Teenage Daughters

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Teenage Daughters

Post by PhilO »

Ok, how many times a day does your teenage daughter lovingly thwack you, disdainfully sneer, roll her eyes, shake her head, or commit some other derisive geture in response to bad puns, apparent lack of logic in an explanation, boredom with repeated adages or tales, or plain disinterest or lack of understanding or knowledge of something you've uttered?

I'll start: On average 27. :D

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
carrie

Post by carrie »

WhatEVER. *accompanied by disgusted eyeroll*

Get a lot of those around here. If you haven't yet, btw, you really should read 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter and other tips from a beleaguered father [not that any of them work] by W. Bruce Cameron. It's really funny.

Carol
SirNick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

My 20 year old didn't understand why I demanded her to remove her butt from bed before noon everyday, so she moved out and now sneers, rolls her eyes and all the other great traits over the phone. She did however leave her apprentice behind to take over the task. My 9 year old daughter!! I can already see the DNA embedded teenage girl traits coming out in her.
"You have my undivided attention"
missy

Post by missy »

does it just have to be DAUGHTERS???? My sons (17 and 13) are very good at that, too.
Of course, I, on the other hand, have profected the art of totally embarressing them! :D

Missy
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

In my experience the male of the species avoids almost completely these obnoxious behaviours. Most teenage males I have met are early to rise, respectful to parents, hardworking, polite and greatful. Perhaps laziness, rudeness, and discontent with parents is genetically hardwired into females?

Chris
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Mine don't do that much. My eldest pouts and feels sorry for herself and the youngest glares. They both like to storm outside though when their delicate sensibilities have been offended by such concepts as "work", "picking up after yourselves" etc have been broached. Thwacking wouldn't happen.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
trisha

Post by trisha »

Phil...I've got it in stereo (nearly 15 and 13). I have to say though that it's almost always Dad who's uncool. I can just about keep up with the girls' hormones, mood swings, ups'n'downs. Their Dad's still mystified at mine :D and, naturally, I'm the most easy going, calm, understanding individual this side of the Atlantic :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really though, it's the 7yo (boy) who is by far the most moody, but with 4 sisters he feels he has a right to be...it's just so tiring trying to be different from the girls in every way he can dream up :roll:

Trisha
trisha

Post by trisha »

Oh and the thwacking they lovingly reserve for each other...sigh.

Trisha
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I've been very fortunate. My daughter is 19 and at her worst, maybe 3 times per week. I'm a lucky dad.
JamesF

Post by JamesF »

I used to cringe when my sister talks back to my parents. But they never laid a finger on her so I stopped worrying.
I got a black eye back in 2000 for answering back. Six slaps on the same cheek really gets the message across. :D
emmline

Post by emmline »

You'd have to ask my spouse. I think he feels very ganged up on, but would consider me almost as culpable in his condition as our daughters, ages 17, 15, and 14.
Because there seems to be something lurking on the Y chromosome which causes the males of our gene pool (husband and 12 year old son included) to sometimes be not quite tuned in to the operative frequency, the girls tend to rely on the matriarchy when they need any decisive advice, actions, decisions, etc...Just ask the dog, (a girl.) It's a really alpha-female culture here.
Wow. I hope it doesn't sound too nasty. We love the guys...we really do, and we try not to overwhelm them.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Ok, now the other shoe: She also happens to be self motivated (has always done her homework before anything else without ever being told), does very well in school, earns the respect of her peers and teachers, is well organized, trustworthy, has wonderful values and displays generally really sound judgment. Think I should forgive those little thwacks? :D

Daddy Philo :lol:
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Hils

Post by Hils »

They can have an entire conversation with a parent just using sighs, eyes, breaths and looks, but when talking to friends on the phone they need at least 2 hours all verbal too.
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

I can't believe our kids don't think we're cool!?!? I mean, we play the whistle, learn lots of old traditional songs and hang out on the internet with other people who play the whistle and talk about cool things like; whistles, people who make whistles, people who play whistles, and stuff like that. They're the one's who aren't cool!!!! What is their problem? They just need to shut up and learn Morrisons Jig or something!!!!
"You have my undivided attention"
emmline

Post by emmline »

Yes Nick. My 15 year old, in particular, is very, ahem, impressed by my coolness as exhibited by my participation in C&F discussions. :roll: