits me very well. It cured my WHOAs as far as the Low Ds. It is one that seems to grow with me as my abilities increase and this was one of the requests that I made of the maker and he delivered.

I am glad I tried to make a few whistles .. helped me appreciate how much goes into a really good whistle.

Jim
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

It takes bodacious fipples, which I wish I had but I don't...
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

John S wrote:TMI

John S

(It's a UK thang)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
susnfx

Re: Whats it take to be a Whistle maker

Post by susnfx »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:So how much of a whistle must you make to call yourself,or be called a Whistle Maker.
All of it (or at least buy the parts to make it with), but most importantly you must make it with the intention of selling it for a profit.

Susan
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

I had a crappy sounding Feadog that I tweaked into something even more horrible sounding. I removed the head and stomped it into the ground and replaced it with a Hoover WhiteCap. I made a very nice whistle out of it. This does not make me a whistlemaker.

I have tremendous respect for those that actually work at this trade. To be able to make an instrument that produces beautiful sounds even in my hands is beyond my ability. To invest the time and energy to do so as an occupation is beyond my comprehension. I am grateful that there those that do so.
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

I think that whether or not you make a whistle for yourself or for profit... if you make a whistle with your own hands, materials you've collected, whatever design or concept you've come up with or are going off of, and your own desire to do so, then you're a whistle maker.

However, I think the common theme that comes to mind when someone sees the capitalized words "Whistle Maker" or even just "whistlemaker" is someone who has taken up making / tweaking whistles on a large or repetative scale and selling them to the public.

It's kind of like "whistlesmith" as some people choose to use. In my mind, that word brings to mind specifically those that make whistles to sell them. "smith"ing just sort of brings to mind blacksmith, gunsmith, etc. All those who make, remake, retool, refine, manufacture, repair, etc.

So... I'd say it's like most things on here... open to interpretation! :D

C-ME!
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

It takes thick skin.
Reasonable person
Walden